Anyone Know How to Get Tile Grout Clean?

I have a big beautiful kitchen with light tile floors. The only problem is the grout. The tile is light and pretty but the grout is getting dark and grungy. Does anyone have any cleaning tips? I mop often but the grout is getting grosser over time. I am trying to avoid getting on my hands and knees with a toothbrush if possible. I have a newborn so my energy level is still low...

So far I've tried the vinegar and the magic eraser. Both seem to work but the magic eraser is easier, quicker, and more effective. I haven't done my entire floor yet because I want to try a few more of the tips first to find the best way. Thanks and keep the ideas coming!

Well, this does involve a bit of hands and knees scrubbing, but it works. If you buy an electric scrub brush (a small round one, that rotates around in a circle ---I think it is called the Sonic Scrubber or something like that) it eliminates some of the scrubbing and works really well. (You can buy it at Target or Walmart) Use a gel bleach product...clorox or comet both make them. Squeeze it on the grout, a small section at a time, let it sit a few minutes, and then scrub with the electric brush. Then you have to rinse with clean water. It's a lot of work, but really does the job. I usually only do this type of scrubbing once a year.

You can buy a specialized angled grout brush from home depot then attach to a painters pole or other pole with an end that allows attachments. No getting down on you hands and knees. Srapy grout with cleaner like simple green let it sit a minute and then scrub with angled brush. I then get a wet terry rag and mop up excess cleaner putting rag over the same grout brush. You won't think you are having much effect but when the grout dries it will be noticeably cleaner. I did half my grout while 9 months pregnant and ran out of steam, you can totally tell the bit I cleaned versus the bit I didn't!

I had a tile person tell me the best thing for tile is vinegar, and then, DON'T seal it. You can always get the grout clean with the vinegar, but once its sealed, it will get patchy discoloration ( I think it is the actual sealer rubbing away in some areas and not others) and you can't get the discoloration out.

Hi E.!

Apparently, a can of Coke is able to remove grout stains, grease, and much more....Yikes!

I haven't tried it yet, but my girlfriend did........she put a can of Coke in her toilet, let it sit for an hour, then flushed it clean without a single scrub!

Anyway, I'm trying it tomorrow after church :o)

:o) N.

I just cleaned mine a few months ago. I used a steam cleaner with the metal brush attachment and lots of rags to clean up with. No chemicals and I didn't even know our grout could get that clean. I have two small children, so I had to do the grout over the course of a week since I never had a big enough chunk of time to get the whole thing done at once. Unfortunately, I bought the sealer but never applied it, so now I need to redo it and then seal it so it will stay clean. It's not nearly as bad as it was, but I already see spots that are starting to get gross. (the area under the table where my kids sit to eat 3 meals a day plus snacks. I mop the floor all the time, but it just doesn't get the grout clean. I am hoping once I seal it that it will stay cleaner longer. I liked the fact that I didn't have to use any toxic cleaners though, the steam worked great. I wasn't sure if I would use the steamer for anything else, but it works great in the bathroom and around the kitchen sink too.

Hi. We live in a white mobile home and my husband mixes up a batch of Oxy Clean and uses it to wash the outside, the white lattace we have up as well as the floor in the kitchen and it does a fabulous job. You might have to be down scrubbing with a big brush or maybe you can find some sort of a scrubber on a pole... but I think you will find this will do the trick. I have also heard from commercials the Stanley Steamer will clean your floors.

Have a pro come out - like Stanley Steemer. The steam won't be bad for the baby to breathe like bleach would, and it will still disinfect your floors too. I bet you'll find a coupon in your Sunday paper or all of those fliers that choke up the mail on Tuesdays & Thursdays.
Maybe you could dip into your Christmas fund or have hubby & 10 yr. old give it to you for a belated Mother's Day gift.
Personally, I'd rather have a cleaning lady come over than a $150 bunch of roses on Valentine's Day - maybe I'm wierd.
You just had a baby - spoil yourself!!

E. the only way I know how to get grout clean is to use a light bleach/water solution. You can use a spray bottle so you just get the area you are working in currently. The bleach/water solution is very easy 1 capful to a gallon of bleach. Once the floor dries its totally safe for the kids to be on and its been disinfected all in one. Don't bother buying special cleaners when in doubt use this solution it works on cleaning childrens hard toys since they love to put them in their mouths. I used to work in an infant/toddler daycare and this is what we did for toys use the solution but put it in a small bucket and put several toys in at a time and let set a few mins rinse and air dry again the toy is good as new and the children can put it back in their mouths without you worrying about the bleach. You can smell it but its no more than when local water facilties clorinate our water systems. Try this and let me know how it works for you I use this for my whole house to mop floors, clean Kitchen counters, clean the entire bathroom and you can use it on mold as well. With mold you might have to either use more solution or increase the bleach slightly. Hope this helps.
W. H in Sacramento

Hi E.. There's a product at Home Depot it's called Folex. It's in a spray bottle -- so you spray it on let it sit & you may have to scrub only if the dinge doesn't lift right away. My friend swears by this stuff.. she even gets really bad stains out of clothes with it. Also after cleaning the grout really well you can re-seal it.. Home Depot also has a grout sealer with a brush at the end so after the grout is dry you just paint this stuff on ..really easy, my husband did our laundry room in like 3 minutes... if you do it right you won't have to clean it like this again for a long time!! Good luck!

Hi E.! I have the same issue! I use the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. Works so good! You do have to get down on your knees, but it is worth it to see how fast the grout gets clean!

1 / 3