Bike Trailor or Bike Seat Attached to Bike for 1 Year Old?

I am unsure if a trailor pulled behind my bike or a seat that attaches to the back of the bike would be the best for my 1 year old this summer? A seat would be easier to bring places, but I have this fear of tipping the bike and her getting really injured. I would guess that a bike helmet would be needed for the seat but am unsure if they even make helmets for toddlers. I think she would really enjoy a trailor, but yet it would be a pain to transport. I would love to hear your thoughts! Thanks!

Well first we have the trailer and the seat attached and also a tag-a-long. The tag-a-long is for a child at least 3 yrs.
I would purchase the trailer. The trailer is much more versatile then the seat connected to the bike. The trailer comes with a rain guard which I have used on more than one occasion. My trailer is for two children.
We are avid bikers and even though my youngest is now 4 yrs we still use the trailer ( or the tag-a-long)

We have both a double Burley bike trailer and an iBert. I'm seeing more and more iBerts, and I saw that REI is selling them now. I'm not surprised that only one person suggested it because they're not that common, YET. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the iBert. Seriously. I can't say enough awesome stuff about it. I think it's hands down one of the best purchases we ever made. Our youngest son, 2.5 yrs. old, feels the same way. This is his second summer riding on it. He doesn't like riding in the Burley because he can't see nearly as well as on the iBert. The weight limit on the iBert is 40 pounds. (My son weighs 38.5.) Very few people or "experts" as some other people have posted, know about the iBert. But it's all over Europe and Australia. It's safe because it's on the front of the bike, and not the back; it's easier to balance that way. You only have to be a year old to ride it. But, I will say, the Burley is nice for all the reasons others have stated: you can bring the diaper bag, snacks, etc. with you in the trailer. How we ride now is my husband takes our two oldest on the iBert and the tag-along, on his bike. I use the Burley with our youngest. In the end, I recommend them both. But, the iBert is the best if you're only purchasing one of them. (We use helmets on all our kids, all the time, btw.) Good luck and happy biking!

When my daughter was young I used a trailer and she loved riding in it. The best part was it had a removable wheel for the front so the trailer could be turned into a very comfortable stroller too. That way we could bike to the store, zoo, park and still have a stroller. The trailer also carried water and snacks for her. Not to mention it doubled as a grocery carrier when she was not with me.

Eventually we sold it at a garage sale.

I wasn't too crazy about the bike trailer and the bike seats behind me when I sit on the bike, but I did purchase the IBERT (http://www.ibertinc.com/) bike seat that positions the child in front of you between your arms. I got a helmet for my little guy and he loved it! I got it for him when he was about 8 months old - depends on how big your child is, but thinking at 1 year old, it should be fine. I purchased mine off of Amazon (cheaper than actual ibert website). My little guy is 19 months old and it's still used. Really easy to install - took me 15 minutes and if you purchase a second metal thing for your significant other's bike, the switching of seats is like 5 minutes. Best thing I bought!!! I'm a petite person, so if you have long legs you might feel like your biking bow-legged, but w/Amazon, you can always return it. Alternative options would be a front seat at Walmart or go to this site (http://www.onestepahead.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId...) . If you get this seat, I'd purchase the clear screen. Otherwise, attaching a binky will work so the child doesn't eat bugs. Mine would hoot, holler, & sing on the bike and was afraid a bug or two would get in his mouth, lol! Got the helmet at Walmart.

The trailers are not harder to transport and they are much easier to balance. We loved ours and it was actually more reasonable at that age because we could go farther with the extra room to carry a diaper bag and snacks. In fact my daughter used to have toys and books in there too and would make a big deal about which stuffed animal got to come for a ride with us. She didn't have to sit completely still in order not to tip the bike so it was much more relaxed for all of us. Summer was a lot of fun with the ability to ride bike and stop anywhere to have a picnic or go shopping and have room for a few bags.

We purchased the trailor for our son last summer when he was 14months old. We paid about $130 for it from Target. Can't remember the brand. He definitely wore a toddler helmet every time as well. Was a little big on him last year, but should fit him just fine this year. We thought the trailor was best and safest. Also, it has a cover on it so it shades him from the sun when you ride for a longer period of time. He loved it last year... had his juice cup next to him and looked at the scenery. We haven't used it this year yet, but intend very soon!

I went with the seat because it made me nervous to have my daughter behind the bike and low down--I was more worried she would get hit. I'm sure there are safety trade-offs with either. Riding a bike carries some risk, of course. I think you should use a helmet with either option though.

We love the Burley we have. We have a lot of friends in the bike industry that won't even sell the seats for safety reasons. Burleys are more expensive though you can find them on Craigslist used (make sure they have not been in an accident) but there are other brands of trailers that are cheaper. Best of luck!
They DO make helmets and we use it all of the time - check out Penn Cycle or Erik's.

1 / 3