Friend Allowed 14Yo to Get Piercings/tattoo

Hi all,

Just recently I learned a friend of mine allowed her 14yo daughter to get a tattoo along with a belly button ring and gauges for her ears. I myself was shocked, I think this girl is way too young, especially to be getting a tattoo. The last two times I've seen her daughter I've noticed her clothing choices are more "tiny" I guess you could say as to show off her new body accessories. Am I a prude (I'm in my 30's) or are there other parents/care givers out there that think 14 is too young too for body art? I feel like her mom turned her young daughter into a peep show for horny teenage boys and I think it's wrong. But then again, maybe I'm wrong in the way I'm thinking about this situation??

My girlfriend was 20 when she had this daughter but she was married to the daughters father (since divorced though).

Pretty much everyone I know that's gotten a tattoo before the age of 20 has regretted them. It sounds like the girl's mom is too busy being the "cool mom". I don't think you are being a prude at all. I am not a prude, but I think 14 is too young for all of that.

My father worked at a tattoo shop when I was growing up. I was 12 the first time I saw someone get tattooed and decided then and there I wanted one. My dad was all for it, my mother who had custody of my brother and I (and who was the one I was watching get the tattoo in the first place) said "When you're 18 you can do what you want". I ended up waiting until I was 20 before getting that first piece, because at 18, I finally realized why she made me wait. I had no idea what I wanted, or where for that matter. Making me wait forced me to really think about what and if I really wanted. Fast forward 30 years, my brother is now a very talented tattooist. and yup, my 14 year old has decided that she wants a tattoo. I told her "When you're 18 you can do what you want."

Crazy to let a 14 year old make body altering decisions.

And, I do have a tattoo and piercings - but I was in my late 20s when I acquired them - self supporting, mortgage holding adult.

I told my daughter that she could get any piercing she wanted at any age she wanted, because if she changed her mind and decided she didn't want it, all she had to do was take out the jewelry and let the holes close.
For a tattoo, she would have to wait until she was 18, because it's permanent, and I didn't want her getting stuck with something stupid that seemed like a good idea when she was a kid.
She took her time deciding what she wanted and got her first tattoo for her 21st birthday.

I might allow a piercing, but never a tattoo. I had a piercing when I was 18, I wore it for a while, got tired of it and let the hole close up. You would never know it was ever there now. Tattoos are forever and I think that allowing a 14 year old to get one displays very poor judgment on mom's part.

I personally feel 14 is too young for tattoos in MOST cases, although many peoples across the world would disagree with me. Some who start tattooing at significant points in a child's life starting at about age 7 or puberty (13/14 ish). I can think of a few instances where I'd break my own rule on that one. Like if we were visiting some of those peoples, or the death of a parent. But in general, for permanent body art, I would want my son to wait.

The piercing doesn't bother me. Holes grow closed. Infants get pieced in our culture.

The only way my child(ren) will ever have a tattoo is if they are grown, out of my house, no longer reliant on me financially and pay for it themselves.

What good could possibly come from a 14 year old having something permanently inked on her body? Nothing. You are not off in your thinking. Mom is letting her head down a path that probably won't end in a healthy or wholesome way.

Yuck

If you are a prude, so am I, and so is my husband, and so are all of our friends. 14 is far too young. But, you can only control and worry about what your own children do.

I almost pity that young girl. Kids her age need boundaries and limitations in dress and behavior, and they need guidance from their parents. I hope all works out well for her. Hopefully this amounts to nothing and we are being too prudish!

=)

1 / 3