Due Date Discrepancy

Hi Moms,

Have any of you ever had a due date discrepancy? I'm expecting my third baby and have always kept accurate records on my cycles and have always been accurate with the doctor in determining my due dates. Well, this is not the case now. My doctor has told me that my due date is late August. Well, my hubby and I planned on having a July baby, so my last cycle was in October. When I went for my first doctor appointment and they did a transvaginal ultrasound, it was determined that I was 7 weeks pregnant due to the size of the baby. Well, I thought for sure I was 10 weeks based on my calculations and plus I already have had two children and have always been on cue with the due date and baby size. Now, my baby is measuring 3 weeks ahead of where he should be according to the doctor--leading me to believe MY calculations are correct. However, I've been told that the first and second ultrasounds are more accurate than my own calculations--meaning I'm three weeks behind. The reason this is a problem for me is because my hubby is out of town and may end up missing the baby's birth unless we have a more accurate due date. I went to the doctor this week and was told my due date may be a span of one whole month! I don't know how to plan it so that I'm not delivering alone. Have any of you moms ever had this happen to you? Are ultrasounds more accurate than your own calculations?

Please advise, thank you.

Due dates are not an exact science as thousands of women would agree. My daughter was born 3.5 weeks ahead of her due date and we had an early ultrasound that confirmed the due date.

Ultrasounds are not 100% accurate with due dates. All babes are different and too many times docs will follow the 'generalities' and make them sound like absolutes.

My first ultrasound put me behind where I KNEW I was. Come to find out, I delivered one day early of MY calculations. My second ultrasound actually put me back where my calculations had me.

Now, even with that, you have to realize that the 'due date' .... really is an arbitrary number. At some point in history a doctor decided that human gestation was 40 weeks. When in fact, human gestation is anywhere from 38-42 weeks. (so, yes... your due date can span a month and a good knowledgeable doctor will tell you so).

I understand your position. TRULY understand. When I was pregnant with my daughter we were living in Germany at the time. I DID NOT speak German and had already experienced difficulties finding doctors who spoke English very well. I did not want communication issues with my first labor and delivery. So, we opted for me to come home and spend my third trimester State side. Obviously, we had some planning to do so my husband could be home for the birth. Between trying to get his company to cooperate, and working with when baby was going to decide to be born ... it was difficult. For awhile, I really thought he was going to miss it. Then, my sister reminded me .... even if he did miss it... he would still be there for the really important thing... the rest of her life. That put things back into perspective for me and I was able to move forward and not stress about whether or not my husband would be there.

I would encourage you to have a back up labor coach. Obviously if your hubby can be there, that is optimal. BUT, I would encourage you not to rush nature. There is a reason why baby should determine when it is time to be born. Baby will come when baby is ready. There are very few times when something goes wrong and baby stays in too long. Most times doctors (or parents) will decide when baby should be born. More and more research is showing that when baby is fully developed, and all their bits and pieces are ready to enter the world then baby sends out a hormone that starts labor. Rushing this isn't the best option for baby.

I will tell you, that for us... everything worked out. Hubby arrived and 5 days later baby made her entrance.

I would tend to believe your calculations are more accurate. You know your body and your cycles. Just because doctors have fancy machines, doesn't mean they know your body better then you do. But in the end, try not to stress about it. It isn't good for you or baby.

They pushed my due date with my daughter back 19 days. I was charting and knew when I ovulated. In some sense we were both right on the due date. She was so big that she never dropped and I had to have a scheduled c-section. Your due date is an estimate and can vary by quite a bit. I hope the baby stays put until Daddy can be home.

I have three children, but in the case of the second pregnancy, my dates didn't coincide with the ultrasound calculations. I followed the doctors orders. I don't go into labor for some reason, so I had three C sections. He scheduled the surgery based on the ultrasounds. My son was 9 lbs, 8 oz and 3 weeks premature. He turned blue when off oxygen, had under developed lungs, etc. Not a fun time! With my third son which was 10 lbs, he scheeduled me 2 weeks earlier than my dates. I refused to go and with our previous experience he agreed. You know. Stick with your insticts. I happen to have large babies, but still all the tests run on averages. I'm not normal or average I guess and my son paid the price for those first few days.

yes M.
that was the case with all four of my girls you know when you got preg and you know your body i would bet the doc is wrong and you are right sometime they start out slow growing .because now you are right on track for size and weight that matches up with cycle ? wright

i would defintly talk to the doctor. I would relay more on the first ultrasound. I know when i was pregnant with my daughter, i knew when i conceived her. they thought i was about 10 weeks along, and sent me for an ultrasound, since i had just had a miscarriaged 3 months prior. I told them i was only about 6 weeks. And sure enough the ultrasound showed i was 6 weeks and 4 days. So just big enough to have a heartbeat. Throughout the entire rest of my pregnancy, my uterus was measuring 5 weeks further ahead than i was. I had my daughter one week before my due date, and that is only because i had to be induced.

Though you know your body, but just because you are measuring at one point, doesn't mean that the measurement is accurate at all. The early ultrasounds are really where they determine the approximate date, your baby will come. But it is true it can be within 2 weeks on either side of that date. But the baby will come when they are ready.

you said your husband is working, is there any way that his work can keep him in the area come the end of july. If he explains the situation, they may be willing to work with him, and keep him around here more, so he can still work, but can be there quickly for you as well.

My boss's daughter was born at 34 weeks according to doctor's calculations but was clearly the healthy full term infant my boss was expecting.

You sound just like what happened to me. The doctor have me a late November due date and I thought she was crazy given MY calculations. And I was told the same thing. First ultrasounds are the most accurate. Needless to say, my second was born late OCTOBER, a full month ahead of schedule to them, right on target for my calculations. You know your own body, you know the changes and where you should be. Trust your instincts. You will probably be right.

1 / 3