Birthday "Favors" for 13 Year Olds.......

Hi all,

My daughter will be 13 in a few weeks, and we are having a small party where she is giong to advite a few boys as well as girls. They are going to eat pizza and desert, and watch a movie most likely. The boys will leave by 10pm, and the girls will be spending the night. My daughter wants to give out "favor" bags to everyone even the boys. Besides candy, what sorts of "party favors" will boys and girls this age like? I am not looking to spend an enormous amount of $$, but want to put a few things in there. I would have thought that 13 was a little old for "favor bags", but she says it is cool and not a big deal. I am just the mom ;), what do I know right!? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

hello, I agree with the odd shaped candy and pencils/erasers I worked in an after school program and they all liked that stuff. I wanted to also suggest key chains, because they probably all are getting house keys by now....and if you have a local skating rink putting in a little gift card for there, here it's only $2 to skate so that wouldn't be too expensive and depending on how many you buy they may even cut you a deal. I've also seen fake lotto tickets that usually provide some fun before they realize they're fake! sounds like it'll be a fun party!

It seems like every kid has an Ipod or mp3 player of some sort now. Maybe consider an ITunes or Rhapsody gift certificate. I know you can get them in denominations as little as $1. Most songs are 99 cents, so a $1 gift could be used for one free song.

we have several 13y.o.s in our family, including our son. I also have an older son who's 22. Sooooo, these are some of the things that they all have enjoyed: fun candy like Pixie sticks, blow pops, strange shaped gummies, foam discs (the old flying saucers), anything mega sour, wax bottles, etc. The weirder the better...anything for a conversation starter!

They also like funky pens....no pencils. Funky erasers, mini Sharpies (if you're brave & they're very well-behaved (we've had some really wild experiences with permanent markers, to the other parents' dismay), old-style glider airplanes (Ben Franklin, Michaels, Cracker Barrel), puzzle thingies??...seriously those little activity puzzles where you have to move the ball around...they think they're a riot! Oh, & our kids still have a BLAST with noisemakers! Especially when done thru the nose...I've even seen 3 done at one time-one in each nostril & one in the mouth. (We have some really warped kids in our family!)

Anyway, if this is your 1st teenager co-ed party, be prepared for the gross & inappropriate. The boys try very hard to gross out the girls, & the girls can be mean. BUT it's a BLAST to watch, a blast to plan, .....& I did Halloween parties for my oldest son until H.S. & his friends still talk about the parties!
For my younger son, his friends...the girls included....are still asking for parties, party games, & they all want to be invited. It's heartwarming to have a girl come up to me at a school function & have her ask to be invited! & for my younger son, he's been having Halloween parties for the past 6 years. They seem to be getting bigger & more involved! Good luck & be sure to chaperone!

Feel free to contact me if you need game ideas!

You've gotten some really great ideas here!

There are a few things that come to mind. Crybaby gum (super sour), Warheads (sour, hot, bitter... they think it's fun!), fake tattoos, the popper "firecrackers" that they can just throw on the ground and they pop. It also might be a good idea to throw in a few things that they might not have thought about for a while: slinkys, bubbles, little coloring books. The teens I know really gravitate towards them and have a fun time reliving their not-so-long-ago childhood.

My 13 yo thinks silly string and silly putty are fun, if you can handle the mess.

What about a movie ticket (don't know where you're from, but) Springfield MO has a "dollar" (?) theater and tickets are $2.50 (yeah I don't get it either...lol). You could do that with a bag of microwave popcorn, some candy and a soda. Or even if you have to pay for a full priced movie ticket you could probably still get by with about $10 per kid...??? Maybe McDonals gift certificates and some junk food... Or just a bag of candy makes kids happy. Or if you're health conscious... go for trail mix and a bottle of water...??? Have fun.

have you daughter put together a playlist to burn to cds to hand out at the party, or possibly as invitations, the kids would enjoy it i'm sure and you could make fun cd covers to commemorate the occasion

Free ice cream vouchers are always fun. Usually McDonald's sells them for a good price.

1 / 3