All the Symptoms of Hypothyroidism, but "Normal"lab Values

I am so frustrated!! I have had symptoms of fatigue, joint pain, migraine, brain fog, insomnia, constipation, numerous sinus/yeast infections, following mono 10 years ago. After seeing numerous doctors, I was finally diagnosed with fibromyalgia. Had every lab test under the sun. Fast forward. I have had two children and been breastfeeding in last 4 years so I haven't tried any if the new fibro meds. Most recently I have been extremely fatigued, no energy. Legs, hips, joints hurt. Spine, neck, basically everything. Yes, I have tried chiropractor. Went to primary care bc feel like I have a lump in my throat when swallowing and several swollen lymph nodes. Dr. Said I have a swollen thyroid and a nodule. Ultrasound is this Thursday. I looked up symptoms of thyroid disease and literally could put a checkmark near 90% of the symptoms. Dry hair, hair falling out, dry skin, all the other things I mentioned. Problems is my lab values came back Within normal limits for tsh and t4. Vitamin d was low, so I'm supplementing. I guess I just really hoped it was my thyroid bc I refuse to believe I have to feel like this. I've tried exercising, massage, clean eating. So many things. I guess my question is, has anyone else had normal thyroid levels but suffered thyroid disease symptoms? From what I have read, most doctors won't treat you if ur levels are within their predetermined range , but some people talk about finding a doctor who treats your symptoms. I've seen so many doctors I'm losing hope. Help please!!

Yes, I had the same problem. Normal labs and all the symptoms of hypothyroidism for 5 years. They finally believed me when my nodules grew to the point of creating a goiter. It was only after arguing to see an endocrinologist that I discovered I had Hasimoto's Thyroiditis. My immune system attacked and killed my thyroid gland. I had to have a complete thyroidectomy and I take synthroid everyday.

Ask for a referral to Dr. Memon at Kansas City Internal Medicine. He is one of the best endocrinologists in Kansas City. Measuring the thyroid output is more art then science according to him. Just a little either way will send some people over the edge and everyone is different.

I had the same problem. The drugs made me more miserable, so my doctor took me off of them. I then tried the natural route with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. Now I am fine, just have to lose the last 10 pounds of the 25 I put on during the hypothyroidism deal. Also, if I ever had to take the medicine again, I would do a natural form, like Amourthroid.

I am going through this myself as I type. Have your doc draw a Reverse T3.
I can't remember off the top of my head how it fits in, but it is an indicator of Thyroid dysfunction when all other labs are 'normal'. Of course if your doc doesn't know to draw for it, he or she may not know what to do with the results.
Have them also check for adrenal dysfunction such as DHEA and Cortisol levels.
Message me for more info.

I've been hypothyroid for 18 years.
For a long time I was on synthroid and my TSH tested as the high end of normal.
But I still had some symptoms which would not go away.
Finally I talked with my doctor and told her the lower end of the normal range was as good a level as the higher end - I wanted to try adjusting my dosage to get me there.
I also wanted to try Armour Synthroid.
So we worked at finding an optimal dosage for me.
The Armour Thyroid helped so much - it turns out I do not convert T4 to T3 very well (synthroid is all T4).
And I feel my best when my numbers indicate that I am very slightly in the hyperthyroid range.
Not every doctor is going to want to work with you, and when I moved, it was hard finding a doctor who would even prescribe Armour Thyroid.
But it works best for me and I was not willing to go back to a medication that does not work well for me.
I finally found a new doctor who is very good with thyroid patients and we've been doing well for over 5 years.
Finding a doctor who is willing to work with you is so worth it.
Keep interviewing them till you find a good one.

I agree with Jennifer. See the endocrinologist.

Do you have a low normal body temperature? If so look up Wilson's syndrome information.

It was pretty much not believed back when he named it and started trying to bring it to the main stream of docs.

I have a low body temp, it's always 87.3-97.8. I tracked it for 6 months about 3 times per day so I know I have a great baseline.

The thyroid puts out all the stuff it is supposed to but the body is not warm enough for the catalyst to activate the enzymes, so it as if the thyroid is not working at all.

My cousin was diagnosed with this by her doc in SLC and she got a little pill to take and her whole body and personality changed in a couple of weeks.

Here is a link to the page:

http://www.wilsonssyndrome.com/

I have thyroid issues and my doctor did not start treating me with hormones until my thyroid was low (I had hyperthyroid first). I was then put on synthroid and now have my labs drawn pretty regularly. The thyroid seems to be a tricky thing to treat.

I have found it really hard to determine what symptoms are my thyroid disease and what symptoms are from being a tired momma. It sounds like you will need to get some more testing done to get to the bottom of what's going on. Is your internist going to do the testing or an endocrinologist? Either way, get the testing done and put your mind at ease.

Sounds like classic Hashimoto's thyroiditis to me. I was told I was slightly hypo, on synthroid for 10 years. The lab values were within normal, but I felt worse and worse. Then a nodule swelled up and I had a thyroidectomy. Worst decision ever! DO NOT let them remove your thyroid!!! Most docs are dangerously unaware about thyroid issues and how to treat them. Especially endocrinologists, who are supposed to know about it.

stopthethyroidmadness.com is a treasure trove of information and I would seek some online chat groups for thyroidless to talk to others who've been thru it. These two things have helped me far more than the doctors ever did.

1 / 3