Fun, Free Things to Do with a 6 and 2 Yr Old

My great grandchildren will be here for a week. They come all the way from Alaska for a month in Texas. The Odessa family is taking the to Carlsbad. The Austin family will take them to the coast. My daughter and I live on very limited incomes and our kids don't want or expect us to spend any money, but we would like to do somethings special that the kiddos will remember.
I have found a beautiful place to feed the ducks and the swans and I remember how much kids love that. I also thought of taking them to see the big horses at Owens Spring Creek Farm. Both of these are Free!!
We live in at Plano Rd. and Spring Valey in Richardson and they will be here June 30th. (terrible time for Alaskans to come to Texas! Good thing they are native Texans)
I appreciate any ideas you have.
Thanks and God bless

WOW!! I am overwhelmed with the wonderful input from my Mamasourse friends. I think we will have a great time. Yes we do plan to spend time just being friends. I bot a new kiddie pool and have a bunch of new books. Thanks to all!

Metroplex Moms always has a great calendar of things to do. We just went to a free junior fishing event yesterday in Carrollton-it was tons of fun and they provided the fishing equipment for free. Good Luck

http://www.metroplexbaby.com/Scoop.htm

The Dallas Museum of Art is free on Tuesdays and they have a great kids program in the morning. I think it starts at 10 or 10:30. We went once with my 2 1/2 yr old and it was great. They made hats, had dancing "class" and got to play in the kids area. I think a 6 yr old would like it even more b/c it is art!
Also the Nasher is free on the first Sat or Sun of the month (check their website). It's a great spot in the middle of down town that kids can run around, parents can admire the art.

The Galleria has free puppet shows on weekends I think at 11 - by the kids play area outside of Nordstorms - 3rd floor.

You may want to pick up a copy of Dallas Child - any kids store should have it. They always have a list of events for the month.

Oh - and most public libraries have story time for kids - you may want to check the website for the one closest to you. It may be too young for the 6 yr old if she/he likes to read maybe they can browse the books.

http://www.metroplexbaby.com/Scoop.htm

Hi D.,
I copied and pasted a newsletter I received of 25 Free (or Cheap)! Things to do this summer. Or you can go to the website to get the list http://www.momsoutloud.com/momsknow/highlight/id/25-free-... Just copy and paste into your browser. Hope this helps :) If it doesn't come out go to www.momsoutloud.com
"The Garage Door Lady"

May 28, 2009

In This Issue
Join us on Facebook and Twitter
MomsPlan: Calendar Highlights & Summer Camp Guide
25 Free (or Cheap!) Things to Do with Your Kids This Summer in DFW
Last Chance for Special Summer Camp Savings
MomsSupport: Come Play With Us!
New Coupons!
Join Our List

Join us on the Web!
On Face book? Join our group! You can find us by clicking this link: Moms Out Loud Facebook group.
You can also follow us on Twitter at MomsOutLoudDFW.

MomsPlan: Summer Camp Guide & Calendar of Events Highlights
If you're planning for Summer Camps, be sure to check out our Guide and our exclusive discounts!

Be sure to check out our calendar of events for what's happening in your town! Below are the highlights:

Thursday only:
- Dallas, Cool Thursday Series at Dallas Arboretum, 7:30pm

Friday only:
- Carrollton, Preschool Playdate at Bounce U, 10am
- Dallas, The Slappy & Monday Comedy Hour at Slappy's Playhouse, (Fri-Sun) 7pm
- Ft. Worth, New Parents Tour at Amon Carter Museum, 10:30am
- Grapevine, Fireworks Fridays at Grapevine Lake, 9pm

Saturday Only:
- Carrollton, $5 Early Bird Bounce at Bounce U, 8am
- Dallas, Memorial Day Medal at Lakeshore Learning, 11am
- Plano, Family Fitness Day at My Gym, 9:30am

Throughout the weekend:
- Dallas, Charlotte's Web at Slappy's Playhouse, (Thur-Sun) Varies by day
- Hurst, Wimberly the Duck at Artisan Theatre, (Sat-Sun) Varies by day

All Month:
- Dallas, Free Popcorn at Slappy's Puppet Playhouse in Dallas - click link to find out how!

May 20-31:
- Memorial Day Sale at Lone Star Baby & Kids, 3 locations! Dallas, Frisco, North Richland Hills

Save the Date for These Upcoming Events!!

to be held June 6th at the EDS campus in Plano

- Frisco, 5th Annual Healthy Hometown at Centennial Medical Center, June 13th at 9am
- Wylie, In-Sync Exotics Big Cat Birthday Bash, June 13th at 11am
- North Richland Hills, Baby Gear 101 at Lone Star Baby & Kids, June 23rd at 6:30pm
- Allen, Celebrate Freedom 2009 at Southfork Ranch, June 27th at 10am
- McKinney, 14th Annual Killis Melton's Ice Cream Crank Off, Chestnut Square Historic Village, July 4th at 10am
- The Colony, North Texas Kids Splashfest at Hawaiian Falls, July 18th at 11am

25 Free (or Cheap!) Things to Do with Your Kids this Summer in DFW

As the school year winds down, many of us look upon the summer with a mix of happy anticipation and abject panic. The question that runs through every Mom's mind is: HOW am I going to keep the kids entertained?

