Birthday Party - No Parents Please

Last year we had an at home birthday party for my daughter who turned 7. Most of the parents dropped their kids but one couple stayed (husband and wife) and a father. We were new to most of these people so I thought maybe they just didn't know us, etc. We're having another party this year but my daughter only wants to invite 2 friends over. I really do not want these parents to stay as I'd like to be able to concentrate on the party rather than entertaining the parents. Any suggestions how I could discourage parents from staying? When the parents were at our house last year I felt VERY awkward just leaving them and felt required to socialize with them and I felt torn - do I make these parents feel at home or focus on the kids. I didn't like feeling as if I couldn't entertain the kids. Because our house is small the kids were working on a project in a area apart from the house and the parents stayed in our house.

Thank you for all the responses.

I would treat it as if it's a favor to them. Who wouldn't want to be able to drop their kid off and get some errands or peace and quiet while their child is at a party. I only stay if it's at a public place. Maybe say something, feel free to drop her off at ____ and pick her up at ____. I hope you'll be able to get some shopping done!

You could put on the invitation,"drop off time is....." Pick up at.....

Also, if they do want to stay, because some people feel awkward about leaving their child either, they dont know you yet or they feel like they're dumping the kid without supervising.... I wouldnt worry about the parents....a bowl of chips and a bottled water is all you should worry about with parents....they either can sit and munch alone or put them to work, by asking if they'd like to help with something....

LG

our neighbor has "no parent" parties for both of her kids. At first, it was a little strange, but she's very distinct in her invitations:
"Kids may be dropped off at noon and picked up at 2pm"

She has both sets of grandparents there, and we've never been offended. She didn't have to explain - it's just how she prefers to do it so she doesn't have to feed and entertain parents and kids. She takes pictures and e-mails them afterwards.

I think being upfront and direct is the best policy - as well as being consistent.

Not sure I'd do it myself at my kids ages (3 and younger), but more power to those brave enough to do it.

I love the idea of noting "This is a drop-off party due to lack of space" as mentioned below. The parents who are too nervous about dropping off their grade schoolers can just opt not to do it, but I think you'll find most parents are thrilled! I know I'm excited if I don't have to stay. With two kids -- oldest in first grade -- I've been to so many kid parties over the years and it's wonderful now that I can just drop off our oldest and not have to stay. Most grade school parties are this way, so I bet it's not an issue for the vast majority of parents.

Since it's only 2 kids, how about a sleepover?

I agree with most everyone else. If you know them well enough, it should be easy to say drop the kids off. If you don't know them well enough to say this to them, then as a parent I probably would not feel comfortable dropping my child off with you and would be a little concerned at your insistence that I don't stay.

if my child was invited to a party that said no parents needless to say unless i knew the parents super good i wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my child at someones home. so my child wouldn't be going to the party!!! with this day in age with preverts and such-sorry!!!!!!!

i had the exact opposite problem last year. i had a birthday party for my daughter, and only 1 parent bothered to stay. i personally was very uncomfortable when these much older children were acting up and there was no parents there to correct them, especially since seeings that one of these kids parents i had never even MET. i personally would not drop my child off a birthday party where parents werent allowed. that would just make me extremely uncomfortable. if you are wanting to do something like that, then i would put on the invitation something along the lines of "________'s birthday party/parents night out! drop the kids off to party with my daughter and you catch a special night out!" parents might be more receptive or appreciative that way.

You've gotta go along with what the other parents feel comfortable doing. You can't dictate whether they can stay or not. When I have stayed, it's usually to give the mom a hand. I certainly don't feel the need to be "entertained"! Point out the snacks & drinks & tell them to help themselves then forget that they're there.

1 / 3