Bleed in Uterus/Nearly 8 Weeks Pregnant and Put on Restrictions-- Any Advice?

I am about 8 weeks pregnant. When I was 6 weeks and 5 days, I had my first office visit and ultrasound. They saw a perfect little thing in there wtih the heart just beating away. However, when I had my doc appointment following the ultrasound, he mentioned that I have a 1 cm x 3 cm "blood spot" in my uterus by the baby and need to stop all my exercising (running, aerobics, swimming and weight lifting), gave me lifting restrictions (like not lifting my kids who are 23 mos and 3 yrs old) and pelvic rest (no sex). The doctor did not say it was a subchorionic hematoma but from all the stuff on the internet, it MUST BE. I have a follow-up ultrasound scheduled when I am 8 weeks and 5 days (2 weeks after the first) and we are supposed to hope it has "healed" itself.??

Has anyone had a similar experience? Outcomes - good or bad welcome. I have had NO external bleeding or spotting at all. I just don't know how I can be happy with 7 more months of restrictions if the thing doesn't heal. Advice? Not exercising has me pretty down and the running was the only thing helping with my nausea at all so now I am pretty sick feeling all day long.

Thanks mommies!
A.

I had a 4 cm subchorionic hemorrhage with my son. I started bleeding at 5 1/2 weeks. I had previously had 3 miscarriages (for a different reason), so that's what I expected when I got the u/s, but instead saw a little flashing blob :) I was put on bedrest for the next 5 weeks. I could get up to showe, go to the bathroom, and go to dr. appt.s After the first 2 weeks, I was allowed to walk around the house. Mine eventually healed by 16 weeks (when I had an amnio). They did monitor me closely, with an ultrasound weekly until 12 weeks. Then I had ultrasounds about every 2-3 weeks after that. There isn't much you can do except taking it easy. I couldn't exercise the entire pregnancy, which was quite frustrating, but well worth it in the end. My son was born very healthy at 40 weeks and is now a very happy, very busy 2 year old.

I can tell you that my mom had a subchorionic bleed throughout her pregnancy with my younger brother and carried him past 40 weeks (he is as normal as baby brothers go...lol). She wasn't really given any restrictions (32 years ago). In fact she was several months along before she even suspected that she was pregnant since her periods had always been irregular.

Sometimes a spot is just a spot. An ultrasound isn't a window into the ultrasound...it is just an echoed image. Chances are that your restrictions won't continue for too long...but I know there is little, besides modified activity, that they can do to help preserve a pregnancy at this stage.

I know it isn't ideal, but I'd follow directions at least until they've decided what the problem is.

Good luck. I know it is hard not to worry!

Yes, when the doctor refers to a "blood spot", he is referring to a subchorionic hematoma. I also had one on my ultrasound at 10 weeks. I did restrict my activity, but did not go crazy with it. I tried to take it easy and it did heal itself with no issue. It took a few more ultrasounds for it to heal, but with each one it got smaller. I had no spotting at all. Do what's best for the baby and take it easy. You don't want to end up on complete bed rest. Good luck! I am sure you will be just fine!! (I also had what they refer to as an invisible twin. A second sac, with nothing in it. It also "healed itself" with time. Try to stay calm and enjoy the pregnancy as much as you can!)

I had one and continued working per my doctor's orders, but she recommended laying down over my lunch hour with feet elevated (luckily I worked in a dental office so I could lay down in the chair). My doctor said that thy are pretty common. By 12 weeks mine was gone and I have a beautiful 2 year old daughter! Blessings!

1 / 3