Curious - New York,NY

Do you think a second grader and a first grader could get off the bus and be home alone for 35 mins afterschool? Safe neighborhood responsible kids???

I totally totally agree, my older son was trying to tell my his friend did this last year. I don't think this is true but i think I might just call and see. I don't know this family well, but maybe i can tell them about the after school programs in our area. it seemed unsafe tome, but i tend to helicopter.

No. The wisdom it would require for them to act appropriately when faced with danger/disaster is just not possible in a child this young. Pay for the childcare. It will be worth it 100 times over in the event that the unthinkable happened.

I have asked a police officer in Kansas and was told that they are too young. He said the earliest they can be left alone withOUT siblings is 10yrs old. To be able to watch siblings, the earliest is 12 years old.
I would not leave them home alone for even 5 minutes because anything could happen!

I personally wouldn't do that. I think the age for being home alone is 12 at the earliest. (in Tx) You never know what could happen, who is watching, etc....fire, choking, child abusers...plus it could always be longer than just 35 minutes...traffic, car accidents....don't do it. :)

NO.
Of course not!

Bear in mind, that Child Predators... OFTEN will be near bus stops and schools... they then watch and observe the kids, and where they live.... and/or follow them... home. Or, just grab them into their car.
This happens.
Even in nice neighborhoods.

School bus stops, are easy targets.
And if kids are walking home by themselves... they ARE easy, targets.
Bear in mind also... that in my city, a TWELVE year old girl, was walking home after school. In broad daylight AND there were many people around. A Man... in a truck, started following her.... and when the girl noticed, she started running... and then the guy in the truck kept following her..... she THEN had the good idea, to turn around, and run back to the school. Only then, did the man stop chasing her.
And, this was a 12 year old, girl.
In a nice neighborhood.

It does not matter... how smart or responsible a child is.
Crimes, happen.
It happens to any child, no matter how smart or responsible, no matter what age, and in all neighborhoods.

not a chance. that is plenty of time for something bad to happen. break in, fire (kids usually get scared and hide when there is a fire), they could choke on a snack, or any other number of things.

No. That is way too young. The oldest should be at least in 6th grade (age 12). How responsible can a second grader really be? Besides you could get reported to CPS and have your kids taken away. I don't think the authorities would find a second grader to be old enough/responsible enough.

Not in my house! I had issue with my middle schooler getting off the bus and home by himself!

No, they are a few years too young. I worked for child protective services and 10 is usually they youngest age recommended for a child to be alone (depending on circumstances maybe older). But maybe you could find a young teen (12 or 13) that could watch them for that short a time. I know I started babysitting at 13 and did that all through high school. If not, see who you know who is home at that time. Is there an after school program at your kids' school? Maybe a YMCA or Boys or Girls Clubs might have something.

I think you are going to get a lot of "no" answers to this one. I started leaving my daughter alone for about 35 mins at a time at age 7, but only infrequently. I would not have done it every day after school. Our state only has guidelines not laws about how old a child must be to be home alone. But I realized that my daughter was not real comfortable with it until age 8. Now at 9, she if absolutely fine with it.

1 / 3