Breastfeeding and Hair Loss - Help

Has anyone else experience hair loss while nursing? I've noticed over the past week that my hair has been falling out like crazy. This happened while I was nursing my first child, but I attributed it to becoming pregnant with the second child and my body not being able to keep up with the demands placed upon it. It's getting to be distressing to see all the hair in the shower drain, or the hair the hair on my hands when I put gel in my hair. Any info on how to stem the tide of hair loss would be greatly appreciated.

I'm glad to hear that the hair loss isn't linked to the breast feeding. I guess I'll just have to relax and let nature do her thing. Thank you all for your input and support - it's greatly appreciated. (Time to go stock up on hair gel!)

The hair loss thing is perfectly normal. You actually grow extra hair while pregnant & then it falls out afterwards. After both my children I swore I was going bald, but it does eventually stop. Don't worry about it.

HI,
I just wanted to say that my daughter is 4 months old and my hair is falling out like crazy too!! Its kind of alarming at first - and seems to start all of a sudden - it started when she was about 3 months old. From what people say - I guess its normal - but its weird just the same!

I had/have the same issue. About a month after my daughters birth I really started to notice it. Gobs of hair. I stopped breastfeeding around 6 months, she is now 10 months and my hair is still falling out. I attributed it to just another part of having a baby. Plus, when I was pregnant I noticed that barely any hair fell out. Even when I brushed my hair there would be no hair in the brush when I was done. It's all very weird to me, but I'm not worried...at least until I get a bald spot or something.

Hi H.,

Don't worry, it is very normal to lose a lot of hair while nursing. When you were pregnant you had high levels of certain hormones that prevent hair loss. Now, after your baby was born, the hormone levels have decreased to normal and you have a lot of "extra" hair that you will lose. Many women also get bold spots. Again, very normal and it will all grow back. I also have two children and lost A LOT of hair when nursing my first born and now I am losing A LOT of hair again when nursing my second child :) Enormous amounts of hair (it feels like) especially after washing the hair. With both children it started when they were about five months old. You can be sure you will stop losing all this hair eventually. It really has not much to do with what you eat, how much you sleep etc, but rather hormone levels.

regards,
V.

Hi H.!

You aren't alone! I breastfed my son until he was 10 months. At about 5-6 months, I noticed the hair around my face was totally broken off - it like like I had a spike hair cut. When I was at the hairdressers I mentioned to her how I had been straightening my hair everyday (I have curly hair) and I damaged it so much that the hair around my face must have fallen out! SHE was the one who told me that I lost my hair from being pregnant! It wasn't from straightening it! So, I don't think there is any way to stem the..its just the hormones leaving your body...good luck though! It will return to normal on your own.

My hair is falling out too, but I think it has to do with not being pregnant anymore. When you are pregnant you have less hair loss so your body is making up for it.

I also read more about it on babycenter:

http://www.babycenter.com/0_postpartum-hair-loss_11721.bc

Hi H.,
I remember losing a ton of hair after my second baby, too, though I only nursed him about 5 months. I checked into it and found it was mostly due to pre and post-pregnancy hormones, and also the need to lose all the extra hair you grow while pregnant. Like you, I thought I'd go bald and was driving my husband crazy clogging up the shower drain, "shedding" all over the house, in bed, etc. It seemed to be worse with #2, but I'm not sure why. Your hair loss will definitely stop...as far as I know, you have to just let it happen!! I am now pregnant again, and my hair is really thick and out of control- I can't wait to shed!!

P.S. I just read through some of your responses and was reminded that like a few others, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism after #2. If you also have been feeling REALLY run down, listless, and easily chilled, you should definitely get some blood work done.

It probably doesn't have anything to do with the breastfeeding so much as delivering the baby in the first place. A lot of moms (me included), STOPPED losing hair at the regular rate while pregnant but after delivery, the hair that we SHOULD have lost during pregnancy, all falls out about the same time. Kinda freaked me out, too. With as much as was coming out, I thought I would end up bald! However, the exodus does eventually taper off and things return to normal after a couple of months. Not much you can do to prevent/treat from what I understand.

Please consider seeing your doctor. This happened to my sister and she was suffering from a post partum adrenal gland problem that required medical intervention to treat. After her hair started falling out she began having other problems as well. Hair loss can also be from hypotyroidism which also happens post partum sometimes. However, there could be a simpler explanation, many women experience some hair loss after giving birth because the hormone shift while pregnant causes changes in the proteins in your hair and scalp and most women do not lose hair much or at all while pregnant and when the hormones return to pre pregnancy levels the "extra" hair falls out. But, all the same, I would go and have some bloodwork to be sure there isn't something else going on.

I feel your pain! My hair was EVERYWHERE a few months after my baby was born. I lost a ton of hair right around my hairline (I cut some bangs to cover up the funny short hairs). The only thing you can really do is keep taking your multivitamin or prenatals and drink lots of water... It will come back- it just happens to everyone with the hormone shift after giving birth. No fun, I know. Happy hairstyling :)

1 / 3