Best Way to Clean Sneakers?

Hi everyone,
Yesterday we went to a pumpkin patch to pick a pumpkin for Halloween. It was lots of fun, but it was very, very muddy there and now our sneakers are all filthy (of course all 3 of us have WHITE sneakers! LOL). Some mud even got inside my daughters' sneakers somehow... I was wondering what the best way to clean them is? Can you put sneakers in a washing machine!? LOL. I thought once the dirt would dry it would come off easily, but no such luck :o( Thanks for any tips you may have!!

Hey everyone, sorry took so long to reply.
Thanks to everyone for the tips!
A special thanks to those who reminded me what bleach does to sneakers! I had actually considered that until some of you said not to use bleach - then I remembered what happened last time I did that a few years ago- yellow sneakers!!! lol I guess I don't learn :p
I ended up using the magic eraser - worked wonderfully! And I threw my daughters in the wash with towels since they were stained a bit on the inside (not that it matters all that much - but they ARE new so it's nice to have them LOOKING new, ya know...hehe)
Thanks again!!!

Depends on what kind of material it is made of, whether you can toss it in the washer. And if you do do this, maybe put it in a "lingerie" mesh bag first. **OH! But do NOT throw it in the dryer... dry it outside in the sun.

Try the "Mr. Clean- Magic Eraser." You can get it from any grocery store in the cleaning supplies aisle. This thing works on mostly anything, even marks on walls and carpets.

Or, try a toothbrush and literally scrub it off. Try apply a spray cleaner... or "upholstery" or "carpet" type cleaning sprays, and then let it sit, then use a brush to clean it off. But don't use anything with "clorox" in it or you will get "bleached" spots.

Or, try the kind of stain cleaning sprays for babies... the kind that removes vomit and poopoo and etc. There are enzymes in it that is supposed to remove blood, grass, mud etc.

Susan

My favorite shoe cleaner is a diaper wipe. They really are terrific at making the shoes look newer. I've diaper wiped and used the clothes washer depending on time and how dirty the shoes were. Good Luck.

Even as runner for many years, I spent big bucks on shoes. I didn't like wearing them filthy dirty, so I would use spray and wash or the like and wash them in COLD water. I never put them in dryer. They never shrank and it never ruined any of my shoes.

Susan

Use Colgate Toothpaste and scrub the dirt off with an old toothbrush. But use the white paste, not a colored gel one. And avoid the color on the tennis shoes, it'll bleach it. But works great on the white shoes. Just use a wet washcloth to wipe when done.

Throw them in the washer!

Try Nail Polish remover (after you get the dirt off). It works great at getting shoes back to white, but be careful not to use it on any color other than white.

Take them outside and spray them with a hose until the mud comes off. Put them in the washing machine after that (if they're canvas.) Good luck. :)

Soak
Send through the washing machine with soap
Bleach in washing machine
Neutralize bleach with vinegar
Rinse in washing machine
Dry in front of the refrigerator (motor's heat)
Do not put in dryer (degrates adhesive)

Another (old and effective) way: rinse in bucket with warm water and change water every 2-3 hours. Most mud will be gone by now. Then using any old brush, just scrub to keep cleaning them off. Remove from water and sit outside but not under direct sun. Voila'!

1 / 3