Dealing with a 14 Year Old Daughter Who Is a Good Kid but Always Challenging My

My daughter can be very disobedient to me--constantly challenges my authority, seems very negative about school and other things. we do go to counselling, but the progress seems slow. Anyone out there to comiserate?

M.,

Continue to go to counselling, My oldest daughter is 21, there were times when I truely thought we would not make it to this age. She is trying to establish her idenity that is not linked to you, my daughter was a good kid, though hated high school. Please keep involved with her activities even when she is at her worst, this age is just very hard for both you and her she wants to be an adult but is far from it and yet still wants to be a kid. Feel free to email me, I know how difficult this time is for you.

N.

This is a very challenging time for her too. Teens struggle with so many things during this time. On your part, you will need plenty of patience, show love, be firm, she may need to be grounded from certain priviledges for you to make your point and discipline her. Even though she won't like it, kids need structure and they need to know there are boundaries and acting out does have its consequences.

Even my daughter that is 19 that I am very proud of now, went through a stage at that age that wasn't something I was happy about, but she managed to mostly stay out of trouble.

Most recently my stepdaughter who is 15 has gone through some trying times as she is maturing. We did our best to provide a home with rules, chores, rewards & discipline, however the downside is that she took the option to go live with her mother, so now all the rules have been thrown out the door because her mother doesn't share our values and morals. We already saw how living with her has negatively impacted her older siblings.

You on the other hand have a big advantage in that you and your husband are still together and can provide her a home with both parents who love her very much, just the fact that you are looking for advice and help through this trying time, shows how much you care about her.

Be very watchful of who she hangs out with as peer influences are VERY strong during this time in her life. Don't forget to praise her when she does things that are good and please you as she needs to know love and acceptance in addition to discipline. Children who don't get approval from their parents will seek it from other places such as friends and boyfriends and that is not always a good thing depending on who they hang out with.

I do hope in the end that you and she will have a strong mother daughter bond and that you will make it through this challenge with the best results.

Keep believing in your daughter and have confidence in you and your husband's way of rearing her. She is developing her own style and will go through these changes. Remember all your feelings and beliefs when you were her age.

Keep the faith.
Sylv

I taught middle school before I had my twins, two years ago. Your daughter is such a prime example of adolescent angst. And I also remember being in her shoes. She is a mess. I hope you acknowledge that without making her feel stupid. I think the pair of you need to go out together, maybe hike Stone Mt. or ride the Silver comet trail or paint pottery. . . she needs you more than she is letting on. She is still such a child but in an almost-adult body. Show her you can still have fun with her and be there for her. Get out of the home enviornment, where most of the conflict occurs; neutral ground. I think it will do both of you good. It's not gonna solve the problem, but I think it will help to reconnect a bit.

M.,

N.

hello,
I have a 13 yr old son and he is the exact same way. For some reason, once he turned 13 his entire personality changed. We have tried counselors and recently I made his father step in and he went to live with him. This was not easy!! I just don't know why he is so angry. I have spent so much time exhuasting everything to try to make him happpy that I feel that I have neglected everything else around me. I guess my response is you aren't the only one in this boat and adolescence is not easy for any of us. I just am trying to remember how I was at his or her age and I don't remember ever being that angry and defiant.

I am a new mom, my oldest is almost 4, so my advice comes in the form of memories of how my parents dealt with me. We were overall pretty good kids who weren't involved with "bad kids." Our main misdemeaners were insubordination and fighting amoungst ourselves. My parents did not believe in grounding us from our friends or activities (my mom thought that having friends and dance class, sports, etc made us well rounded). if were were drinking and partying, their punishment would probably have been different, but if we misbehaved, we got work detail. Not regular chores, mind you. It was work. We had a 700 foot long driveway and my mom wanted mulch on one side of it and gravel on the other. She had a dumptruck of each delivered to the house and if we misbehaved, we had to do a stretch of driveway. This entailed shoveling wheelbarrows full of mulch, pushing it up the hill and spreading it out, after weeding and laying that fabric to prevent weeds. The length of mulching depended on the severity of our action. I can assure you, it sucked to do this kind of work. I know I will use this form of punishment on my kids when they get a little older.

These are tough years.
I remember.
My kids are now 30, 28, and 24.
I have great relationships with each of them....we're truly friends as adults.

I remember the teen years, though.....and what works with one, may not be the best approach with another.

The one thing that I can say, that is ALWAYS good advice, is keep the communication lines open and make sure your daughter knows you love her no matter what. I remember one really tough time with my youngest......there was a wall growing between us, and I was feeling really desperate to break through.....and I remember telling her (and meaning it) that I loved her more than she could know, and she was a "part of my soul." It sounded a little unusual...and caught her by surprize, I think...but she (finally) heard me.

She needs to understand that you're a person with feelings and fears, yourself.....and you love her and will stick by her for all her life, no matter what. She needs to know that you're willing to do whatever it takes to be a true friend to her....that includes doing your best to keep her on the right track. Deep down inside, she probably knows that she can't say that about most of her peers, at this point in her life....although they are loyal enough right now. On the other hand, she's got to learn to be her own person and take responsibility for her own actions and decisions....apart from you. That's the tough part. Knowing how and when and how much to let go.....

Counseling is good. Also, it's good to know who her friends are.....although you can't control who she picks as friends, you can be familar with who they are, and not be a stranger. If you can welcome her friends into your home, and provide a fun/safe place for them to hang out....it's usually a good thing....

Hang in there. She won't be a teenager forever. Just hang on to the relationship during this trying time....

I remember being 14. It was aweful! It's a very awkward age. It's an inbetween age. You still want to do kid like things, but you feel that you're too "old" and yet you're not quite an adult. I remember the pressure I felt to figure out who I was. Trying to figure out where I fit in. The boys were constantly making sexual comments and asking for "favors". It was overwhelming. I was a good kid, an innocent kid and I was shocked. I wasn't ready to do those things, yet a number of kids my age were, including friends. The daily harrassment wore me down. I wasn't about to give in, but hearing that mess day in and day out from male peers was draining. Also I had some lousy teachers. Especially my advisor who told me I had to accept that I had no Math apptitude. I had been a straight "A" student until her. The school councelors were a joke. No one turned to them for help. I know that things aren't any better for kids today. I didn't talk to my mother because I didn't want to worry her and I thought that I could handle things myself. I wanted to be independent. I wanted to feel grown up and deal with it all by myself. Which wasn't a good thing. I isolated myself and felt alone. I'm just wondering if this could be the case with your daughter.
She may just have a lot to deal with right now and not know how to handle it. She's trying to separate herself from you and gain some freedom, but it's hard. That could be shown through the disobedience. The councelors approach is to help the client discover their own issues and work through them at their own pace. There is a councelor for everyone out there. You might want to try someone else. A different therapist might have an approach that is better for you both. Good luck to you.

1 / 3