Catering Ideas for Small 1St Birthday Party

My dd will be celebrating her first birthday in a week and we are having a party of about 25-30 people. I am in no way a party planner so need some assistance. Any suggestions for catering in Chicago (Logan Sq area)? Anyone happy w/ Portillo's? Also, how do you judge the # of people when ordering pans of food (i.e. pasta, beef, etc.)? Any suggestions or ideas will be appreciated!

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions. We are going to go with Pompei for this Saturday's party. I'm sure all will be pleased.

Portillo's is super-yummy and a great no-frills idea for a first party. As for how to order in large amounts, just ask the salesperson for help. He/she will be able to let you know how many people different serving sizes will accomodate, and if not ask for the supervisor. They should definately be able to help you out.

Portillo's has GREAT cake....and there food is wonderful. If you tell them how many people are coming they can recommend how much you need. Good Luck!

B & B Has wonderful choices of food to cater and they have many price ranges to choose from. Check out their website www.bbcater.com They give you sample menus and you can add more items to it. Check it out.

Maggiano's will bring giant salads and giant vats of pasta etc. They have GREAT cartering food and its perfect for a party of 25-30 people.

George Jewell has a new To Go catering www.georgejewellcatering.com they will do as much set up as you want and you can rent any supplies you might need from them too. Chicago Party Rentals is also a good place to get supplies.

Don't worry about juding the # of people when it comes to ordering pans of food--the place you order from can tell you how much to get for the number of people that will be eating. Be sure to tell them how many are adults and how many are kids! ALSO--I often plan to make a few of my own appetizers...this way people will eat something before the main meal...you will be sure not to run out of food---an extra few easy desserts along with the cake (brownies, chocolate chip cookies) has the same effect.

I have used Connie's pizza for catering and they provided a great service with reasonable price and delivery.

:-)

I do a lot of catering for work - I am always extremely happy w/ Pompei. They will deliver or you can pick up at their location (Wellington/Sheffield) or on Taylor St. The pack everything up in sturdy boxes - include lots of bread, butter, etc. You can order 1/2 or full trays from their catering menu. The chicken ravoli w/ a creamy sauce is always a hit. They also have large salads or their "pizza's"..I forget what they call them. All meals come w/ bread and butter. Portillo's is okay but tends to me a little greasy for some people... Good Luck!

I just had my daughter's first birthday party catered this weekend by Father & Son/Marcello's. I thought the food was great and I got a lot of compliments from my guests. Btw, our party was 60+ people.

We have always used Browns Chicken for catering. It is nice because you can get other items besides chicken like mac and cheese or spaghetti. They will help you out deciding how much to order.
Cheryl

1 / 3