Cleaning Sweat Stains Out of Hats?

My husband has a ton of hats he can't wear because of sweat stains around the brim. I have tried running them through the wash after dousing them with different stain lifters.. (I tried Shout, Clorox, oxi-clean, and Dawn dish soap.) I also tried scrubbing them by hand, with the same things. I am scared to experiment much more, because I don't want to ruin them by washing them so much.

Help? I hate to throw away so many hats that are still good!

shampoo.

Shampoo works on ring around the collar, should work on hats too. I rub the shampoo in, then put it in the washer.

Try working for UPS in the Texas summers - THOSE are sweat stains. Box truck - no AC, 100 degree plus days. My Fiance had sweat stains in EVERYTHING - including undergarments. The best way to handle them is Baking Soda and warm water. In the washer, air dry - never had a problem.

well, if you're on the verge of throwing them out, why NOT go ahead and give 'em a good wash?
i use a spray stain lifter (whatever's on sale, can't remember what's down there right now) and my regular costco powder detergent. and just like kristina, i add a dash of baking soda to the wash, and vinegar to the rinse, and air dry.
it's not a magic bullet. the hats he wears to do farm chores etc get stained. but it makes them last longer, and be nicer to have around.
khairete

1 / 3