Doing IVF - Need Help to Increase Chances of Implantation

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can increase my chances of implantation on Day 5? I am resting after the egg retrieval, taking pre-natal vitamins, and keeping my fingers crossed. Anything else you'd recommend?

Also, how many days were you sore after egg retrieval? It's going on 3 days and I'm still really sore...

Thanks,
Mel

I wanted to thank all of you for your suggestions, advice and prayers. Unfortunately, on the way to the doctor's office this morning, we got a call to let us know that all of the embryos were abnormal and that my transfer was cancelled. We are completely devistated... Thank you again for always being here Mamasource Mamas, you always help when needed. xoxo, M.

Just wanted to echo the suggestion for acupuncture. I can't quite remember the research, but it was remarkable -- something like a 40% increase in success rates. The research suggested that limited acupuncture could be effective, meaning care right before and, I believe, right after. Google acupuncture IVF research and you'll get some good citations.

As I recall, this is really the only research-based intervention worthwhile.

It is amazing how quickly memories of IVF fade! I have a 6 year old and a 9 month old, both through IVF. I don't remember how long I was sore after!

My very best wishes to you -- I know what you are going through is very, very challenging! I'll cross my fingers for you too :)

Are you doing acupuncture? Acupuncture along with IVF incraeses your chances up to 63% along with a diet that is free from trans fats, artificial sweeteners, etc. A book called the Infertility Cure uses both Acupuncture and Diet to help improve IVF chances as well.

Are you take DHA? Or is there DHA in your prenatal? Have you had your vitamin d3 levels checked to make sure you have adequate vitamin d3 levels? The want expecting moms to be taking 5000-6000iu per day, yet many are not being tested for deficiencies. I did an article in my family health column about vitamin d: http://www.examiner.com/x-7158-Chicago-Family-Health-Exam... Just go under the vitamin d in the search column to your right. I site a few research articles including the one for pregnancy.

Take yoga for relaxation, do aromatherapy to relieve stress...a body cannot conceive in a stressed environment...it like planting a flower in concrete.

Good Luck to you!

J. W. MPH
Maternal and Child Health Educator
Chicago Examiner Family Health Expert

Accupuncture - rest and positive thinking all the way through (easier said than done right?).

I was sore from my retrieval even after implantation!

Good luck-I know how heartbreaking the process can be.

Hi M.. I have two kids that I conceived through IVF. It has been a while (my youngest is seven yrs). When I went through the IVF with my son (now ten), they advised three days of complete bed rest after the transfer. With my daughter (the seven year old), they said they found this really didn't make a difference, so no longer recommended it. I put myself on bed rest any way, and I had success again. So... I would suggest putting yourself on bed rest if this is possible for you. I think it can't hurt. I have had other IVF girlfriends who have felt the same way. Good luck to you!!

Definitely acupuncture!!

M.,

Seems like a long time to still be sore, but everyone is different. My firt day was bad. Came out of procedure, felt fine, stepped down off of the bed and a shooting pain took over my body. It was so bad I was there for 2 extra hours and they had to give me pain pills in the end to ease the pain. Then the next day I was fine. Check with the office and ask if this is common. You are doing all the right things, but a little prayer can't hurt. :) Good luck it's all worth it in the end.

M.,

I highly recommend acupuncture immediately before and after the transfer. My specialist was not a big believer in alternative medicine however he did have data that supported acupuncture at this stage of IVF.

I had my transfer on Day 6 (delayed due to slow growth from PGD) and had acupuncture. Our odds were less than 9% and somehow it worked and we had a healthy baby girl We had a previous cycle canceled a year earlier so nothing was in our favor. Our specialist didn't really recommend even doing that cycle and we ended up getting pregnant.

I had eggs harvested twice and the first time wans't too painful but the second time was much more painful. It should subside by the time you get the transfer unless you have hyperstimulation.

A.

A little about me: Mom to a 10 mo old girl and 4 yr old boy

I have a 1 year old little boy conceived through IVF, so I can relate...

Are you having any additional symptoms aside from soreness? If you are in a lot of pain or having any difficulty breasthing, make sure you let your dr. know as they may need to check for OHSS (hyperstimulation).

As for the transfer, several studies have actually shown that bedrest has a lower implantation rate. Definitely take it easy after the transfer, but try to go about life as normal. Do fun things to keep your mind off the process and your spirits up! Remember that people who get pregnant the good ol' fashioned way don't go on bedrest...

I also did acupuncture to increase bloodflow (however, I did not do it immediately before and after the transfer as the current studies suggest).

Good luck! IVF can be a difficult road.

1 / 3