Breast Pump - Stamford,CT

Which is the best breast pump on the market?

Medella...I got the back pack one. I worked full time when I was using it with my first one (have a second one coming but now working 4 days a wee). So I really started using it when the baby was 3 months when I went back to work. But I was working full time down on wallstreet. I pumped 2-3 x a day at work and put the milk in the cooler and toted it back and forth. Extracted all milk and I was able to solely breast feed my child (no formula) for the first 6 months and continued to breast feed until he was 2.5.

Depends on your needs. If you will be pumping every day while at work, like I did, I would recommend a double electric pump. I use the Medela Pump in Style and have been happy with it (2 children).

I used the Avent pump and wouldn't have any other one. I have tried the Medula and others and found that they don't match up to the Avent which is small, compact, easy to use one-handed, and I comfortable to use. Some of the other ones caused discomfort, the Avent doesn't.

I love my Medela. It's easy, comfortable, and came with a cool backpack. Sounds silly, but I found the backpack really useful! When you travel with your pump, you often have plenty of other junk to haul on your shoulders.

PS The Lansinoh bags are the best, though! They hold more milk.

Avent Isis

It has a soft suction-like insert that mimmicks baby's sucking. It also makes it gentle on the breasts. I've tried others like Medela and thought my nipples were going to be ripped off! I've use my Isis with all three of my children now. It has definitely been worth the money.

Hi P.,

I had the Avent Isis manual pump when I had my daughter 3 1/2 years ago. I loved the pump!

Now I just had a baby boy 4 months ago and I couldn't tolerate the Avent pump. My husband went and purchased me the Medela pump in style Advanced Pump and it is wonderful!!!! It's such a great pump. I love the fact that it is dual. I am done pumping within 10 minutes. I highly recommend this pump. The only downfall to this pump is it is costly. It ran aout $300 for the pump. It is soooooooooooo worth it though. I would never go back to a manual pump again. The only other problem I had with this pump is the flanges. I had to buy two different sizes before I had the correct one. No, big deal though. Easy cleaning, came in a shoulder bag, and you can plug it into an outlet, use battery pack, or you can purchase car adapter for it. I've been using this pump for the last 4 months and love it!!!

I was an exclusive pumper for 6 months. Part of that time I used a hospital rental of the medela symphony, which was really the best, and easy to rent, about $60 a month, but still cheaper than formula. That's really the gold standard. I used that to get my supply started. Once it was started, I owned and used the Medela Pump In Style, which was great.

Hello P.,

Rent a hospital grade Medela double pump - you will be happy you did :)

Cheers,
R.

It depends on how much you will be using it. I have a Medela Swing which has worked well for me. It's cheaper than some of the fancier ones but it's a single pump. I was lucky enough to stay home with my daughter until she was almost 6 months so by the time I went back to work I only had to pump once a day while I was there. Being that it is a single pump, I have one hand free so I usually sit at my desk and work on the computer while pumping. It's very compact and comes with a little drawstring bag to throw it in and go. Also, it can be plugged in or run on 4 double A batteries which I have found convenient when we are out for the whole day, because I can pump just about anywhere (even in the car while someone else is driving)! Hope this helps. Good luck!

Hi P.,
Medela pumps are seen as the gold standard. If you're going to be at work or school, and away from your baby every day, I'd suggest buying the best breastpump your budget can allow. This is definitely an item to splurge on. The Pump In Style Advanced - or whatever Medela may have replaced it with - is a great double electric pump.
If you will only be pumping occasionally, the Avent Isis is a great manual pump. I actually used this pump to leave milk for my exclusively breastfed baby when I worked fulltime from 2 months to 13 months, but most women aren't going to be able to do that with a manual pump. I know that Avent now makes an electric pump that is supposed to be on the same level as the PIS Advance, but I have no experience with it that I can share
GOod luck

i know this info is not current, but i will tell you that i have been using my medela pump in style almost continuously for 5.5 years now, through 3 babies, it has been used and abused, it has been dragged around, stood on, dropped, traveled with me, and has pumped probably a couple hundred bottles for me. it has never so much as had a glitch. my second baby was in the nicu for the 1st week and they wouldnt let me breastfeed her, they gave me a hospital grade pump, i used it twice and had hubby bring me my medela, it absolutely blew the hospital one away. i have actually said to him that it is one of the few things i have spent money on that i feel is worth every penny and more. plus i think the new ones are even smaller, more convenient. i know its expensive, but if you are going to need a good quality pump that will last, i cant recommend it enough. and by the way, i also have the avent isis hand pump, i dont use it regularly, but for traveling or if you get clogged ducts, it is awesome. ive used it in cars, planes, trains, etc, and in the shower with hot water running on me for clogged milk ducts, its worth it for that alone. best of luck, D.

I love my Medela Pump In Style. I think it ends up being cheaper in the long run to buy one rather than rent the hospital pump.

Medela Symphony. It's a hospital grade double pump. The best rental price I've seen is at Babies R Us. I got my insurance to cover the rental - it's worth a try!