Cat Using Flower Bed as Litter Box

I am hoping one of you wonderful ladies can help me out here. The neighborhood cat has decided to use the flower bed outside my front door as his litter box. Now there is a constant smell of cat droppings (to put it nicely) when you approach my front door. Does anyone know of anything I could possibly mix into the soil or put in/near the flower bed to keep the cat away? I don't want anything that would harm him, but I need to get him out. The flower bed is in a shaded spot that runs along the front of my house and only has two roses in it. I would love to hear any ideas. Thanks!

Thanks, everyone, for the great suggestions. I think I am going to try the wire mesh, since it's a rather large flower bed and I would need a huge amount of whatever I decided to sprinkle out there, if I went that route. I am also going to check Petco to see if they have something not too expensive I can throw out there along with the mesh, just as an extra precaution. I will keep you posted.

Can you get a motion activated sprinkler that will squirt the cat when it comes to visit?

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Activated-Sprinkler-Animal-B...

Pet stores sell products for just that problem. I've seen stuff at Petco and PetSmart. I can't remember the names, though, as I've never had to use them. Good luck!

Does the flower bed have mulch over the soil? Cats like easy digging to bury their waste. Large wood chips would probably work and I know rocks as mulch would definitely work (we have to use them in our indoor planters to keep one of our cats out).

Pine cones work wonders, and they can look nice too

Try a little (or a lot of) cayenne pepper. It can't hurt. Cats and dogs often don't like it and stay away from the place. On the other hand, it might give kitty a taste for cayenne pepper. You never know with cats.

A neighbor's cat... used to do that... but in my vegetable garden.
SO irritating.
So what I did was.... I put bamboo poles/stakes (the kind you use for beans or vines to crawl up on)... all over my garden, in equal spacing... so that the darn cat... could not even fit his arse... or himself, in the garden, to poop and pee.
Worked like a charm.
And it protected my plants, too.

Put garlic cloves in the pot.
Or top your pot off with cinders. It is pokey and harsh to step on.

Cayenne pepper.
Or, just go to a Costco type store and get a big container of crushed black pepper.
Sprinkle liberally.
It won't hurt your plants and it won't really hurt the cats. If they get a whiff...they won't be back.
I got rid of gophers with cayenne pepper too.

We put wire (like 3" x 3" squares) just below the soil - our plants could still grow up thru the wire but there wasn't room for the cats to squat & scrap. Cheap and easy solution, no need to reapply like repellants and cayenne!

C.---You might try going to a lawn and garden store. You should be able to find a repellant spray to use on your flower bed. You should also be able to find several sources of sprays online. Try Gardeners Supply Co.

You might also have to resort to some landscaping changes. The cat will not be able to use your beds as a litter box if it is covered with rocks. I've had to do that with my houseplants to keep my kitty out of them. It's just in their nature and if left to go outside, they will dig to pee and poop.

Good luck! D.

1 / 3