Best Tasting Store Bought Cake Mix for Cupcakes??

Hi ladies. I am making cupcakes for my son' birthday and I am planning to buy the boxed cake mix and go from there. As you can tell, I am netiher a baker, nor that creative. Soooo, that's where you come in! Which brand of cake mix is the best? And do you suggest a store bought frosting or do you have an easy recipe for frosting? Thanks so much!

Easy Cream cheese frosting recipe...
4 ounces un salted butter
4 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar.
Let butter and cream cheese soften, mix together with vanilla extract, and slowly add powdered sugar. You can add as little or as much as you like...for us we don't use the whole 2 cups..it ends up being sweet.

To make a box of (chocolate only) cake mix moist try replacing the oil with 1 cup real mayo (add the regular amount of eggs and water). It sounds completely gross but I promise you you don't taste it and it makes the cake so moist.

Doesn't really matter the brand name. But I found that most people (whether they love chocolate, white, or yellow cake) LOVE the 'Butter Recipe'. I buy whatever is on sale for $1 or under.

People rave over my chocolate cake. It is so funny because it is from a box:) I use Betty Crocker Devils food and Betty Crocker Milk Chocolate frosting. It is so funny and kind of embarasing because people are always asking for my recipe! Have a great party!

Duncan Hines. I add a cup each of sour cream, sugar, and flour and a small packet of instant pudding mix (same flavor as the cake) and it makes it super yummy. I always get compliments at the parties and people asking where I get it.

Recipe for icing - stick of salted butter, stick of unsalted, cup of shortening, 2lbs powdered sugar, 5-6 tablespoons cold milk (more if you want to change the consistency). Yum!! Tough to clean though - you'll need to wash all your utensils in really hot water. I usually let mine soak while I clean up the rest of the kitchen.

I use any cake mix + a box of instant pudding. Moist, but doens't rise very high so fill the cups a little more than you normally would.
Since he's a boy, I'm trying to think of ideas to make it fun for him. You could do dirt cupcakes with crushed oreos and gummy worms or you could add green or blue food color to white icing and make bright colored cupcakes. Top with a little action figure, a fake hotwheel, a lego block or some other kind of little doodad.

Hi, Check out the book (books) 'The Cake Mix Doctor', and 'The Cake Mix Doctor Returns', by Anne Byrn. They are probably at the library. She takes box mixes and substitutes key mix ins to make fantastic cakes that are super easy to put together. In the second book, there is an apple cider cake that is just flippin' amazing. Some great frosting recipies in there too. It's all the info you'll need to have fun while gaining weight!!!

Bake on !

Easy Cream cheese frosting recipe...
4 ounces un salted butter
4 ounces cream cheese
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups powdered sugar.

Duncan Heinz Devils Food cake mix
Any kind of frosting -- fudge is yummy and white is great and vanilla is delicious and cream cheese is okay, too.
I always did a "decorate your own cupcake" instead of a full cake.
The kids loved it and it was easier for me.
Enjoy!
LBC

I always use Duncan Hines. It seems to always come out best and stay moist longer with a richer taste. Go to allrecipes.com and myrecipes.com for tons of easy, homemade frosting ideas. Canned frosting tastes canned -there's no disguising it! There are some wonderful cupcake frosting recipes at myrecipes.com -the recipe site for Southern Living, Cooking Light, Coastal Living, etc. For birthday cupcakes, you're probably going to want a type of buttercream frosting -and they're very easy. Hand mixer, powdered sugar, soft butter and whatever flavoring agent is called for.

Hi Mamma P. In my opinion the best brand of cake mixes is Duncan Hines.As far as the store bought frosting they basically all taste the same.

1 / 3