Booster Seat Reviews

I am looking for booster seat reviews like from consumer reports. We are needing to make our purchase next month. I thought we had a longer time but my son went through a major growth spurt. Thanks!

Isn't there a booster with a back and a 5 pt harness that can be removed and then use the cars seat belt when old enough? The carseat we have now is one of the convertible ones and the highest wt is 40# So does that mean I have to buy another carseat and then a booster down the road? My son is 3

I don't have a link to consumer reports, but my son went from his convertible seat to a booster seat with a five-point harness when he was two. The height and weight limits on his convertible seat overlapped quite a bit with his booster seat, which was good, because baby brother needed the convertible seat a little before the older one grew completely out of his convertible seat (he changed at age 2--he's on the tall side).
When he got tall enough (about three months ago, two months shy of his 4th birthday) that his shoulders were level with to top straps of the booster seat's five-point harness, I took the harness out completely and we've been buckling him in with the shoulder seat belt. It has seat-belt paths that keep the shoulder strap from hitting him too hight. So now, it's just a high-backed booster (like the $20 ones at WalMart).
Baby brother is getting close to being too big for the convertible seat, so I'll have to buy the 4 year old a new, plain high-backed booster, and put the harness back in the other one. It's nice to have the car seats be so flexible!

There is a book called Toddler Bargains that is amazing. It tells you about all sorts of products and rates them for you.They also have one called baby bargains which really helped me when I had my first. It rates car seats, cribs, bottles, diapers, formula, etc.

Hi S. - going through the same thing with my kids now. Here is a link on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. The title of the article is "Parents- Not sure which car seat to choose? 2008 Car Seat Ease of Use Ratings"

best of luck in your search!

The link to the article is listed below. You can copy/paste it into your browser if the link doesn't show up here:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/portal/site/nhtsa/template.MAXIMIZE/...

I'm not sure how to steer you to the article but I can recommend a seat. We purchased a Safeguard Go booster seat. It has a back and a 5 point harness. The booster seat is latch compatible so it secures to the seat and has a top tether strap. It also folds up into a bag for travel. It was recommended as one of two seats with a 5 point harness able to hold a child over 40 pounds in an accident. (The only other seat was the Britax Marathon.) It's not cheap but we LOVE it! Check out their website. We purchased it from Amazon.

Most of the forward facing car seats say you can remove the harness and then use as a booster. But we found that it just didn't work w/our kids. We have thin children and the seatbelt didn't set against them until the bottom of their ribs - meaning it wouldn't pull against the sternum in a crash and that's where it's supposed to put the pressure. so, we ended up buying multiple seats....an infant seat, a convertible, a forward facing, and then a booster. At least we've been able to pass them down to the 2nd kid! Just be aware of the issue with the seatbelts when you buy a forward facing seat and the good news is, the older they get, they cheaper the seats get! The boosters we bought last summer for my oldest were only $35-40 and the seatbelt sits nice and flat against him from shoulder to the end of his ribs. The other thing to look at on forward facing seats is how tall they'll take your child - we have a 4 1/2 year old who is only 31 pounds but almost 42-inches - there's only a couple of models that you can continue to use the harness on as they get taller than this but I don't want to take her out of the 5-point harness until she weighs more.

I just bought 2 of the Safety 1st Alpha Omega car seats. Here is the link where they are CHEAP online: http://www.albeebaby.com/cosco-omega-elite-mrr.html
I have a 15 month old and a 3 1/2 year old and these seats are PERFECT. They go from 5 lbs to 100 lbs! Rear facing to forward facing, from a 5 point harness to a regular seatbelt adjustable! Also you can recline the seats in the forward facing position to give your toddler a nap without his head hanging forward funny! Good luck!

We had a five-point car seat and it turned into a regular booster that used the car's seat belt. I think it was from Graco. I'm not sure. It went up to sixty or more pounds. My kids were small and my oldest road in it until he was almost 8. It worked really well. It was also fairly cheap. Good Luck!!!

I love the britax. My son who is 3 is using the regent. He can stay in this till he is 80 lbs! He can stay in a 5 point harness till he is 80 lbs! We just got another one for my 1 year old the roundabout, he can stay in it till he is 65 lbs!
We tried to put my 3 year old in our older daughter's booster but he climbed out of the seat belt the first time we tried to drive somewhere. So there we are driving down the road with my son walking around the cargo area of our SUV....not exactly what I had in mind when I strapped him into the booster seat. I am all for the 5 pint harness, plus the britax is very somfortable and easy to clean.
one word of caution however, they are big seats. If you have to get three kids in a sedan, you will definately not be able to ust the regent, the roundabout is the samy footprint as other seats.
www.britaxusa.com
search for them on amazon, I just bot my roundabout at $50 off with no shipping!

1 / 3