How Long After a C-section??

I was wondering how long you have to wait to take a bath after a C-section? I am on my 5th week. They told me at the hospital no baths but didnt say how long. I want to sit in the bath so bad. Some people have told me its ok but I have had some seperation of the skin on my incision and not sure if thats normal. I called the doc's office and they told me to put a bandaid on it! I guess if that wasnt happening I wouldnt be so leary. Any suggestions?

PS. Just to let everyone know I do take showers daily. Haha Dont want anyone to think I havent showered in 5 weeks! I just want to soak in the bath soooo bad!

I have had two csections, and what i was always told is if the incision is completely closed, you can take a bath.

My doctor only made me wait until she removed the staples. With my third I had a similiar issue with my incision, and my doctor put some sort of powder on it that carterized my open area. Good Luck!

For your safety, WAIT!! If your cut is still opened, DO NOT get in the tub. It may cause some infection. You've waited this long, what one more week? Let the Doc tell you that it's okay. Then, get some soothing music, bubble bath, and enjoy your bath....AFTER you have healed!!

Hi there! I have had two c-sections, and I believe that you normally get the ok at your 6-week post-partum appt. I had some complications (I hemorrhaged out my incision) with my first one and wasn't allowed to bathe at all for 8 weeks!!! I have a clotting disorder and was on blood thinners, so don't let that freak you out! ;-)

Second time, no major issues, but I did have what you're describing where the skin healed a little off center and bled and oozed a little, but as long as you keep it clean, it shouldn't be a big deal. Definitely check with your doctor, though. I bet at your appt next week, you'll get the go-ahead. Good luck!

I waited 6 weeks, and was fine. I was dying to sit in the bath too. Good Luck

I agree, wait til after your 6 week check up and when your incision is competely healed.

They'll probably tell you at your 6 week checkup that baths are fine, but I would wait to get the OK from your doctor.

Hi Molly... I had the same question! I had a C-Section in May and my incision was slow to heal too. My doctor had said to wait until that 6th week until I could take a bath and mainly because he didn't want me laying in dirty water. It was around the 5th week post partum that I couldn't wait any longer. I got in the warm bath but just made sure the water line didn't come up and over my incision...... until week 6.
Good luck! You're almost there!

You can take SHOWERS only until your sutures and staples on the outside are removed. Soaking in a bath can loosen your sutures.

1 / 3