Decoration Ideas for a 1 Year Old Boy Bedroom!

I need some neat decoration ideas for my sons bedroom, any ideas? I dont want any specific themes like cars or diego etc.

Jungle, Safari, Sports, bugs,Crayons, or maybe just a certain animal he likes, frogs, giraffe, elephant,ect.
Hope these help.

A. a mother of 4 boys ages 7,4,3,1

As an interior designer, I recommend to my clients that they plan on a room that will grow with their child (at least for several more years). Keep the walls, bedding & windows fairly basic but use art and accessories to bring in elements that your child is into now and that are easily changeable (and not that expensive to change). Once he gets into a big boy bed I would suggest keeping the bedding basic such as plaid or stripes and using pillows to change the look. For a look that's not over the top you can just hint at a theme and of course not everything in the room has to "fit" with the theme. For instance, if you used dogs you could use some fun dog paintings throughout the room or even large black/white or colored photos of people/dogs you know. Pick a few colors that are "doggish" maybe brown, tan, red, denim and use them subtly throughout the room. Maybe some of your sons favorite stuffed dogs can be used as well on a bed or on display somewhere. Sorry, this is probably way more info than you wanted. Once I get started on this stuff I can't stop myself! :)

I know what you mean about the whole cartoon character thing. I'm startin' to get tired of them. It seems like more and more of these characters are loosing more and more of their morals lol! (I'm being serious though) Anyway, how about something antiquey. Like say old fashioned cars or fire trucks. Or how 'bout going with just simple colors. And most definately wooden and natural toys are the best. Like me, I'm all about white (for babies) right now. People are always telling me I'm brave for using lots of white for my baby. I don't know, it just has that old fashioned look and feel to it.

Hope these help.

A. a mother of 4 boys ages 7,4,3,1

I was at Ikea recently and they had great decorum for kids rooms!!! I'm amazed too how kid-friendly that store is! One thing very cool they had is a big leaf that is about the size of an office desk...it had a rod that you hang to the side of the wall and the leaf can either hang near the ceiling or hover over a "big kid" bed...very fun to look up at. We got one after our son kept watching them...they also have these big lady bugs that you can attach to them however you'd like. Of course the one downside to Ikea for some is that you put everything together...for me that's what I enjoyed. I visit their website and look at their sample rooms online...great ideas and no themes.

I love cowboys/western. There are some adorable fabrics with "little kid" buckaroos, plus there are tons of metal stars and other decor easily available. Okay, in TX they are easily available, you may have to order.
Little cowboy hats: hang several on the wall in a pattern.
Lamps with cutout shade. Western themed throw (stars, cowboys). Old Hollywood promo posters (large and small) framed: these have cowboys and their horses, famouse actors dressed western, etc.

Sports themes grow with your child and they even have little lockers for storage of toys.

I like rodeo/cowboy or dinosaurs too.

I don't care for Disney themes or Cartoon Characters either because they outgrow it way too fast.

We did my son's room in "night-sky." I think it's very soothing, and there are several things you can use to decorate, such as clouds, stars, moons, etc.. You can use all sorts of colors (my son's room is done in light and dark blues, with yellow, white, and green highlights), and I am always finding different things to add.

My husband and I have also decided that, if we have another son, his room will be done in the theme "under the sea," (not like Little Mermaid, just like ocean-themed). Then you can do whatever different kinds of fish, or even frogs and turtles, etc. If you can't tell, I like soothing, dusty colors. Good luck! I'd love to hear what you decide to do.

My sister in law specializes in hand painted FUN murals for children's rooms! She could come by for a consultation and discuss it all with you about what you want, and what you want to accomplish. I think her consultation is very inexpensive- and goes toward the project total- should you decide to go with her wall work.

My SIL is great about showing you a quick sketch by hand on paper to see if you and she are on the same page. Her art skills are very impressive.

She just did her twin boys room walls with sweet animals- that she has adorable pictures of if you want I can try to email you that example.

Anyway- I hope this has given you another idea of what to do to really customize your sweetie's room.

Thanks,

A.

1 / 3