Experience with Capping Child's Teeth?

Our dentist says my almost three year old needs her upper front four teeth capped due to severe decay. Yikes! What can we expect from this process? Does it hurt? Do the capped teeth look natural? I would love to hear other's experiences. Thanks!

I don't have any experience with capping children's teeth but I would really recommend getting a second opinion from at least two other pediatric dentists. The more you know the easier it will be to decide what to do.

My daugthers had caps put on about the same age. She was given a little twilight to kee pher relaxed and get it done fast. They premedicated her for pain discomfort afterward. I did have the choice of having the white porcelin put over the front of the silver caps so that it looked like her teeth and not a rapper's grill....LOL.... they fall out just like normal and the new teeth are fine.
Both of my girls did very well. Just remeber to keep pain medication going and soft foods for abit. Good luck

My daughter's teeth were capped at age 2 1/2 due to severe early childhood caries. Your daughter's teeth will most likely be capped in porcelain finish rather than the silver metal finish. Appearance is truly the least of your worries in this case. It does not hurt them because they have anesthesia for the process. You will be able to live with it and so will she. There are many, many children with capped front (or otherwise) teeth and it is very common and rarely the fault of the parents. For us it was bad genetics. You need to make sure that the dentist you are working with is a Pediatric Dentist who has at least 30 years experience with this stuff. We didn't feel comfortable with ones with less experience than that. DO NOT LET THEM PERFORM GENERAL ANESTHESIA IN THE DOCTOR'S OFFICE. Never, ever let them administer general anesthesia in the dentist's office. That is hugely unprofessional and life-threatening for the child. THIS MUST BE DONE IN A SURGICAL AREA WITH TRAINED MEDICAL STAFF AND DOCTORS. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THEY HAVE A CRITICAL CARE PEDIATRIC ANESTHESIOLOGIST PRESENT IN THE OPERATING ROOM AND THAT THERE IS A PEDIATRIC INTENSIVE CARE UNIT in that hospital. My daughter ALMOST DIED when they gave her too much anesthesia (though they'll never admit it) and my husband and I had only a prayer to give us the strength to trust the helicopter would safely carry her in the thunderstorm to a hospital out of state where she was (finally) stabilized. After all that fun, for the next two months we got to stand in line all over again for this procedure at an entirely new hospital and by the time we finally got her in with the very competent doctors there, she had developed even further caries and it was a nightmare. Thankfully, she did have a successful experience with anesthesia and did not have Malignant Hyperthermia like the previous doctors at the first hospital had alleged (!). In my opinion, the anesthesia part is the part you need to most examine. Educate yourself. Go online and read up on pediatric anesthesia. Make an appointment for a consultation with a critical-care pediatric anesthesiologist to discuss the risks and ask them where they would like this procedure done for THEIR child, and make arrangements to go there.

My daughter was told she may need her molar capped too. I think from my understanding it's silver unless you pay extra for them to use white and match it to your teeth. I could be wrong but I think that is what it is. I'm praying my daughter doesn't need this as well.

My daughter who is now 4 1/2, had her back two capped a year ago. It wasnt the most pleasant experience Ive ever had to go through. We went to a pediatric dentist in Des Moines. They gave her laughing gas and before they gave her the shot they applied a topical to numb the area. She is not good around strangers (and this was only the second time she had seen the dentist) so besides the anxiety of the dentist doing "wierd stuff" to her mouth she was nervous from being around a new person. I did have to hold her down a couple of times (which I think was ultimatly worse on me than it was on her :0) I guess for the most part it wasnt too bad, I dont think it ever hurt her too bad - she was just scared.
As for looking natural, I am not sure - hers were in the back so she has silver caps on. I did get the rest of her back teeth "sealed" that way hopefully until her grownup teeth come in we wont have to deal with this again.
Like I said before I think its a lot worse on the parent than it is on the child :0) Hope this helps and good luck!!

I had a son that had severe tooth decay and he had his two front teeth capped when he was 18 months old. They look very natural.With the sedating medication, he was sleeping and they filed out the decay and then glued the caps on. Unfortunately for my son, the decay was so far up, that the glue they used went into his gums and eventually he got an infection. He ended up having to get those teeth pulled. He also broke one about a month after getting them. (He fell on the corner of a table) Our complications were from his teeth being filed too short for the caps. All in all it was a good experience, as the doctor did warn me that the teeth were a little too short for the caps to work right. My son didn't complain of any pain. He could carry on a full conversation at the time, and his speech was slightly impaired for a little while till he got used to having full teeth there. I would ask your dentist how much of the teeth have to be filed away to make sure they are not too short in the end. I would hate for you to pay for it to get done and then have the problems we had! Hope this helps.

I've had my 4 front teeth capped since I was in High School, and they look just fine, not fake looking at all. And it's been almost 20 years, I'm sure caps have gotten even better since then.

W., Hi I am a Dental Assistant and I will be honest. If your dentist is good it shouldn't hurt your son.
The Dentist will more then likely use Stainless steel crowns that will fit over your son's teeth. They will be cemented on. They will have to "numb" the area with a "Shot" so they can prepare the teeth. Please don't scare your child before hand and tell him about a shot. Just let the Dr. explain it. Also please this is to all parents that read this Brush your childs teeth twice a day. Even if they don't want it.
Did you know a abcess tooth hurts more than having a tooth filled? Please ask your Dr. or his Assistant to explain to you what needs to be done. They should never rush you from the office. Please if you have any questions please ask them to explain it so you can understand it.
I listen to what my boss says and see the confused looks from our Patients and I always explain it back to them in ways that they can understand. I was there once not knowing or understanding. Also maybe the Dr. has natural looking caps for severe decayed teeth, but all I know they will be expensive. Talk to the Dr. Good Luck

1 / 3