Epi Pen ????

Updated on February 26, 2007
C.C. asks from Fort Worth, TX

My daughter is allergic to peanuts and we just went and picked up her epi pen and I noticed that it exp in may 2007. That just doesn't seem to be a very long shelf life for something that you hopefully will not need to use often. Of course if this is the norm that is fine but I feel like maybe the pharmacy just gave me an old one that they had on the shelf and if that is the case I am going back up there. So if someone could check theirs and let me know I would sooo appreciate it!

• Add your own comment
  • Ask your own question
  • Join the Mamapedia community
  • as inappropriate
  • this with your friends

Smallavatar-fefd015f3e6a23a79637b7ec8e9ddaa6

answers from Dallas on

My 17 month old son is allergic to peanuts also. I have an EpiPen Jr and the expiration date was one year that I received in back in October. Unless used and need to replace, I only have to get a new one every year.

You got an old one and I would definitely take it back!!

R.W.

answers from Denver on

Hi C., two of my children have Epi Pens (one is a Jr)...yes, they do expire quickly..I think every 12 months. I know they are expensive and it is a pain. I was told that you do need to get a new one each year.

I DO think you were given an old one if you just bought it and it expires in 3 months!!! Should be about 12 months. I"d go back and ask for a new one.

J.M.

answers from Dallas on

I have an epi-pen prescription as well. My doctor told me to tell the pharmacy to make sure they had an epi-pen with an expiration date 1 year from when I purchased the prescription. Usually they will check the exp. dates on the ones they currently have - if they expire before 1 year, they usually offer to order a new epi-pen for me. I have had no problem getting this done for several years. When you purchase your next epi-pen, just request an exp. date of 1 year from the time of purchase. Hope this helps! -JM

B.W.

answers from Dallas on

You should have at least a shelf life of one year and could be longer....take it back to the pharmacy......my daughter requires glucagon and I have had to do the same thing with those....

A.F.

answers from Dallas on

I have a bee alergy and have an epi pen and mine are good for at least a year. I know I didn't get it in the last couple months but mine is good till September 2007. Hope this helps. A.

A.K.

answers from Dallas on

My son is allergic to milk and corn so we had to get one n Jan. of 07. Ours doesn't expire until Dec. of 07. I think a year is bout as long out as they go. I would talk to the pharmacy about it and see if they can do something about it. Hopefully you will not have to use it. I hate leaving my son with other people now cause I never know will he will get ahold of something he is not supposed to have. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

answers from Dallas on

You should be able to get a longer shelf life for your epi pen. I looked at mine, and both of my kids' epi pens expire in March of 2008 and I picked these up at the end of January.

answers from Dallas on

D.S.

answers from Dallas on

It probably is an older one on their shelf. The new batches should be expiring the end of 2007 or in 2008.

L.O.

answers from Dallas on

C.,
My daughter is also allergic to peanuts. When I bring her prescription to be filled I tell them I want EpiPens that do not expire for at least one year. Sometimes they have to order them and they take a few days but I always give myself some time to allow for that.
I still throw them away every year unused, but that is so much preferrable to having her go into shock.
My daughter is 9 years old and has had her allergy since she was 1 year old. If you have any questions or concerns please ask. We have dealt with day care, preschool, elementary school, parties, play dates.

Next question: My Daughter Had a Allergic Reaction to a Bee Sting.