Best Sling for Breastfeeding

Hello Moms, I am wondering if any of you can recommend a sling that worked well for breastfeeding. I have heard many moms say that they are able to nurse while baby is in the sling, but I could never get the hang of it! I breastfed my daughter who is now almost 2, and am planning on breastfeeding baby #2 when she arrives shortly. I used a sling (forget what brand) and the baby bjorn, but was never able to align everything the right way to make it work! Any advice is much appreciated. Thanks!

Thank you so much for all of your great advice! I am looking into a couple of different ones that you recommended, and we'll see how it goes! A couple of you mentioned that you had difficulty with BFing in a sling also, perhaps because you are small chested :) I think this was part of my problem as well... I also had trouble getting the hang of breastfeeding in bed for this same reason! :) Oh well, can't change that part of the problem!! Thanks again for all your help and advice.

I have two boys, ages 8 1/2 and 5 years old. I've breastfeed both until they were 2 1/2 years old. I used the maya wrap to breastfeed both in public. The maya wrap has a lot of excess materials. The hand that i hold the baby's head with I placed in side the wrap and adjust the rest of the fabric to cover the baby.

Good luck and if you have any question don't hesitate to write back.

best of luck,

bc

If you are located near west springfield.. I have one for sale on craigslist that would be perfect..
clean, machine washable, smoke free home. .

It's a Sling Ezee.. I believe.

try the ergo carrier - i had no problem breastfeeding with it, and i can still use the carrier with my 21 month old daughter. the ergo is much better for the mommy's back, and so comfortable for the baby. so much better than the bjorn or the hotsling i used.
good luck!

best of luck,

bc

I had a hard time finding a great sling as well, and being the frugal mom that I am, I decided to make my own. The Maya wrap is a great sling, and the one that I made is very similar. The added bonus to making your own is that you get to pick the fabric yourself and size it to what you need. It was really easy to make, even if you don't sew. I went and bought a couple of yards of fabric at a fabric store, and got a ring that looks like a "no" symbol at a marine supply store of all places! You could also use two larger metal rings, both work well for adjusting the sling. (Think about making an extra-long table runner.) I used it all the time- I could carry my daughter comfortably, and discretely nurse as well. Good luck!

the Maya wrap (style with the ring) comes with a DVD showing you how to nurse with your baby in the sling. I never had the chance to try it because my baby hated all slings/carriers so I don't have any firsthand advice other than to say that the DVD was user-friendly.

Yuck...don't try to nurse in a Bjorn (I think a sadist designed the Bjorn, i couldn't wear one for more than 10 minutes without my back hurting so bad I could cry).

I think for nursing a newborn a ringsling is your absolute best bet because it's so versatile. The Maya wrap is lovely!

Any "ring Sling" works best in my opinion. They are fully adjustable and fit any position. I used the Over the Shoulder Baby Holder exclusively for the first six or so months. It is padded and very cozy for a newborn. Now I use the Babyland sling, which I LOVE (also a ring sling). It has that extra fabric to drape over the babe when you are nursing in public (I nurse everywhere in this sling, nobody can tell I'm nursing!). I recommend both slings (I still use both). I have gotten to the point that I can do just about anything with my nine-month-old in the sling AND nurse whenever she needs to, anywhere...It is truly a life saver. Good Luck with #2!!

When choosing a sling you need to try them out to see what is best for you and your baby. Since you're in Mansfield you could go to Isis Maternity in Newton. The people who work there are very good at explaining and demonstrating the benefits of your choices. What is good for one mom & baby may not work for another.

Try www.bostonbabywearers.com
You can try them on, 'rent' one for a month for a refundable deposit, try a few ring slings, then the babe will come, try it out, return it the next month at a meeting or via mail, try other ones out... love them!

1 / 3