Did You Go into Labor on Your Own?

Just curious. I have never went into labor on my own. I was induced with my first and had a c-section with my 2nd. I am working on my third and just wondering how many of you went into labor on your own and how many weeks were you? Did your water break on its own? I "heard" its fairly uncommon for your water to break on its own. I wonder if I will ever go into labor on my own! Wow I said "own" a lot. lol Sorry about that!

Yes, spontaneous labor and spontaneous ROM while pushing both times. With my first- 42w5d, with my second- 40w5d.

I suspect some caregivers don't wait around long enough with enough women to see very much of that happen on its own.

I went into labor all 3 times myself the first 2 water broke the last the OB was there in hospital broke my bag & she was here within minuetes.I never had to be induced

Yes, I went in to labor on my own- water breaking everything- with my second child. He came 13 days early. It was a lot easier than being induced with my first.

3 kids, all natural labors. Baby 2 and 3 born at home. I am also a homebirth midwife. Everyone will go into labor on their own if left alone. There are no women walking around who have been pregnant for years because labor never started. The medical community in this country though is just so anxious to induce every women who goes a few days over the so called "due date." This is just ridiculous. The main reason for it is because it ensures more money for the hospital. Hospitals are big business and inductions and c-sections bring them a lot more revenue than a run of the mill natural vaginal birth. Women need to demand their births back because they are currently owned by the doctors and the hospitals and this is wrong!

Yes. My water broke at home and I had her 6 hours later. That was my first. I just found out I'm pregnant again and I pray the first goes like the second. If your doctor is pressuring you to be induced or have a c section just because it's convenient find another doctor. Our bodies were meant to go into labor on their own regardless of the due date. It's natural and safe. God made women that way and his timing is right.

Nobody stays pregnant forever. :-)

My longest pregnancy was exactly 42 weeks, and my shortest was 39 weeks and 5 days. Of my 5, only one started with my water breaking (at 40 weeks and 1 day).

Edited to add - Like another poster said, because induction is so popular, people get the impression that it's a "need" in the majority of cases. The same with rupturing membranes. With 2 of my babies, my bag stayed intact until they were crowning.

Yes I did although I was 41 weeks and had "relations" with my husband because my doctor was talking about inducing. The next morning I started having contractions at about 6:30 am. I'm not sure if the day before had anything to do with that, but I didn't have to be induced.The doctor had to break my water when I was dilated to a 9 and it hadn't happened yet. My sister's water did break on its own so you never know. just relax and congrat's!

Three times.

My water has only broken naturally the first time. I was 39w2d.

The doctor broke it with permission at like 8cm with my second pregnancy. I was 39w5d.

I actually asked for my water to be broken this last time. I felt like baby was "floating" too high in my pelvis and not coming down correctly so I requested the help. As soon as the water left and her head hit the canal, my little girl practically fell out! I was 40w5d based on LMP (which I took exception to the whole pregnancy and noone listened to me... based on conception she was 39w5d but that is a whole different story and not relavent to your question.)

Natural labor does happen. Don't stress and relax!
~C.

It's interesting to me to hear people say "my babies don't wanna come out"...or something similar...when they've only waited a few days past the due date. It's common knowledge that the estimated due date can be off by as much as two weeks, and yet so many people feel that baby should know that it's THE DAY and decide to come out RIGHT THEN. It's an arbitrary day - someone's best guess - doesn't your body know better? No one stays pregnant forever! lol

We're talking about a natural - THE most natural process - there is. Babies have been born since the beginning of time without mothers being administered Pitocin. Your body knows what to do and when. It is so concerning to me that the medical community feels the need to artificially accelerate this process. It is harmful to babies and moms. Giving Pit is like trying to pry open a vault before it's ready to be opened, hence the great potential for longer, more difficult labors. This is YOUR body and YOUR baby. Why does everything need to be on someone else's time table?

I think it is uncommon for your water to break on its own, but that doesn't mean that you won't go into labor on your own. The bag of waters is meant to cushion the baby's head and bones as he/she comes through the birth canal, so it may not necessarily break at the beginning of labor.

I went into labor on my own, labored at home for six hours (only light cramping, etc) by walking and stretching, as well as eating a bit for energy. That began at 7:00pm and I had my son naturally, without drugs, by 9:40am.

I really wish more women felt comfortable trusting themselves and their body's miraculous ability to birth. It's something that has been lost in our culture and turned over to doctors who may or may not have a respect and caring for the natural process. Please watch The Business of Being Born to find out why you should - and can! - take back this experience.

Sorry for the rant, I just feel so passionately about this. I think babies and moms deserve a lot better than they're getting!

Anyway - best of luck to you!!

My water broke on its own. My baby was born full-term but 11 days before their estimated due date. I was sitting on the couch at 10:00 at night and all of a sudden felt just a trickle of fluid. I walked to the bathroom and continued to feel this trickle and checked and it was clear liquid. I just had an on-and-off trickle like that, no sudden gush ever. About an hour later, contractions started and within a short time were coming 4 minutes apart! Baby was born at 8:00 the next morning.

1 / 3