Allergy Medication for a 2 Year Old

I'm looking for a safe allergy medication for my 2 year old daughter. She's had a runny nose, sneezing and a cough for about a week. The discharge is clear and the rest of us in the house are also experiencing allergy symptoms, so I'm pretty safe in saying she doesn't have a cold. Plus, she's had no fever and doesn't act like she does when she's sick. We've alternated between Dimetapp and Benadryl to control her symptoms, but after a few days of only one or two doses a day, she has frequent light colored pasty bowel movements. There not quite as loose as diarrhea, but she goes from 2 bm's a day to as many as 5 in one day. I'm hoping that someone else has also experienced this and found an alternative treatment that controls the symptoms without all the stinky yucky poo!

Thanks for all the responses. My daughter's molars came in early, so we've already been through that and she did have similar symptoms then. I discontinued the allergy meds and her bm's went back to normal. I'm glad to know that some other mothers have had good experiences with Zyrtec and Claritin. We do use a humidifier in her room at night and I try to limit the use of any drugs. I'm planning to watch her for another day or two to see if I can notice a pattern in her symptoms. I'll also call our pediatrician to see if he thinks she would benefit from trying something like Zyrtec. Thanks again for all the help!

Hi A., I too have a daughter whose 7 now but was born with allergies like her Daddy. I tried Dimetapp, Benadryl and others i cant remember but the one thats working great for her is Flonase a single spray in each nostril daily for the first week does wonders for my daughter. Her Pedia. prescribed it to her and has been using it off and on since she was about 3 yrs old. And no stinky yucky poo!

I'm 45 yrs young and have a handsome 5yr old son and a gorgeous 7 yr old daughter.

They have claritin for children, it works really well. I use it for my 3 year old and my two year old. If that doen't help try benedryl for children that will definately take care of it. Try it and let me know how it goes.

My son has allergy's has been on Singulair since he was 24 months old. My daughter has been on Zyrtec since she was 4 months old. I took them both to an allergy specialist and the medicine works and has done wonders for them! Good Luck!!

Dear A.:

Here's a story for you. My grand daughter Gwenevere started being sick non-stop when she was about 4 months old. You know the story from there better than I do I'm sure, and it resulted in her having tubes put in when she was about 9 months old. While the severity of her discomfort eased for a bit, she continued getting "sick" and instead of the doctors thinking it was always a cold or flu, they began to say it might be allergies. The doctors then decided she had asthma. The poor baby was receiving wave after wave of antibiotics, and antihistimines and tylenol, and motrin. She was still getting up several times a night. The poor thing thought this was "normal."

During this time I became aware of NAET and began treating regarding some of my personal matters (please visit NAET.COM) and read the book "Say Good-Bye to Illness." I also bought for my son and dil the book "Say Good-bye to Children's Allergies." Last month Gwen was treated for her allergies to dust and animals. Guess what? No more mucous! And she is eating much more and sleeping longer at night. She is still allergic to a lot of other things, which are being treated one by one in an orderly fashion. Soon she will be allergy free! In the meantime, she feels SO much better.

There is a physician locator button on the website, or you may email me and I'll tell you who we use and love.

Best wishes,

Stop the medication for 48 hrs. Stop all milk products for 48 hrs. Give her pedilight or popcycles, clear juices like apple juice juicy juices etc. The stool may indicate she is trying to cut her molars and the other symptoms go along with that. IF she starts crying and whinning before each stool and it remains pasty in color take her to the doctor. She may have a telascopting of the small intestine into the large or a blockage which is not uncommon in children of that age. Don't panic but I would advise to take her to the Peditrician.
Good luck, Lea, Nurse

Dear A. ,
all these pills !?
Please consult a childrens-doctor who approaches holistic medicine! Mother Nature is waiting with open arms !

DEAR A.;
IN THE FIRST PLACE YOU NEED TO GO TO AND ALLERGIST
THAT WAY HE CAN ASSIST YOU IN FINDING OUT WHAT IT IS THAT SHE IS ALLERGIC TO. LOOKS LIKE THE WHOLE FAMILY HAS THIS PROBLEMS. SOMETIMES PEOPLE ARE ALLERGIC TO CERTAIN FOODS OR DUST,TREES,OR ANIMALS. SO FOR THAT REASON YOU MUST GO TO THE DOCTOR TO FIND OUT FOR SURE AND GET THE TREATMENT YOU ALL NEED.
GOOD LUCK SINCERELY ANNA LEGER

My son has been on both Claritin and Zyrtec. Zyrtec works better, but they are both safe for that age. And I didn't experience the yuck poop.

My doctor prescribed Zyrtec for my daughter. It's grape flavored and she loved it. She was on it for a few years in a row until she got a little older. Ask your doctor if that's right for you. It worked for my girl.

Go the the healthfood store and find some homeopathics allergy tablets for her, if you need help finding the correct ones, and there are many and they are specific, go to a practitioner for diagnosis. They work wonders!
Yours, E. H

I am a 44yr old mom with 2 children. My youngest has dealt with allergies since he was an infant.Doctors want to qiuckly put your child on allery medicine.Zyrtec is what they recomended. How coul I give a small infant Zyrtec! We have taken each day as it comes. Not saying we havent at times given him Zyrtec Benadryl and other medication. I just warn you that if at all possible try to limit these medications.Have you heard of a Netty pot? Google it. This has helped us greatly. My son is now 9yrs old and is able to use it on his own.Alergist will all tell you something different, none of them really know for sure.I have found that certain food is a huge factor.Good luck, just remember know one know your child better than you so go with your gut feeling.

1 / 3