Breastfeeding Twice a Day: Is It Possible?

Is anyone able to breast feed only twice a day? I'm a teacher, and have a sixth month old. In August, when I return to work, I'd like to avoid pumping during the school day, if at all possible (it's hard to leave a classroom full of third graders, even with help from fellow teachers and/or assistants). However, I'd still like to breast feed my baby in the morning and evening - I would like my daughter to still get the benefits of breast milk. I'm just afraid my milk supply will get too low (or disappear) if I breast feed only twice a day. This is my first baby, so I'm unexperienced. Any advice is appreciated! Thanks!

Thank you everyone for your advice and your personal accounts. I appreciate your input, and you've given me lots to think about regarding breast feeding twice a day. I think I'll nurse my daughter in the morning and in the evening, and then pump before I go to bed. I would really like to avoid pumping at school as it's not only hard to leave my class, but our lunch is too short and as a team leader, I'm often busy during my plan times. However, as many of you suggested, if I need to, I can pump right after school too. Thanks again - you've been a great help and I feel better about making my decision.

S. in OK

When my daughter was 6 months old, I was ready to start weaning her, but I didn't want to completely quit nursing. I would nurse her first thing in the morning, give her formula during the day, then nurse her before she went to bed at night. I did this for 3 months, and I didn't have any problems with my milk supply.

You absolutely can! I do it now. My daughter is 25 1/2 months old now. During the week she usually nurses at around 4-5:00 in the morning and at bedtime. Occasionally she'll want to nurse again around 7:00 in the morning before we leave for daycare or when we get home in the evening. On weekends she also nurses before nap and occasionally another time or two during the day depending on how busy we are. Nursing in the mornings and evenings is a great way to start and end your day and your baby's day when you are apart and busy during the week.

I nurse my 10 month old 2-3 times a day and I have been doing this for about a month with no problems. I plan on doing it until she is 12 months. Good luck!!

The supply of breast milk as you probably know, is all supply and demand based, therefore if you remove milk from the breast via the baby nursing or to a lesser degree by the pump, it will be replaced. I think you can still have a good supply if you pump or nurse alot during the other hours that you are not at work. It would have to be more than twice a day though to keep up your supply. If you can nurse before and after work as much as possible. With your baby being only 6 months old, you have say another year or so of nursing yet, and the health benefits are so expansive. You could also try mother's milk tea and other herbal enhancers if you are so inclined.
B. S. RN CCM (former lactation consultant)

As long as the breast milk is being used, it will be available. I produced milk until my last child was almost 3, and I stopped breastfeeding him long before that. So, I think that as long has you have the stimulation of feeding your daughter, you will be able to breastfeed.

Hi S.
Well as a former teacher I did not breastfeed my youngest daughter but had friends at school who did. I know you said you did not want to pump at school but would it be too much for you to pump on your planning period or at another short break that you may get. I know that it is very difficult to leave the classroom, but if you can try to pump at sometime even around your lunch time. I am not sure if you have any assistants or things in your room, but I would try to find a way to atleast pump once at school to keep your milk flowing. Well good luck!
www.forourkidz.fourpointmoms.com

It's possible,but, your milk is most likely gonna dry up-sorry.If she's been breastfeeding since birth,then actually she has gotten all of the nourishment from you that she needs...but, you can still let her suckle from you if u want the closeness...good luck

The short answer: yup. :)

My daughter, when she was finally weaning, got down to about once a week, then once every other week. If your supply gets low during the week, you might want to nurse more on weekends (take a breast pump or learn to hand express early in the week, in case of engorgement). Since she's over six months, supplemental solids are a great way to go while she's away from you. Water in a sippy, O cereals, fruits, veggies, tender meats, introduced slowly, of course, can keep her content until you get home.

You might find that nursing when you first get home is a great way for both you and baby to relax. The prolactin release from nursing is a great way to get your head back to home mode from work mode.

As long as there is some nursing going on, you'll keep making milk, especially since most milk is made while the baby is nursing. Another bonus, the fewer times a day a baby nurses, the more concentrated the immunological properties are in milk. So babies that nurse once or twice a day are getting much the same benefit in that regard as babies that nurse 8 times a day. Which could be very helpful if you're going to be around a bunch of "germy kids" all day! (ask me; I have a going-on-fourth grader and a first-grader-to-be, but never had a sick baby during school last year).

You're doing a great job, by the sound of it. Keep it up and good luck in school this fall!

1 / 3