Flying with a 10 Month Old

I will be flying with my 10 month old son for the first time at the end of the month. Any ideas/suggestions to make it as easy as possible.

D.,

Hopefully you can time it so he sleeps for the trip. Try to keep him awake until after takeoff. My son has flown many times in his 1 1/2 years and the younger, the better! His ears never bothered him except for recently, so offer his bottle especially at landing. Landing is much harder on the ears than taking off. Bring his favorite toys, etc. to keep him busy, if needed.

Bring a few of his smaller favorite toys and something comforting, like a blanket. For the take off and landing, you can give him a bottle to keep the ears from popping. I bring two changes of clothing and extra diapers, too. As well as extra food for my daughter and myself. Feel free to walk the aisles.

I have found that everyone was very helpful and friendly on my flights. You'll find that most of them are parents or grandparents themselves and completely understand.

I flew alone a few times when my son was 10mos old. He did really well. I have a small stroller that folds easily (not umbrella) and that was so helpful in moving through the airport. You check it at the gate & they bring it back up to you as you get off the plane. Very convenient!

Make sure that all bottles/foods/medicines/diaper cream are in a quart size zip top bag. You will have to remove them from your diaper bag at security.

I would check with the airline if you are thinking that you can bring a car seat & use it if there is an empty seat. I had one flight attendant that wouldn't even let me put him in the empty seat during the flight! She was just nasty mean!! So check your facts before you attempt to lug a car seat along.

Small toys that are new & interesting will keep him quiet & occupied. My lil guy was lulled to sleep by the noise of the plane, so I got lucky!

Pee before you get on the plane! There is no way to do it yourself once on the plane. Are you travelling alone? I wouldn't leave my child with anyone I don't know.

Pack light, remember you can buy almost anything you need once you get there! Have fun!!

I flew with my daughter for the first time when she was 9 months old. She was a good traveler... But a few tips:
1. give a bottle or a pacifier on the take off and landing
2. I was able to get a bulk head seat. I recommend it, b/c I was able to put her on the floor to play right in front of me.
3. If you are bringing a car seat, they have car seat bags with wheels. I think they are like $20 at babies r us. It was very helpful... and I could fill it with other stuff.
4. I brought way too much stuff. She didn't need nearly the number of toys that I had brought her.
5. Buy most of the stuff down there, and feed him from the stroller if possible.

Have a great trip. The biggest suggestion I can make it to relax. Your baby will feed off your emotions. Let the trip be what it will be, and your son should be fine. Good luck!

make sure he has a binkie to suck and chew on to releive
ear pressure. Also take teething cookies to eat as swollowing helps pressure aslo. Toys- change frequently
to avoid bordum. Hope this helps.

We just flew with our 11 mo old. It was a breeze. Try to make sure that he is sucking on something during takeoff and landing (bottle/pacifier). We tried to tire him out while we were waiting for our flights. We had a layover each way, so he flew 4 times the very first time we took him on an airplane. The times of the flights really just worked out to be right around his nap times so we were lucky. We brought his favorite toys to keep him occupied. But really he is just a people person, so everyone else kept him occupied for us! Don't sweat if people are staring at you like "oh no here comes a baby" They'll get over it and you will never see them again.

Make sure you have everything you think that you will need for him for the flight in the carry on. Don't forget to bring canned formula if he uses a bottle!

We're becoming pro's at flying...My 16 month old was great at flying until this last time. He just wanted to walk up & down the isles...
What does help, however, is a couple of small (quiet) NEW toys/books. Bring plenty of his favorite snacks. Flying is absolutley one exception to spoiling your child (I think...anyway) Hold off on drinks & snacks until take off and landing, this WILL help with the ears. Be careful of a baby carrier (back/front pack) they made me remove my son from it during take off & landing. It is good to have during the flight (if he fits into one still) if you're flying by yourself. (especially if you need to go the bathroom!) Try to change his diaper right before you board (usually they allow children under the age of 2, and their parents to board first, by the way) Bring a change of clothes for him (and a shirt for you, just to be safe!) Don't over dress because this time of year, sometimes the cabin in the airplane can start off pretty warm before the air kicks on. Hope this helps. I ended up buying a portable dvd player for our flight back a couple of weeks ago. (Germany-USA & back) Maybe he's too young for it now but it did help my 16 month old. Until he fell asleep :) good luck!

Make sure that you have a toy or stuffed animal that he enjoys. Change him right before loading the plane because on the plane there is not very much room to manuever. Dress him in light clothing. You will have to remove his shoes at security. Do not pack too much because you are only allowed one carry on bag. Also make sure he is drinking a bottle or sucking on a paci for take off and landing if possible. It will help with his ears. You are allowed a stroller that you must collapse before getting on the plane and they will have it waiting for you when the plane lands. Also I would try to get all the things you and your son needs into one bag for under the plane because they consider his carseat a luggage and most airlines you are only allowed 2 pieces of luggage under the plane anymore they get to charging you.

I have traveled with a 6 mnth old (my oldest son who is now 3) and I have also traveled with a 16 month old (my youngest son who is now 19 months. That is the best advice that I can give you.

D.,

1 / 3