Breastfeeding 16 Month Old

My 16 month old still bfeeds 4-5 times a day. He eats about 4 small-medium meals and 2 snacks a day. I am confused as to what is best for him...If he gets this amount bmilk as a young toddler, does this interfere with his getting nutrients from other foods? Does bfeeding a toddler impact the development of his independence? As an aside, by summer (after flu and cold season) I hope to get the feeding down to 2-3 times a day and eventually 0-1 by the time he is two years old.

Any thoughts and advice about bfeeding young toddlers is welcomed...

Once again...thanks to all for the thoughtful advice and support. We (my husband and I and our loved one :)) decided to continue our path of bfeeding and letting our LO self-wean so to speak. On his own, bfeeding is still going strong, but is now about 3-4times a day, leaning toward 3. As an aside, he has been mildly ill a great deal this winter, and like many of you wrote, I was always glad that he was getting the comfort and nutrition of bmilk when he was not feeling like himself.

I nursed my daughter till she was 3.6 years and my 18 month old son still nurses. Breastmilk provides a safety net (what if he gets sick? Has a tummy bug?) for your children and is untouchable as the perfect food. And nursing long term has no impact on independence - if anything, the knowledge that mom is always their to sooth him should make him a more confident kid.

I would let him wean himself - they all do at their own time. If you rush it, it can backfire and he could become more clingy and demand the breast more.

Good luck and good job nursing!

Hi there,

I have not read the other responses, but don't let anybody pressure you to stop breastfeeding your toddler. It's not totally accepted in this culture to nurse a toddler, so you are fighting people's perceptions and cultural norms; however, your child's health and what works for your family is paramount.

I nursed one daughter to 17 months and the second to 29 months. I never expected to nurse past two years, but she loved it so much and it worked for us. Plus, I knew the benefits of nursing toddlers (discovered them with my first who never had an ear infection or allergic reaction until after I weaned her.)

They are both fun, independent, very intelligent little girls who are not clingy or developmentally stunted due to extended breastfeeding.

I believe a mother should breastfeed for as long as she and her child mutually agree upon it. That is to say, if one of you really wants to stop, it's time to stop. If both of you are happy to continue nursing, it's nobody else's business to tell you to stop.

Here are a couple of article I have written on the topic:
Nutritional Benefits of Breastfeeding Toddlers: http://breastfeeding.suite101.com/article.cfm/nutritional...
Mental and Emotional Benefits: http://breastfeeding.suite101.com/article.cfm/extended_nu...

Whatever you decide, your son is a lucky little boy for being breastfed by a dedicated mom for over a year. :) Enjoy your little boy.

I breastfed until 19 months - I worked, but on weekend it was about the same amount as you describe. I wish I had breastfed longer, but I felt pressured to wean by my husband and family.
It is SOOO beneficial for them, psychologically and for their immune system. It does not interfere with their social development and a recent study actually showed that breastfed toddler had less behavioral problems and were less likely to be aggressive.
There is nothing that cows milk can provide that you breastmilk does not! His eating habits sound fine (more than my daughter eats now as a two year old...) so I would not worry at all.
Keep on doing what you're doing for as long as you both feel comfortable...

Your son sounds like a perfectly balanced nursing toddler! If you see that he is growing well and his energy is fine, you can tell he's getting what he needs. Breastmilk is a food that will give him a healthy body and nursing will give him mothering that he needs to face the world! Offer him plenty of table foods in a calm setting and make that fun too. I've heard there's nothing quite like the taste of breastmilk(!) but my guess is that he'd be willing to try some variety. If you aren't already in touch with LaLeche League in your area, look them up. They have helped a lot of us through similar situations. Enjoy this time. You'll look back on this with so much love in the future!

I breastfed my daughter well until she was 2, although because i worked and was working towards weaning her, I worked it down to 3x around 18 m (wake time, naptime on the days I was home and bedtime) -She is well developed, independent(fiercely some days!) and has only been sick (beyond the sniffles) twice and she has been in preschool/daycare for a yr and a 1/2 now!! I think you have to accept that it is different for everyone, and just do what works for you and your child!! Good Luck! L.

I bf my son until 31 months. Breastmilk is the best thing for your toddler. As pp said the nutritional value to breastmilk is by far superior to any food you can feed your dc. Keep on bf until YOU feel it's time to quit. I would definitely aim to make it at least 2 years.

My son is very independent and well adjusted so I wouldn't worry about bf causing dependence.

Since it is recommended to breastfeed till 2 years old, I don't think you need to worry at all about the nutrients. My son is on whole milk, and I think he probably drinks more calories right now than eats.

I also wouldn't worry about his independence, I know clingy kids that never breastfed, independent ones that breastfeed till 2, and vice versa. I think it is just the kids' personality. How long you decide to breastfeed is up to you and is a personal decision. For me, my husband wanted me back :), and I just really didn't like the idea of my son "telling" me it was time to breastfeed. We weaned totally at 14.5 months, and now at 22 months, I look at how big he is and am happy I did it when I did, although it made me sad at the time. Whatever your reasons and your timing, it is up to you and your son.

Breast milk, calorie for calorie, is more nutritious than any other food. This is even true past the 12 month mark. So no need to worry about nutrients. Does it impact his independence? Some would say yes, it's makes them more secure with their relationships and therefore more independent in the long run. Also, keep in mind that he will continue to receive antibodies from you -- especially helpful during the cold and flu season.

Extended breastfeeding offers a child many benefits. I think you'll find the following links helpful:

http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-benefits.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/bfextended/ebf-refs.html
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/prepare/bf-benefits.html

1 / 3