Does Allergy Pills Really Help Sinus Pain?

Just wondering if I take claritin or another allergy pill if it will help with all my sinus issues or at least help with the pain and pressure? Thanks

I used to get chronic sinus infections, and no type of allergy pill ever helped. My doctor finally prescribed the generic form of Nasonex and that did the trick. It's a nasal spray, which is really annoying at first, but I got used to it after a couple weeks. Also it doesn't make me drowsy like most allergy pills.

Our doctors say mucinex ( maybe spelled wrong ) helps and I have used it but take Zyrtec and that helps once you get it cleared up and helps to not get it again. Zyrtec is also a good drug, over other allergy medications, if you have itching or hives, etc. I also use a prescription nose spray like Nasonex. I would advise having a sinus x-ray or check from the doctor to be sure it's just sinus and not infection that does need cleared up first. Then use the other medications to keep it from coming back.

Hello. Have you been to the doctor yet? If not, please go. I tried to treat my minor sinus infection myself (it started around Halloween) and it would never fully go away. I had the horrible headaches, green snot, etc... that comes with the classic sinus infection. To make a long story short, i have had 6 rounds of antibiotics, a shot in the booty, and a CT scan all because i let my sinus infection go too long. It turns out it turned into staph infection in my face and has caused so much pain!!! I just found out (on 2-12-10) that i will most likely have to have the surgery that drills out my sinus's! So learn from me... i tried to save money in the beginning by not going to the dr. but it has cost me so much more in the end! I hope yours clears up!

It depends on the source of your sinus pain.

Allergy medications work differently - but all aim to prevent your body from responding to the allergan. For me, when I get hayfever and have severe congestion, I have to have the pseudoephedrine as well as a decongestant.

If you're having pain, look for a product that combines allergy medication + ibuprofen or acetominophen to reduce the swelling and pressure.

Your best bet is to ask your doctor to determine the cause and the pharmacist for a recommended product. As an FYI - all Tylenol and Advil PM are is Benadryl + the respective pain reliever. The Benadryl helps you sleep because of its sedative qualities and the pain relievers help to reduce inflammation/pain.

If you have a sinus infection, you're going to need antibiotics.

You can also try a Neti Pot to see if that helps clean some of the gunk out. I personally haven't tried one, but I hear great things about them.

I have good luck with Zrytec D and no luck with claritin.

I have bad sinus issues and Claritin did seem to work for me. I have both of my girl's on Singulair and it seems to be helping with their allergies as well. Try Claritin....if you are on a budget try a cheaper decongestant and some tylenol. That's what I have to do sometimes when money is tight. I stay on them every four hours until the symptoms are gone. If none of this works then see your doctor. There are much stronger ones you can take as well. But he will need to prescribe them. Good Luck!

I think you need a little more information from a dr., but in general things that have worked for me:
Claritin D - daily, mild sinus congestion from allergies
Mucinex D - heavy-duty, sinus infection congestion
nasal rinse - This is a good option when you feel like you are about to get an infection. Combined with gargling with salt water, it helps eliminate bacteria, and is a helpful preventative measure.

I use the Equate generic for Zyrtec...it works for me, but I have to take it daily as a maintenance drug. I also take Singular daily.

Between these two drugs, I am usually symptom-free. For the odd occasions (for example- this weekend I'm dogsitting my sister's dog & he sheds more than my two hypoallergenic dogs), I will have to use my inhaler. Oh, & then once/twice a year, I have to use a nasal spray....whatever the dr has free samples of.

I try to keep the house as allergy-free as possible, but with running a wood-burning stove for heat.....it's almost impossible!

I'm also a fan of the Neti Pot, you pour it in one side of the nose and it drains out the other taking all the congestion with it. If you're really stuffed up it might be hard to pour through at first, but will eventually make it through. Just read the instructions to do it right and it works great. In fact I have a headache today and might just go try to see if that's my problem first.

1 / 3