Do I Really Need to Wait 6 Weeks Postpartum to Take a Bath???

Warning TMI -

I think the subject line says it all. I have a jacuzzi bath tub and wanted to take a bubble bath. Does anyone know why the drs office says to wait until after the 6 week visit? I'm not "bleeding" anymore, but still am not 100% either - just some minor discharge. If I'm healthy with no complications what's the risk at this point (I'm one month pp).

Thanks Moms!

The "bath" is not the problem it is the Jacuzzi part that is the problem. You don't want water jetting up there because it could cause problems. You are not fully healed yet. Just the same as when you were pregnant, no whirlpool baths and no hot tubs.

Interesting that no one else so far has heard of this, but you are not supposed to take baths because of increased chance of infection. You can have a sitz bath which is just a couple inches of water. I'd just wait a couple more weeks since you are already almost there. An infection would not be fun!

Hi S G I've always been told too wait 6 weeks. I would advice that you do what your doctor suggest. The jacuzzi bath tub in not going anywhere!!! So it's best to safe than sorry. Just because you may feel great on the outside doesn't mean you're completely heal in the inside. There's still the risk of infection.

Yes. Your uterus is an open wound until about 6 weeks post partum. If you do this, you are taking the risk of getting an infection.

I took a bath the day I came home with each kid (vaginal birth). I felt it helped control the bleeding and other discomforts

I have never heard of that and my doctor didn't say that to me after I had my daughter. Did the doctor give a reason? I would call and ask.

With a jacuzzi there's a possibility that the jets may have some crud growing in them. You can probably solve this problem by filling up a bath and pouring a bit of bleach in it and then running the jets for 10 minutes or so. Drain, refill the bath and run the jets again to rinse out the bleach. Then take as many baths as you wish - I took very low-water baths starting about 1 week postpartum to help rinse off the blood etc.

I have had two kids and both times baths were RECOMMENDED for healing. Use Epsom salts instead of bubble bath though- you want to make sure the chemicals don't irritate your tender tissues down there.

They are crazy- take a bath. You'll feel MUCH better. Both times they said as HOT as possible.

ETA- you may want to take it without the jets on the off chance there was something kooky they were concerned with like blood pressure or something... same for really super high heat if you had blood pressure probs.

1 / 3