Food Suggestions for 14 Mo Old

I have a 14 mo. old son and I am having trouble getting him to eat different table foods. He gagged on pieces of puffs until he was over 10 months old. When I would try for instance mash potatoes around this time, he would gag and throw up the baby food I had just fed him. He would spit out the itty bitty chunks in the Gerber 3 foods for the longest time and started eating those well around 12 months. I have been trying so hard to get him to switch to table foods and have had some success. He will eat just about any fruit I give him, Gerber cereal bars, puffs, cheerios, grilled cheese & sweet potato fries. Other than that if I try to feed it to him he will spit it out or not even look at it and shake his head no. Which leads to him being frustrated as well as me and we stop. I just remove the tray and wasted food and try again later, or feed him the baby food. He goes to daycare two days a week and I let them try whatever they are having, usually to more success than I have. And then I will try what he has ate for them and it is usually to no avail. The grilled cheese was a success. His Dr at 12 mo visit just said to keep trying. Does anyone have any suggestions or will he just one day eat and not spit it out?

Whatever you do don't give into his picky eating habits! Give him an option eat what he is given or don't eat. I promise he will not starve because he misses a meal or two. I know this sounds harsh but the more you give into him now the harder it will be to break the habit later. Try cutting up the food in to pices that he can handle on his own.

That said my sons (12 and 7) came close to living on chicken nuggets and french fries at one point in there lives. Eventually they got tired of them and were willing to be more adventerous with food.

I have always liked this article - http://www.drgreene.org/body.cfm?id=21&action=detail&...

It applies to more than just peas and tells how to desensitize kids to new foods. Good luck!

i had the same experience as a lot of people that have responded. It sounds to me that it's not so much that he is picky as far as taste goes, but texture is his problem. My son (just like all these others) had the same problem and we pretty much skipped over stage 3 foods altogether and went straight to "big people" food. He had problems with foods like mashed potatoes and anything else that was a similar texture but also chunky until he was about 20 months old. Somehow he all of a sudden figured it out. I think eventually they will learn how to process those things in their mouths, but for now I would just give him the things he knows and loves, and periodically just keep trying to introduce some of these others until he gets it. Good luck!

Our 15 months old son is the same way which was a shock to me since our first born ate anything on planet earth from the very begining.We keep offering him what we eat, sometimes he eats it sometimes he does not.For the foods that our son does eat we started buying organic so this way I know that he gets the best.He refuses to eat yogurt, so we get the yo baby with fruit I put it in the blender with juice and he driks it from the straw cup.We also get "green goodness" organic juice that has tons of green veggies in it with lots of vitamins and he likes it a lot too.
Another crazy thing, the other day I cut up some tomatos for myself as a snack and while kids were playing I sat on the floor and started eating it. Our oldest came over and wanted a bite, so after I gave it to him the youngest ran and wanted one too .After he tried,he came again and again(he hated it when I gave it to him in the high chair) So as long as he eats it I do not care if he's not in the chair.
Do not stress out about it though:)

He will eventually stop spitting it out. Feed him the things he'll eat and don't get frustrated. My son is 2 1/2 now, and I have trouble even getting him to eat more than a few bites at dinner! He eats good at daycare, but at home, or even his grandma's.... not so good.
If he's hungry... he'll eat. I know that's old and kind of cliche, but it is sooo true.
Plus, if he's gagging on things, it will make him not want to eat it again because he knows what may happen.

Dear C., The gagging sounds like he has over active gag glands. try new things slowly, and repeat often. Also try placing new foods on Your plate and sitting down in a comfortable spot with him and just act as if you are snacking on that as well. I babysit a little girl who is doing exactly the same thing.Gagging and throwing up,too. Even her Mom has told me she does this with her at home.
Realize his little stomach is only the size of HIS fist; so space out his portions, and you can always try fruits cool or cold. My baby I babysit is going through this...she seems to eat her apple sauce and chopped fruits cold or cool better these days. Maybe its her teeth or it is just getting hot.
Keep trying ..Don't give up!!! The Blessings of the Lord on You and Yours!!! LaDonna

I'm wondering if it's more of an oral defensiveness thing where he doesn't like the textures since you mention he's gagging on foods, rather than him not liking the foods. I'll never understand the rush to get babies eating solids. You never mentioned if you are breast or formula feeding. My only experience is with breastfeeding and I delayed solids with all 3 of mine. With the breastmilk, I knew they were getting all the nutrients they needed and never worried about the food. I just took their lead and always started them with foods that we were eating; beans, rice, pasta, other veggies, fruits, etc. Is the doctor pushing the solids? Is it something you feel he needs? I suggest trying not to stress too much over what he's not eating. You did mention that he gets mad when you try to feed him. Could he be trying to assert his independence and wanting to feed himself? Hugs to you...you're doing all the right things. He'll eat those foods when he's ready.

Dont know if this will help but my son was kinda the same way. He would eat for his daycare and not me. If I let him sit with his tray and not try to force him to eat it and let him do it on hiw own, it seems to help. He trys more food that way, he may not always like it, but he will try it.

Believe me, I am right there with you. There just isn't a whole lot you can do if they won't eat certain things. My son does the exact same thing as yours, but is SLOWLY getting better. We are having better success now that he is better able to feed himself. Just keep trying new things on him a little at a time (and over and over). I know how frustrating it is...

1 / 3