Allergic to Baby?

I've had stress hives off and on (rarely) since 10 years old. I became higlhly allergic to dust mites, pollens, molds and animals with fur after the age of 18. I take alternating doses of zyrtec and claritin. Even with my 13 cats, this allergy med regime works 98% of the time.

Since the baby has come home (1.5 months, baby is 2 months), I've had hives spring up at east 2 times a week, if not more. It's mainly hives over and under my breasts, underarms, and lips would swell. The last few times, it was more widespread... crease at hips/thighs, face, scalp, arms and palms. The allergy meds do not work unless I take one of each at the same time and even then, it takes awhile to go away.

I don't use any new lotions for baby, using the same detergent... only thing is I give him a shower 2 times a week with the Johnson's Natural Baby shampoo. The episodes do not seem to follow the day I give him the shower.

I mentioned to his Pediatrician if she's ever known someone to be allergic to their baby's saliva, spit up, skin, etc... and she said no. So has any other Mom had a similar situation and ever find out what it was?

A new picture of Corrin and I are up on my profile, if any care to see my 'angel'. The picture he's wearing angel wings.

I will look into the post partum hives and change the baby shampoo. I've kept the same diet and we use fragrance/ brighteners/color free detergent.dish soap - so I doubt it's those. I did have some nasty heat rash during the pregnancy, but it's not been back since I gave birth. This hives issue didn't happen with my 1st child, so that's why I'm a bit confused why it's happening now.

As for the cats... I've had 3 of them for over 10 years, 3 of them for 6 years and the remaining 7 I've had for over a year and ALL 13 were present during my pregnancy. The cats are not in my home and have not been since I was 7 months pregnant - 12 are in a wonderful newly built (by my husband) covered back screened in porch. The one cat that continues to spray is outside. My cats are not the issue.

Getting rid of the cats, which I consider my furry children and in which I gave them my word of honor that I would care for them until their death, is not feasible. I take pet ownership VERY seriously. If the cats really are part of the problem to my hive situation... then I guess I'll have to live with it. Getting rid of my furry kids is not an option.

13 Cats??? Was that a typo? Sorry, I'm not a cat lover but it sounds to me (If that was not a typo) that you have more issues to deal with than just hives.

I have heard of allergies or reactions to other people (boyfriends/spouses) but not children (the company I work for does allergy testing). So sorry you are going through this.

Pamela:

I think it's the THIRTEEN CATS!!! If you are allergic to any animal with fur - you are deliberately putting yourself into a situation that will cause stress and other reactions...

You are NOT allergic to the baby - you are allergic to the CATS!! GET RID OF THE CATS!!!

I'd switch to your own shampoo, just to be safe (if you're worried about his eyes, just use swim goggles).

Allergies can disappear, appear, get stronger, or weaker following pregnancy or birth. If while you were in the NICU they weren't around, I'd suspect you either picked up a new one to something at home, or one of your old allergies has gotten stronger.

OR, that it might "just" be the stress of a new baby. Completely taking out the lack of sleep (HUGE stressor to your system), a baby's cry is the EXACT decibel level to CREATE stress in adult humans (it's the same tone/pitch torturers use). We're *wired* to stop babies from crying (and it's why even people who love kids go batty on planes with a baby crying). AND (you're going to hate this part, so lets hope it's not the source in your case) I have known 4 women who are HIGHLY allergic to their own breastmilk. Worse than you are describing... the specific proteins made them extremely ill in two cases, anaphalaxis in one, and caused blistering and skin degradation in the 4th. Some other women are only somewhat allergic to their breastmilk... either to the proteins or sugars... causing less life threatening but highly aggravating symptoms.

Sudden allergy-LIKE (or flu-LIKE) symptoms can also be an early warning sign of PPD (your body not responding well to hormone fluctuations). So just as a heads up, if things start going sideways.

So happy you guys are back home and doing (mostly) well!

I think Cheryl nailed it. 13 cats is beyond excessive!

It could be your hormones or just plain old stress. It doesn't have to be something enviornmental. Your own body does crazy things during and after pregnancy. And the stress of a new baby could make you break out as well especially if you are already prone to hives. But to answer your question, no I have never heard of anyone being allergic to their own baby.

I admire your devotion to your fids. I feel the same and would suffer much for mine. I hope you can work it out. Can you get allergy shots?

The stress and exhaustion of a new baby could have something to do with it. I get horrible ichy skin when I am tired an stressed and I got a horrible PUPPS (pregnancy related) rash at the end of my pregnancy and it took 2 weeks after delivery to heal. I survived on benedryl and cortizone cream (given to me in the hospital) but your doctor may give you something better. I hope you feel better soon--it can make you crazy to be itchy all the time.

When the hormones change it can cause us to become allergic to things we weren't before. I suggest using Prolief from Arbonne it will help those pregnancy hormones get back in balance. PM me for more info on hormone imbalance. Just because they say natural doesn't mean there isn't anything in there that you are allergic to. Most OTC products have added ingredients including mineral oil, animal products and preservatives. Hope you find relief soon.

1 / 3