Coughing for 2 Months!

Hi, Moms! My 2yo daughter has been coughing since February. We took her into the ER and they said it was chronic croup. A month later she was coughing so bad again (no bark cough) that I took her into her regular doctor. They heard some wheezing and gave her an inhaler with a mask. Her cough has various degrees, some are a dry cough that is just annoying, some seem to be wet and productive, and others are the ones that keep her up at night or she is coughing so bad that she is about to voimt.

The inhaler seems to help slightly, I am also giving her claritin because she has some eczema on her back. She is also itching much more lately and rubbing her nose and eyes.

I am sure they are going to tell me it is allergies. Can you tell me about how they test 2 year old for allergies? Also, any suggestions to releive this cough?

My son had a cough for about 2 months that one doctor said was allergies. When he finally got a high fever (104) another doctor in the pediatricians office decided to give him antibiotics and the fever and cough were both gone within a couple days. Good luck - hope she's feeling better soon.

Allergy testing can be done several ways...skin prick tests waiting for a reaction and a RAST test done with a blood draw.I think you get the best results with the least amount of discomfort for the child from the blood draw. The other option is to do an elimatin diet, but if it is fully environmental this will do nothing. My daughter also has celiac disease and had plenty of allergen reactions and dermatitis herpetiformis which all went away except soy when she went gluten free

Just a thought....I had a little one that had a cough for the majority of two years. I had heard everything in the book from doctors. Then I saw an Oprah show that talked about how cleaning chemicals can affect kids-especially ones with asthma or allergies. I switched my products about a year ago and I saw a dramatic difference. It was so nice to go through a winter season without all of the upper respiratory stuff. Good luck!

It sounds like allergies. My kids get tested with the allergy specialist by pricking their back with some allergen. If it creates bump, it's positive. I was tired of guessing of my child never ending sickness. He is a lot better now once we can avoid the allergens.

Vicks vaporub on the bottom of their feet then put the socks on before bed usually helps with cough. My pediatrician recommend zyrtec (last longer than benadryl).

Yes, I agree that it sounds like she is reacting to something in your environment, triggering the allergic cough and/or asthma.

We see Dr. Mary C. Tobin at Rush University Medical Center. There are two types of allergy tests that I know of that they use: one is the skin prick test, which can be done on little ones. You sit them chest to chest with you and the testing is done on their bare back. The other is a blood draw, cast a RAST, which is taken from the arm.

They can test for food and environment allergens (pet dander, dust, mold, tree, etc.)

Do you have a pet?

Here's a reputable link: http://www.foodallergy.org/

All I can tell you is that my son's chronic coughing and sinus infections ended once he began shots but he was 5.

Definitely schedule your little one for a doctors appointment with an Allergy/ Asthma specialist. They tested my 2 year old by pricking her back various times with needles. It sounds horrible, but she didn't seem to mind until one started itching! The sooner you get a diagnosis, the sooner you will get the medications you need to prevent this. They will likely prescribe an everyday medication (Singulair and Flovent), as well as rescue meds for the rough times. If the inhaler isn't working, ask for the nebulizer. I find it works MUCH better for those late night coughing attacks. Good luck.

You can do a skin prick that individually tests for many different allergies. However, my daughter just had that RAST test (actually it was called something else - it's the newer version of a RAST test.) It's a simple blood draw (as simple as it can be, though, for a two-year old!). You have to be off any antihistamine for at least 48 hours (i.e. Claritin).

This is a very allergy-prone season for some with the trees pollinating - usually is between March - May. Big culprits are: Maple, Birch, Beech, Oak, Elm and Ash. There are several others, too. Grass pollinating will start some time in May, or sooner depending on weather conditions.

The cough sounds like it could be allergy induced asthma and once the allergies are under control, the cough will lesson. Have your pediatrician recommend a good allergist or he can even give you a script to have allergy testing done, depending on your insurance. Also, do you have your own small, portable nebulizer? (i.e. the device they probably used in the dr's office with the mask) Probably something you should talk to your doctor about owning one. Your insurance may cover it.

Although this may be a result of allergies, it could very well be asthma induced by allergies. In that case, if you manage the allergies, you manage what is causing the asthma. These are likely seasonal allergies or allergies to something in the home. Regardless, ask the doc if you can have a trial of allergy medication, preferably a non drowsy formula-it worked wonders for my daughter. We noticed the constant cough prior to asthma problems, turns out it got much worse when school started. We never tested for allergies we sort of hit and miss-since they were not food allergies we decided that the "what" wasn't all that important, but the allergy medication was, since no matter what the result was, the solution was allergy medication..by trial and error, it was mold, mildew, formaldehyde, and a mild pollen allergy. The problem got worse when school started, since formaldehyde is used in most science class areas...eczema is a definate sensitivity, switch to clear products or melaleuca products, and really consider melaleuca products since inhaling most cleaners and detergents can REALLY have a big effect on asthma symptoms. I know a melaleuca rep if you need one. This helped with my daughters eczema too, as well as the grandkids. They all have eczema, asthma, and allergies. It helped--along with zyrtec and claritin.

1 / 3