Death of a Neighbor

I live way out in the country on the farm that my husband grew up on. We just found out that our closest neighbor has passed away. We will be attending the funeral on Monday. My question is what else should I do? Honestly, I was never taught proper funeral/death etiquette and have actually only been to 3 funerals in my whole life. The neighbors have a huge family and being a small community, they also have a ton of support from friends as well. So do I take food over? If so, what? Do I send a card now, or do I deliver it personally to his wife sometime after the funeral? Is there anything else that I should know or do? And what exactly is expected as far as what to wear to a funeral? How dressy/casual should our attire be?

My husband spent a lot of time at their house when he was growing up, but as life sometimes goes, hasn't really stayed close to them since he's been an adult. Until this man died, my husband hadn't ever really told me just how much of role these people had played in his childhood. Had I known, I would have tried to be a "better neighbor". And now he says I shouldn't do too much because they'll feel like it took the man's death for us to be "involved" and neighborly with them. UGH! I love my husband, but because of our childhoods, both of us having really "iffy" upbringings, we're both somewhat ignorant when it comes to knowing how to handle some "adult" situations. The fact is, no one ever taught us. Thank you to all you Mamas out there willing to give me a lesson on being a grown-up...

Dress nicely for the funeral and send a card. The widow will likely have a lot of help for the first few weeks or so. I would think long term. Maybe after the hustle and bustle of the funeral has died down, you could invite her over for lunch or tea or an afternoon visit. Or go to her house. Be willing to listen to her share stories about her late husband. I think the loneliest time after a death is 3-9 months. The initial impact is gone and everyone remembers the anniversary, but the months in-between get lost.

After my step mom died (I was with dad for the first week or so afterwards), I made sure I called twice a week for the next several years. There were days, weeks even, that it wasn't much more than, "Hi, Dad! How's it going? Love you! Bye!" but he swears that, at times, that's all that kept him connected. Perhaps you could be that person for your neighbor.

But, ultimately, follow your heart. Random acts of kindness really work.

Just wondered if you could help by mowing the law or watering the garden or something like that. If they have a grown son or daughter you might ask them, usually there will be a family "spokes person" someone more vocal and organized that you can tell that you would like to make a gesture and sort of go through them to see if its' a good idea.

I would mail a card. but that's me.

Send a card with a brief handwritten note with a story your husband remembers from his childhood. The family will love to hear how this man impacted others positively.

I'd advise you to take over paper plates, plastic silverware, a package of toilet paper, napkins, kleenex, ground coffee. Whatever you can afford. Sooo many people will bring food. They will really need these items to host their family, and may not have the time/energy to run to the store. Maybe a book or two of postage stamps. If you do want to take food, be sure to take a disposable dish - never expect a grieving family to have to wash and return your casserole dish. It is very kind to think of ways to make things easier for them in the everyday things like this.

In a week or two, when most of the family has left and things quiet down, that would be a great time to take over some food/bars/rolls. Check in on your neighbor and see how she's doing.

No worries. Your heart says to do something so do it. You can make a casserole type dish, as they may have family coming by and no one feels like cooking when hey are emotional. You can take a case of drinks. As for the card, you can take it with you and leave it on the counter. Ask your husband to join you or go alone, but do what your heart tells you.

As for what to wear, blacks, blacks mixed with grey or white top, blues, no reds and no white dress of any sort. Dress or slacks, usually no jeans. Feel free to send a question over about your outfit and I will help as best possible.

My husband has no funeral experience either and I found it is because his mother never and still doesn't feel it is important for him to be there. He is a grown 42 year old man!

You could stop over with a cake or pan of brownies, be sure to put your name on any dishes or pans you would like returned. Offer your condolences, feel out the situation. Because all of you live in the country and have no nearby neighbors they were probably very close, about a week after the funeral invite the widow for supper or take something to her. Talk to her she will be very lonely and in need of someone to talk to. You could also offer to help take care of his things. She may not be ready but his clothing and other personal things will need to be packed up and given away. When she is ready help her empty out his closet and drawers and fold and pack his things. She may want to donate them to Goodwill or other such thrift store or a homeless shelter or the church. These items may be very dear to her as they are her only link to him. So don't rush her. She may also need help addressing and sending out thank-you notes. Periodically check on her, once a week or more invite her for dinner or coffee of just stop on to see her. Since you both live in the country and a place where winter can be brutal she will become lonely when people stop coming by to check on her. Make sure she has someone to spend the holidays with. Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's eve can be especially lonely after the passing of a loved one. Depending upon how able she is to get around she may need help clearing out her driveway and sidewalks after a snowfall. She may also need help with farm chores and other daily chores. Just be available, mostly during the first year after his passing. She will learn how to live day by day alone but the first year may be extremely difficult. She may want to visit his grave but not go alone. She may have the most difficult time around his birthday, their wedding anniversary, the date of his death etc. As you get to know her you will know when she really needs some companionship. Just be a friend, listen and be supportive of her feelings.

A condolence card is always fine at the funeral or at their home. Flowers might be a nice gesture (at the funeral home), but they can be expensive.
A frozen casserole in a disposable container that does not need to be returned is always an appreciated gesture and it never goes to waste.
With all the confusion and upheaval that comes with major life and death events, just not having to worry about making a supper can be a big help.
Funeral wear doesn't have to be too dressy, but it should be neat and somber colors are fine.

I'm not too keen on this either but if I were in your situation I would at least bring a casserole over there (in a disposable aluminumn pan).
Casseroles are always appropriate whether it be for births deaths sickness new house moving whatever. People like food. And if you make it one of those aluminum pans you won't have to worry about them returning or going back to their house to get it so the "involved" stuff won't matter.

I would mail the card after the funeral. If this man had an impact on your husband then I would mention it. Or mention that his childhood was brighter because of their family and you are sorry you don't know them better. Say you are very sorry for their loss and if they ever need anything to please feel they can call you.......if that's the way you feel of course.

Agree......dress casual nice in muted colors.

Take food. Anything is fine. Someone suggested drinks. Great! You could also make a little casserole or some meat.........or maybe you want to wait a week to do that and go over there just you and your husband to drop it off. Whatever you say or do will be appreciated. The idea of food is so that the grieving family doesn't have to worry about cooking or preparation. So if you make something I would suggest making it in a disposable tin so that the family does not have to worry about washing it or returning it.

By the way, most people aren't really sure what to do because each family is different. We can't know what they or feeling or what their expectations are in their personal grief. So best not to say a lot, just be there letting them know you are sorry for their loss.

1 / 3