Can You Mix Breast Milk with Other Breast Milk?

Hello ladies:
With my first child I couldn't pump so I dont know the answer to this question. This may sound silly but I don't know that is why I am asking. If I pump breast milk can it be mixed with same day pumped milk? My son does drink formula from time to time and when he drinks it he drinks anywhere from 4-5 oz. I can only pump about 3oz each time I pump that is why I am asking. He is satisfied when he breastfeeds not wanting/looking for more so I know he is fine. I also know that pumping and breastfeeding are different the baby gets more when they breastfeed than you may get whith pumping. please let me know. thanks, S.

Do you have a double pump? If not, consider renting one (Babies R Us rents them) or seeing if your insurance carrier will provide you with one. Some do but a lot of the times the people who work there aren't 100% sure so they'll default to a no answer when you ask. If you get a no at first, call back and talk to someone else. Double pumping is more effective and quicker; you don't have to wait for two letdowns, for one!

Anyway! Sorry about the ramble. To answer your question: yes you can mix the milk, as long as you aren't mixing warm/fresh with chilled.

Yes you can mix from the same day. I am assuming you have refrigerated it. I would pump all day and come home and put it in 4 oz pkgs in the freezer for later.

I spoke with a lactation consultant at Oakwood Hospital. She said that you can add to chilled breast milk in the fridge as long as you have chilled the new stuff. You can add cold or cooled to cold or cooled. This can only be done for up 24 hours. Then it should be frozen. It will keep in a regular freezer for up to 3 months and a deep freeze for up to 6 months. Make sure to store in the back of your freezer, not on the door.

I nursed both of my children and mixed what I had pumped throughout the day. I worked during the day so I would pump in the morning, on my lunch and before bed so I would have enough for the next work day. Both of my girls were just fine!

Yes you can mix it. Pumped milk is good in the refigerator for 5-7 days, in a regular freezer for 3 months and a deep freezer for 6 months. Even if you need to mix milk from different days that is fine, just make sure if you're mixing refrigerated milk, make sure they're both the same temperature first. Meaning, if you pump in the morning and then again in the afternoon, the afternoon milk needs to get cold before mixing it with the morning milk. I had to buy little freezer bags and tubes for milk storage, I got them at Babies R Us. Good luck!!

1 / 3