Frequent Menstruation

As I get older, my periods get more and more frequent. I just turned 44, have one child, and am now getting a period every 17-19 days. My gynecologist sends me for a pelvic ultrasound every year with no unusual findings (THANK GOD!). Is any one else experiencing frequent periods like this? I thought they'd get less frequent as I get older. I'm pretty tired of constantly being affected by this. I get all the cravings, bloating, cramps, headaches and fatigue ...just more often now. I used birth control pills for about 3 years, but not since I had my child about 8 years ago. Any input would be appreciated.

I will be 50 this year, and I had always been "regular" like clock work. When I turned 45 a lot of things went wack-o. I would have periods that lasted 7 days, and lingered 7 more. This went on until I had 3 months without a period and then I was back to regular period for about 6 months. then I had what I called predictable chaos. I got adolescent pimples (that I never had as an adolescent) and all that kookie pre-menstural stuff. My pds could last 3-10 days could be heavy or light accompanied by pain or not....There were a couple of times I had to go home from work, because I felt like I had narcolepsy!!!! and then 24 hrs later I would have my period....I's a crazy time. Just keep in touch with your ob-gyn and fasten your seat belt...it could be a bumpy ride!

are you stressed out about things?
stress has a direct result on hormonal fluctuations.
have you considered acupunture?

You may want to consider that your what is called Peri-Menopause which is the begining stages. I too was experience this and it was suggested that I try bio-identical hormone replacement. They use your saliva which is which test your homormone level at the cellular level verses what is free in the blood that filters through the liver not always giving you correct result, plus in order for blood work to work it needs to be done on the correct day. The place I was referred to an now I refer all my members to is called Profilehealth they accept insurance and everything can be done the the mail or you can go into a facility. I am just always so busy the mail works great for me. There website is at http://www.profilehealth.com and you can call J. ###-###-#### who is the billing manager to see if your insurance will take care of not only the test but also the prescribed compounded creams.

When I first took the test I found I was not producing hardly any hormones, so when the Dr. told me it was not all in my head that was great since I was suffering from, anxiety, foggy head, frequent periods just to name a few. After about 7 months I retook the test and I had asymulated the hormones really well and was taken off everything except for progestrone. Another great thing is I lost about 15 lbs that I had not been able to lose. So obviously this is just one suggestion and I know others will have some great ones for you too, however should you have any question please feel free to call me at ###-###-#### and of course J. at ProfileHealth. Best Health to You! D.

Hi J. - I am experiencing the same thing you are. I have one child and am 46 and my periods are coming about every 20 to 21 days with all the usual symptoms. I am very healthy overall so I try not to worry about it, but it is a bummer! As long as your doctor can't find anything wrong then I wouldn't worry about it. I am accepting it as a part of getting older... what else can you do? Take care and know you are not the only one.

Hi J. H,

Unfortunitely sounds like the beginnings of menopause, have you tried taking calcium tablets that has always worked for me when the cramps started coming on I never got cramps till I hit my 40's, and the periods got longer and longer. I'm 47 now and have't seen any less frequent periods yet. Hang in there.

I had that happen before I stopped flowing, peri-menopause, at 55. It was exhausting along with other life changes!! Have you looked into nutrition, mineral balancing and vitamins, especially since you are losing so much blood. I was told to purify my diet also, eliminate red meats(these days very high in added animal hormones),sugar and processed foods. Do some detox and colon cleansing. Maybe Dr. Christiana Northrup's book on Womens Health will have some answers.

Dear J.,

I know how troubling that can be! I am your age, but started menopause early--possibly due to a lot of physical challenges. Nonetheless, a few years ago my periods (always painful but regular) began to be much more frequent. Sometimes I had period symptoms nearly every week, with bleeding not always correlating as anticipated. They were miserable; sometimes I bled heavier than usual, sometimes much lighter.

After a while, they seemed to "level" back out a little bit, but I would sometimes skip (bleeding, not symptoms). Later on everything would skip--up to several months at a time. During all of this I had the menopausal symptoms of hot flashes, hormonal fluxuations, etc., all very frustrating.

It has now been well over a year since my last period and the hormones seem to be settling out. I do not do any HRT, but am reasonably tuned to nutritional needs and supplements that the body seems to want.

Good luck! I know that every woman is different, but I hope that this helps a little bit.

C. A. (working at home & home school mother to two sons, 11 & 15)

I would get a different dr for a second opinion.
Your doctor should at least have put you back on BCPs.
There is obviously a reason for your problem and you should not let your doctor tell you there is nothing wrong.
Of course, I'm only 32, and it sounds like the others are saying this is normal, so what do I know?

1 / 3