First Period

My 12 year old daughter got her first period 10 days ago and she is still bleeding. It's been so long since my first period that I can't remember but, is it typical for a first period to last this long?

I would take her in just to be on the safe side. My younger sister had hers for so long that she passed out....also I have a couple friends who had some kind of disorder and one of them ended up hemoraging and almost dying. Not to scare you, but just to be safe I would take her in. It would be a good oppertunity for her to ask any questions of her doctor that she may have too!

When a woman first gets her period, it is normal for it be erratic, and that includes lengthy bleeding. Unless the bleeding has been excessive for days--she bleeds through "heavy" pads in a matter of 1-2 hours--I would not be concerned.

I will throw in a plug for my favorite PMS remedy: Evening Primrose Oil. You can buy this supplement anywhere, like Target or Walgreen's. I take it all month long, and it has eliminated my menstrual cramps, and reduced my cravings and irritability. It does take a month or two before you see the full results.

The normal time for a first period to last is 5-7 days with 5 being the norm. Here is a few articles I found for you. I'd problably check with her doctor or a nurse at the clinic you go to. If you just call the nurse it's free of charge.

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/menstruation/a/menstruab...

http://www.operationalmedicine.org/ed2/Enhanced/Bleeding.htm

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=2006092207343...

My 12 year old started her period about 4 months ago. It was light the first 3 and this last one, was very heavy and she bled for longer.
Be open to her body doing what it needs to do and helping her along the journey of womanhood! Encourage lots of water and extra rest time. Also, let her know it is ok to take an ibuprofen if she feels icky! Or if you encourage supplements, I believe magnesium in powder is good. (I take it. I get it at Lakewinds, it is called Natural Calm. Careful it can cause loose stools if too much is taken!)
My daughter has not had the same length or consistancy yet. It may take her body time to adjust to what is happening.
Pray for her and don't worry! She is okay!

Hey C.! I started having periods at age 12 as well and I'll never forget my 1st one because it lasted 14 days. I thought it would never end. Everyone is different, I'm sure. If you are just curious maybe leave a quick message to the nurse at her doctor's office. That always helps me because then I feel like I don't have to make an appointment just for a question. Good Luck!

C.-
Do you have a bleeding disorder in your family? We found that I had Von Willebrand's when my period was long and heavy. Von Willebrand's is a fairly common bleeding disorder where the blood doesn't clot.

Regardless- I would call the pediatrician. 10 days is too long.

I got my first one at 11; and was like that for several years. Would be very irregular and at times they would last for weeks or come and go for weeks. They did I think at one point run bloodwork to check my iron levels; but basically from what I recall they said its just typical crazy erratic hormone stuff.

You need to schedule a doctor apt. for her. It may take a few days to get in and if she is still bleeding by then, then you know you didn't call too early. If she stops bleeding and there are no complications before the doctor's appointment, then you can always cancel. It may be normal for her and she turns out having regular (5-7 day) periods every 28 days or so, but it could be a sign of other issues. If her periods become worse or symptomatic, then reschedule the appointment. There are lots of things they can do these days to make life easier.

I had horrible periods (and still do). My first one was so bad that the doctor put me on a month's worth of birth control pills to help regulate and control my bleeding. I had horrible bleeding and cramps every month that I had to stay home from school on the first day of each of my periods. My parents only took me to the doctor the first time. After years of dealing with what I thought was a "regular" period and then struggled with infertility, I was finally diagnosed with PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome) a couple of years ago.

I know it is early for your daughter, but I highly recommend recording your daughter's periods and looking for signs of abnormalities. It could save her years of pain, embarrassment, and when the time is right, infertility issues.

I wish your daughter the best!

1 / 3