Buying Birthday Gifts with His Money

We are a one-income family because I lost my job and my husband agreed to take over making the money and I agreed to stay home with the child.

How do you work birthday gifts for him when it's HIS money? I don't have any money of my own, I spend all my time caring for the home. My husband says he might as well go out and buy his own gift since it's "his" money. I think it's "our" money since I don't get paid to clean the house and cook dinners. I used to be the breadwinner and he was the stay-at-home dad which he hated. I love being a SAHM, but that comes without a paycheck. He worked part-time and we bought each other gifts from our own earnings.

I feel awkward asking him for money to buy his own gift now. I feel awkward asking him for money for anything since I was always financially independent. I'm thinking that working out some kind of weekly spending allowance for each of us would help, but how do I buy a gift from that? We budgeted an amount we'd spend on Xmas and birthday, but now it's all strange.

What do you do, SAHMs?

I am a SAHM and am also in charge of finances. First off you should not be awkward about spending the money. Second he should not even at the slightest hint or refer to the monies as "his". If he insists in those terms them maybe he can pay you for the things you around the house. He would not want that as he will probably owe you more than he can pay you.

In this situation, maybe a weekly allowance would be best. I do put a certain $$ amount in my DH account every payday. It goes automatically. He has his debit card to use without me hounding on him and it gives him a sense of independence without going overboard on spending.

I am a SAHM too and my husband works outside of the home. But just because the paycheck is in his name doesn't mean it's just his money. It's our money. We're in this together. A couple of times I have told him about the guilt I sometimes feel about not going to work (I've always been financially independent too) and he put it to me like this: we both have jobs- his job is outside the home and my job is inside the home. We both work to provide for our family. He does it by earning money, I do it by running our house (cleaning, cooking, bill paying, etc).
I don't feel bad about using the money he brings home to buy things for him for that reason- it's our money.
I'm not sure what your arrangement is but my opinion is both partners should have equal access to the family's income. Neither should have to ask for money. Not to say their shouldn't be a budget or either shouldn't tell the other how the money is spent though. The way my husband and I worked it out when I stopped working is this: if we are going to spend over $20 on something other then necessities then we tell the other before we buy it. Except for things like gifts for each other (unless it's really big ticket item- then we tell each other). But I do the book keeping so if he writes a check or uses the debit card he has to tell me so I can keep things in balance.
Anyway, buy him a gift and don't feel guilty. And the next time he says a bonehead thing like it's his money then tell him you can go back to work and he can budget 'his' money for a maid and a babysitter and a cook and an errand person and someone to do everything else you do on a daily basis to take care of your family.

You need to make a budget and in the budget should be some discrestionary money for you to use for whatever you want to use it for. My husband has always worked and his paycheck has always been our money. You might want to get a part time job if this is an issue for the two of you.

I do work part-time, but we've budgeted spending money for me since my pay isn't that much. Bi-weekly, I take my designated amount out of the bank to spend how I please. I buy gifts for my husband from that money and if I have to "save up" for something big, I do (I have my own bank account). He's never said that he might as well buy his own gifts.

I think you can work something out. Everyone deserves their own money to spend how they please. Good luck.

It seems someone has to change his ways of thinking or if I were you I would go back to work.

I'm a SAHM but I take care of the finances. My husband actually has to tell me when he is going to get cash out to buy me something (just to make sure I deduct it, not getting permission). Our money has always went into the same account (I worked up until last year). It's always been OUR money, not his or her money. I actually think that's pretty crappy of your husband to act like that when you two made the decision together for you to stay home. I would talk to him about what he said and let him know you work to, you just don't get paid for your 24/7 job. You should be given some type of an allowance each pay. Just work it out together in your budget.

Money stress is such a bummer. Perhaps the gift of TIME would work? Does he have something that he's wanted to do but hasn't had time? You could give him a gift certificate for the time to do that. Or work with friends to have a surprise birthday party - potluck so the financial burden wouldn't be on anyone. Or if someone can watch your kiddo for the night, or even a few hours - wrap yourself in a bow ; )

I'm a SAHM and my husband would NEVER NEVER NEVER say the income is HIS money. We have always said "he makes us money and I save us money" and it's a team effort to have money and use it wisely.

I manage our finances so it is easy for me to buy gifts for him and not give away the surprise. My husband took cash this year to buy my Christmas gifts and keep the surprise. I think next year we might purchase Visa giftcards and use those to purchase Christmas gifts for each other - that way we stick to our budget also.

For birthdays we have changed things around recently and purchase a small gift that is from the children to give as a group gift. Then, instead of buying each other gifts we will be spending that money on a nice date instead.

1 / 3