Getting Treatments/haircuts at a Beauty School - Anyone ??

Since I'm pregnant now (unexpected) and possibly splitting with baby's daddyI need to watch my money for real.
I don't want to look like Gollum though and was thinking about the beauty schools offereing services for much less.

Do any of you utilize their services on a regular basis?
I'm a little scared, but then again, they're always under supervision.

Anyone?

@ AnabelD
I have no intentions on going to get my hair cut every 2 weeks or so, but I haven't had a cut since February (5 !!!!!!! months). Just because I'm pregnant I still have to take care of myself too! I was not talking about spa treatments or such, but hair cuts and possible color (once in a while). =(

Ignore Anabel... she's a troll

The GREAT thing about beauty schools (most of them) is that if the student messes up/ you're unhappy, one of the instructors will recut. SO BIG TIP, don't do a drastic cut, or there will not be anything for the instructor to work with.

I get my hair cut at the Toni and guy academy in Carrollton all the time and I have never had a bad haircut from there. Plus it's super cheap at $17 rather than the $60 plus I used to pay.

Ignore Anabel... she's a troll

My daughter went through the local beauty college.
You can get all kinds of services for much cheaper. Haircuts, nails, facials, pedicures...the list is pretty endless.
In order to complete their training, they have to have so many hours of education and so many hours of hands on. Of course all things are supervised. They actually rely on people coming in to give them the experience they need before they can graduate.
I think this is a wonderful idea. You can get services for much cheaper and the students get their experience. It's a win-win.
We have many elderly people in our community that go in for their services on a regular basis. They obviously don't get the same person each time because the students rotate out, but it's actually good for the students to practice on these clients as far as being gentle, using gentle products, accommodating their physical needs.
I think you should go for it. The instructors are always right there.
I don't know anyone who has been unhappy that they went there. They even do prom and up-do's, makeup....
Schedule an appointment and see how they do.

Best wishes.

Added - Anabel, only judging your answers, not your efforts at looking for drinking buddies...though the picking up of a guy to take you home could land you in oh so much trouble...

Hi AO, D. here.
I'm sorry about your SO. (I don't know whether to call him husband or ex, so I'll just call him your significant other.)

I had my nails done at a beauty school for $5 many a year ago, and I even let them give me highlights. The instructor did it in front of them as a teaching lesson. I was evidently a good example for them to have because the instructor was UNSUCCESSFUL at getting the highlights to appear. As a brunette, her way didn't work. I didn't let them ever do my hair again.

Do you have an easy hair style that isn't too hard for them to mess up? If you can trust them to cut your hair (not a lot of layers, etc) then it might be worth it with your financial situation to try.

I'm sorry Anabel was so glib to your situation. She is rounding up takers for going out drinking right now (her previous post a few minutes ago) and I think she might have started early.

First......... IGNORE Anabel.. It is just a troll on here. You can tell by looking at the 1 and only post which is in regards to getting drunk and every other response had been negative.... It is almost comical that she believes we don't buy her sincerity.. She's already drunk or more at this point.

As for the hair college, Of course you need to take care of yourself. I am not the type that would go to a hair college but my suggestion is to keep the cut and color simple so that the risk for disaster is minimal.

Good luck to you!!

Depends on what you want done. If your hair is super thick, curly, and long, then yeah, you could get a trim done there. If, like me, you have super fine, short, light blond hair that shows every mistake, then stay far, far away from the beauty school students. In my experience, beauty schools aren't THAT much cheaper than regular salons in some ways (manicures and pedicures, for instance), and the stuff they are cheaper on (color, highlights), I'm not totally sure I'd trust a student with. But like I said, my hair shows every mistake. If yours doesn't, then I don't see what harm could come of getting your hair cut there. (And hey, it's hair, right? It grows back! ;)

I had my hair done at Aveda once and the gal took a while but it was one of the best haircuts I've ever had. All she used was a razor (I think that's why it took so long). I'm not sure but it may have been more of a training center rather than a beauty school. I usually just go to Style America and pay around $15.00.

I've gone to the Ogle School in N Dallas for a couple of years. It has its pros and cons. Pros: It is super super cheap! You can get your hair cut for $9 and your hair colored or highlighted for around $25-$30! I have had my hair colored and highlighted there several times, cut several times, and have had a manicure and a pedicure once. I have to say I have mostly had great experiences, with a couple of exceptions. I had one guy that was awesome with color, but only so-so with the cuts, but it was okay. I've also walked out with awesome cuts. This last time though - was the worst haircut of my life!! I'm a little afraid to go back, though I'm sure I will - I'll just ask for a Senior. Another pro is even if they aren't a senior stylist, they do have an instructor watching over them or helping them.
Cons: You can't get to attached to one stylist because they graduate after you've seen they 2 or 3 times, which kind of sucks. It does take a really long time sometimes, so don't plan to be anywhere after! You do run the risk of a bad cut, of course, I've gotten bad cuts in some of the cheap chain type places too!
I know Ogle has lots of locations - the one I went to was at Preston & Campbell - they have a website you can checkout for other locations.
Good luck & Congrats on the baby!!

1 / 3