Baby Shampoo for Dry Scalp

Hi!
Ever since the weather turned cold, my 2 month old has had a super dry and flaky scalp. We currently use Aveeno Baby (the one with oatmeal) shampoo. It is obviously not moisturizing enough for winter.
What is the best baby shampoo for a dry scalp?

Humidify the house. My daughter gets bad bloody noses in the winter from the dryness. The humidifier solves most of that problem.

I'd rule out cradle cap first. This is an age where you can have trouble with it. Jojoba oil is a great moisturizer and very similar to the natural oils your skin makes. I used it a lot on my children when they were babies. If you apply a little at night, it will usually absorb by morning without that "greasy" look. (if it doesn't, just wash the baby's hair) You can find it at your local health food store.

Are you sure it is not cradle cap? We just used regular baby shampoo from J&J. Maybe you could try massaging some baby oil on his scalp. It might make his hair greasy, but at least his scalp would not be so dry. If it is cradle cap, what they recommend for that is washing the hair every day. It will eventually go away.

I only wash my baby's hair once a week with cetaphil (she doesn't have a lot of hair on top and just maybe inch long curls in back) and otherwise just a water and washcloth. I also put a little baby lotion on it or now that winter's here baby oil. My older daughter had cradle cap and I just used baby oil and a little brush for a few days and that got get rid of it.

I absolutely LOVE california baby's line of products. We use the CA baby shampoo and bodywash for our newborn and I think it works great, plus it's all natural! It also says it is for babies with cradle cap, eczema, or extremely dry skin.

How often are you washing your baby with soap/shampoo?

I saw a show on "The Doctors" that said people are washing their babies way too much. They stated that babies should only be washed with soap/shampoo once a week. You can give them baths more often but only use water.

Why not just treat the dry scalp with a little creamy baby oil... it'll help with the drynessa nd give her that "baby" smell.... ahhhhhh... love the baby oil smell! lol

My daughter has that and we use Head and Shoulders once a week and then the rest of the time we use Suave kids shampoo with no dyes or fragrance. It seems to work. That is what your doctor told us to do. You just have to be very careful not to get the head and shoulders in his/her eyes.

Sounds like cradle cap to me! My son had it around the same age. A few days of using J&J baby oil, and it was gone. Also, like other posters have said, only shampoo your baby's hair once a week. Good luck!

1 / 3