Do You Babysit, Own or Work at Daycare

Do you babysit, own or work at a daycare (in home or outside) What are your pros and cons, positives and negatives doing this full time or part time.

I run my own in-home care. I do not BABYSIT. A babysitter is someone that works sporadically for someone else. They are employed to keep children fed, safe, and entertained while parents are gone.

I am a caregiver. My entire life is wrapped up in my daycare. My home and family reflects my career choice. Nothing we do for the home, to the home, or in the home happens unless it works with the daycare.

The positives- I love what I do, I live what I do (meaning it's my life, not just a job) I am in charge of my time, I get great tax breaks for using my home and being open 7 days per week 24 hours per day, my children benefit from me working at home. 3 of my 4 children are grown and now one of them has her child with me in my daycare. I look forward to another 20+ years in the business helping to raise my grand babies as they come a long.

The negatives- While I am in charge of how I spend my days, it's hard to get the laundry done or take a shower without getting help because I don't leave the children alone for anything. My entire family helps with the daycare which is both a blessing and sometimes a cursing because there isn't enough money in the daycare business to pay my family for their contributions. These days the biggest negative is the fact that just about anyone and everyone is jumping into the daycare "business". Most have zero experience and no idea of what they are getting themselves into. They under cut our prices and make people think that those of us that are old timers in the business are greedy. Then they do bad things making all daycare providers look bad. It's also hard to stand up to people, demand advance payment and get reimbursed for bad checks.

This is just a small fraction of things I could say. But I'm tired and that's one of the negatives. It's not an easy job.

I did daycare out of our home for 7 years after our 4th child was born.
Pros- not having to leave to go to work -get paid to stay home with your kids (and other's) Cons- parents who don't pay faithfully. -always having to have a very clean house because it's getting used as a business. -parents who take advantage of you. -trying to stay fair between your own kids and other people's. - your kids possibly feeling a little resentful they have to share their mommy. -always having to make arrangements when you do have to go somewhere like the dr's office etc. -Gosh there's so many on either side. I'm sure I will think of a lot more once I submit this comment.

I work at a daycare and I love it if thats what your asking. I have also done lots of babysitting, but I love the daycare bc its so nice to just get out of the house sometimes :) biggest con ever, missing my kids, but they go where I work so... I know they are close!

Be very careful if you are thinking of doing a home daycare from your home. Its a HUGE liability issue and if something happened to a child in your care, you could financially (and emotionally) lose everything. Most insurance companies will not insure a home that has a daycare. good luck.

for me, the main negative is all the new germs coming into my house. i got puked on yesterday, last night found out that she has strep. something for me to look forward to, haha!

I agree with what everyone else has been saying! I am licensed as a home childcare provider through the state of Fl. I do not babysit. I am just like any other daycare, only I am in my own home. It has its rewards, but it is not just something to go into lightly. My ENTIRE life revolves around the daycare. Plus most jobs you get to leave and come back the next day..... With a homedaycare you dont. I am stuck in my house all day long......without contact to other adults which can be VERY lonely and frustrating..
Not to mention the legal matters as well....taxes each year, what to claim, writting tax staments for your parents, record keeping, and depending on what your county rules are, can you even do a home daycare. Some places you have to be licensed which means people can randomly come into your home to inspect, or do you have to be registered, which is not nearly as strict. There is ALOT to think about......... Here is my website if you want to check it out www.kristiecataffofcch.com

Good Luck!! It really is worth it....If you are strong enough. Being with children and having a role in their life is wonderful!

I used to babysit all the time and was licensed to do it when I lived in Michigan. Personally I found it much easier to have them bring the children to my home. That way I could get my things done and still make a little money. Also, I had a special toy room where all the toys were kept and it didn't matter how much they played or how many toys they got out. I used to babysit full time at someone elses house and found it to be really hard to get anything done for myself. Also if you are watching children at their homes the parents expect a lot more out of you and don't pay any more then if they were bringing them to your home. My neighbor used to own a daycare and sold it because it was such a hassle dealing with all the parents and she said it is almost impossible for any daycare to take care of a child properly. Also I know someone who works for a day care in the infant room and she said it's totally crazy. She has seven babies to take care of and said you can not take care of all of them properly. If I were you I would do babysitting in my home if I were going to do it. You will enjoy it more and have better control over your life.

I have had a home daycare for almost 16 years now. It has been great being home with my kids who are now 16,13,and 8. Many of the daycare kids have been like my own kids as well. Someone else said that many people are now jumping on the home daycare bandwagon as an easy way to make money. It is NOT an easy job or an easy way to make money if you do your job/career properly, raising the daycare kids like your own. We decided this year to renovate our home and sell it, one of the main reasons for this decision, was the daycare. I want my daycare kids to have a separate playroom, apart from our living room for their own space and space for us as a family. I do have 2 children that can be here overnights/weekends, they do everything we do as a family from family activities/gatherings, camping and church. A home daycare is much more than a job, be sure to think carefully before starting one.

What would you do if you were sick? What about if your children were sick? What if any of your daycare kids are sick? What will you feed them? Where will they play? what about sharing of your children's toys? Where will they sleep? What about vacations for you and holidays?

1 / 3