We've got THE LIST of fun, inexpensive activities for families all over DFW. From log cabins to modern art, splash parks to movie theaters, McKinney to Mansfield - it's all here!

Print it out and post on the fridge, send it to your friends - and above all, don't miss out!!

Some Summer Camp specials still running!

MomsSupport: Where in the World is MOL-ly?
Come play with us!

Polly Harrison
DFW Market Mom

My family and I just returned from a week on the Texas coast and I was reminded how great summer can be with my boys. We try to seize the opportunity to explore and play while indulging every excuse to stay up late (well, maybe not EVERY excuse). MomsOutLoud wants to help you enjoy these lazy days of summer by sponsoring fun events geared toward entertaining families and protecting your budget. We have several outings planned that are bound to have your family getting in the swing of summer in no time! You can find us at the Lone Star Kids Baby Gear 101, Celebrate Freedom 2009, 14th Annual Killis Melton's Ice Cream Crank Off in McKinney & the North Texas Kids Splashfest at Hawaiian Falls in The Colony, just to name a few. Go to MomsSupport to find out all about these activities. Don't go it alone this summer! Come play with us!!!

Did you miss the interview with me on the North Texas Kids Radio Show on 100.7 KWRD? Go to MomsSupport to find the link to the podcast.

Just a reminder, I'm currently speaking to parenting groups on Adventures in DFW and How They Relate to Multiple Intelligences. If you're interested in booking me for your organization, email me directly and I can add you to the calendar. ____@____.com

New Coupons!
We got such a great response to our coupons last week when we highlighted them in the newsletter that we'll be doing this ongoing.

Go to Coupons List

Here's a list of companies recently adding coupons:

Adventure Kids Playcare

Boomerang's
Bounce U-Carrollton
Cavanaugh Flight Museum
Club Z Tutoring
Companion Trailers
Dawn Michelle Photography
DFW Center for Autism
Gymboree Play & Music
The Ice at Stonebriar Center
Ideal Image
Lone Star Baby & Kids
Maid Brigade
Museum of the American Railroad
Paige's Swim School

Forward email

This email was sent to ____@____.com by ____@____.com.
Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe™ | Privacy Policy. Email Marketing by

Moms Out Loud | 6009 W. Parker Road, | Suite 149, MB 156 | Plano | TX | 75093

D.,

I was just looking at the special events at the zoo and thought of you. It is not entirely free but $1 for the zoo sounds pretty good I thought:

HIP HIP HOORAY IT'S DOLLAR DAY! (July 2nd)
Admission is just $1 all day at your Dallas Zoo! Skip the parking and ride the DART Red Line directly to the Dallas Zoo station! (Parking $5)

Enjoy the time with your family whatever you do!

There is an awesome park just one block north of the Owens farm. Also the Spring Creek forest preserve is close to you, off of Holford road between Arapaho Rd. and George Bush. Wear old clothes and go down into the creek to collect fossils. Kids love it! My kids love to go to their grandmother's and play dominoes, work puzzles and play board games. Sometimes they bake cookies. Enjoy their visit!

There are so many wonderful parks in the area. Also there are a few fun swim places that are very cheep. Just north of you in Allen is the Don Radenbaugh Natatorium. Also Allen has a free out door water/splash park off of Angel. The spray park is closed on Wednesdays. http://www.cityofallen.org/departments/parks_recreation/p... You could picnic at the park and let the kids play on the playground. Many parents of little children wear bathing suits or clothes they don't mind getting wet and will play with their kids too. There are bathrooms to change in also.

The city of Frisco has a pool too. It's prices are slightly higher than the pool in Allen. http://www.friscofun.org/aquatic/Pages/AdmissionFees.aspx

Kids also like board games and just to play. Have you ever been to Frisco Resale? It is located off of Main in Frisco. The resale shop has many items and some board games. All of the money spent at the resale shop is used to feed the hungry in frisco and run charity programs for the people. So not only can you get some inexpensive items, I bought my dining room table for $50 there, but you help to feed the hungry.

I second the suggestion for the library. The storytimes are wonderful, and the Bookmarks children's library branch at NorthPark Mall has fun furniture, computers, and some absolutely amazing activities if you get there on the right day. My daughter has done Kindermusik, a Kabuki play, and seen The Critterman there. They have weekly activities for children of all ages, but the Saturday special events are wonderful. Here's a link to the Saturday schedule: http://dallaslibrary.org/bookmarks.php

I can't think of anything free, but do know of some low cost things to do. The Dallas Aboretum (www.dallasaboretum.org)at White Rock lake is fun for both kids and adults. Fair Park is free to get in, but the museums do have an entry fee. The museum of nature and science (used to be the Science Place www.natureandscience.org) is tons of fun for kids that age. The Harbor in Rockwall on lake Ray Hubbard has a spray park and places to play and picnic on the lake - and it's free!

1 / 3