Bowel Movement

My son is now 6 months old. He still has about 2 to 3 bowel movements daily and the stool is still very loose (same as 2 months old baby) despite the cereal just starting 1 week ago. I read and it says the average for 6 month old is 1x/d and stool is more solid since his digestive system working better now. I asked Dr., he said it is normal since every baby is different. I am still scared of his digestive/absorbtion...
Any Mom has experience like mine. Please, share with me...

Thanks

My daughter is 15-months old and still goes two to three times a day. She just started getting solid stool. I have asked the Dr. several times regarding the issue and he is not concerned what so ever. My little girl is happy and healthy, so I don't worry any more either. Once in a while my little girl still has soft stool.

Trust your doctor (and I don't always say that!). If your son is having difficulty with absorption, he will fall below his personal growth curve. Unless your child has diarrhea (truly watery stools), I don't see any reason that you should be concerned about absorption. I'm guessing you are introducing solids slowly, as you should, in which case the majority of his diet is still breast milk. Also, one week is not very long for a baby's system to adjust. Averages for things like BMs are often not that helpful. You can have lots of kids who have one every other day and lots who have two per day and end up with an average of one per day but with few kids who actually go once a day. Obviously this is just an exaggerated example to make a point, but, even with adults, the "normal" range for frequency of bowel movements ranges from 3x per day to once every three days. Babies who are breastfed have more frequent poops than babies who are not. The one poop per day average likely includes kids who are on formula. Even if not, unless your son's poop is truly watery, you likely have nothing to worry about. My son had lots of stomach problems from quite young until he was about three, I have IBS, and I have close friends with Crohn's and ulcerative colitis. I am not one to dismiss digestive concerns. However, if your concerns are solely based on the info you have included in your post, I really do not think anything is wrong. Please do not introduce soy, as another poster suggested, because soy allergies are relatively common in children under five. From Lucile Packard Children's Hospital at Stanford's website:

"Approximately 90 percent of all food allergies are caused by the following eight foods:
milk
eggs
wheat
soy
tree nuts
fish
shellfish
peanuts"

The longer you wait to introduce these foods, the less likely your son will be to develop allergies to them. Most recommendations I've seen say to wait until at least 12 months for these foods (except nuts, because they're still a choking hazard at that age) and to wait longer if there is a family history of a specific food allergy. Most kids grow out of soy allergies in a few years, but why add a variable unnecessarily? The Lucile Packard website has suggestions for what types of foods to introduce next and how to do it if you're interested in more info.
Take care,

My son used to BM 2x/day to sometimes 4x/day. I didn't worry because he was in 95% in growth and weight chart. If he's growth is on track, I wouldn't worry. The way I saw it, having multiple BM meant he was processing his food quickly - not inefficiently since his BM looked good.

Hello,

My daughter was the same way, she had runny diapers until she was about 5 months (I mean watery, I almost decided to stop breastfeeding because I thought it was my milk...) but the pediatrician said it was normal. She got better with time, I know your feeling because I was concern all the time.
Now my little girl is 11 months and she has 2-3 bowel movements a day...
My baby for sure has been different from all 'avg' babies but she is healthy and happy.
HTH

If you're still nursing, that could explain the loose bowels. Remember that breastmilk has a natural laxative. When my son started cereal the only change in his poops was that they went from that sweet, eggy smelling stuff to more poopy, but they stayed loose until well past a year.

My son is almost 2 and a half and still has 2 to 3 movements a day (he's a big time fruit eater). Your boy sounds just perfect. Don't stress over this.

As long as your son seems healthy, i wouldn't worry about it. Obviously his little body is absorbing whatever it needs if he is growing and developing normally.

Oh my gosh, I thought the same thing with my little one! I would see the food he had eaten in his diaper undigested. It is normal. You have just introduced something new into his body. His digestive system has to learn how to break down and utilize the food. I did not start seeing soild-like poo until 8 1/2 months old. Also keep in mind that if you are nursing your son is already getting all the nutrition he needs. Introducing solids is really just teaching our little ones how to eat. --B.

BRAT: bananas, white rice, unsweetened applesauce, and white toast. These are good "binding" agents for little bodies that have loose stools. Don't worry about frequency-- everyone has his own rhythm. If your son is drinking formula, I would be suspicious that this might be causing the loose stools. My children were both sensitive to cow's milk and had to have soy formula when they weren't nursing.

I don't know if your son is breastfed or formula fed, but all the studies in the books are based on formula fed babies. Breast fed babies always have looser stools and is absorbed faster than formula fed babies. Unless your son is losing weight, not growing properly on his individual growth chart, don't worry! He's probably fine. If you are worried though, you can always call the doc and speak to them about your concerns.

You might try holding off on the cereal. There are many holistic practitioners that feel grains, even rice shouldn't be started that early, and can cause problems like leaky gut and allergies. That said, most days my son always had more than 1 bm a day, bananas helped firm his bms some when he was loose. If he is thriving otherwise I wouldn't worry about it, if he seems extra fussy or has rashes then I might look into his foods or yours if you're breastfeeding. Good Luck!

1 / 3