Afraid of Being "Put to Sleep"

I go in to have surgery to repair an umblical hernia october 3rd... and Im so nervous about being put to sleep for the procediure. I know another option is to get an epuderal and thats a deffinate no.. Ive had three they've all ended in horrible experiences. So im asking has anyone had this proceidure or a surgery in which you were put under and what were your expeirences? I have a fast heart rate and slightly high blood pressure im worried this will affect me negitivaly while being under. Im so nervous!! I have never been under.

For me it was only a D & C but I was afraid, too. My BP is quite low and I'm on a tricky medication so I was worried for that reason.

I had a wonderful doctor who joked around with me, then asked me to think about the best vacation I could think of. Then off to dreamland I went. Woke up quite 'loving.'

tell them you have anxiety. They can give you something that will help you stay calm when you come out of the anesthesia. They have to give me something everytime I go under because of a panic disorder. talk to them before you go in.

I've been put out three times. Once when I was a teen and had oral surgery. They put the needle in my arm and had me count backwards from 10. I got to 8 before a veil fell over my eyes and I passed out. I woke up groggy in another room, very disorienting, and I was grouchy as all get out. Mom said I took a swing at her when she tried to get me to my feet.

Second time was when I had my emergency c-section. I fell unconscious as they were prepping me for surgery and woke in the ICU to beeping monitors and hissing machines. I was groggy but not in pain because of the drugs.

Just last year I had to have my gallbladder out and they gave me a shot to "make me comfortable" which was really just a heavy duty sedative that had me feeling on top of the world. I think I professed my love to a passing doctor that was really cute.... Shortly after that, they wheeled me into the OR and put something in my IV and before I knew it I found myself waking up in a hospital room with an oxygen tube in my nose and my husband snoring in a chair next to me.

Don't be afraid of going under. Be afraid of the pain of recovery afterwards... that's what'll kick you in the behind.

I don't want to make light of it, but there's nothing to it. You'll need an IV, but once you have that, they administer most of the drugs through the IV. The last time I had a procedure (last week, actually) they had me breath through an oxygen mask. I vaguely remember the doctor telling me to breath in through my nose and out through my mouth. I know he said something else, but I don't remember. The next thing I knew I was in recovery.

Just make sure you are completely upfront about any medical conditions you have. Lots of people have high blood pressure. It's important for them to know, but they know which drugs are the right ones to use. Tell the anesthesiologist about your fears and past experiences. They've heard it all. Hopefully he/she will be able to answer your questions and calm your fears.

Try to relax. You'll be in good hands.

Hey, I'm having an umbilical hernia repair on Oct 1st! Unless baby is born before then. They are doing it when baby arrives with an epidural/c-section. I was glad because I really didnt' want to be put to sleep. And, luckily, I have had good experiences with my two epidurals.

My hubby works in the medical field and says to make sure to tell the anesthesiologist about your issues, and it should be fine as long as he is aware.

Hope it all goes well and your hernia repairs well! They are going to try to fix my muscles too to prevent another hernia from coming. It has mixed results when done right after birth...guess we'll see. It's free, though! My dr isn't charging me for it. So nice!

Oh, and I should add...

I've been put out a couple times. Once was due to some bladder issues as a kid. They were going in to enlarge my bladder hole. I woke up during that. I remember the nurse looking very surprised. I was only 10 yrs old. I didn't feel any pain. I was just awake briefly and then put right out.

The other time was when I was having a stomach scope because of some stomach issues (suspected ulcer), and I woke up as they were putting the scope down my throat...lots of gagging and weird noises. But then I was out really fast when they saw I was awake. My dad later told me that they had a hard time keeping my IV in. They got it in, my arm fell, it fell out. They tried again, a similar thing happened. And I don't remember the rest. So, it sounded more like the dr was being dumb.

Even though I woke up twice and remember it, they responded fast, and I was out again.

How long ago did you have surgery? Are they putting you under using general anesthesia or twilight sleep? (I would bet that with the hernia repair that it has to be general.)

If it was a long time ago that you had problems with anesthesia - the meds are much better now. Your anesthesiologist will monitor you constantly. They know your condition and have dealt with it before. Just remind them over and over of it.

I have had two hernia repairs, both when doing other procedures. (I put off the hernia repair the first time until I had to have an ovarian cyst removed.) So mine were always general anesthesia. I had hand surgery that was twilight sleep. The anesthesiologist told me the next day when she called that they used the same twilight sleep medicine that Michael Jackson took to sleep. (Yeah, the one he died using. His doctor wasn't paying attention to him - he was talking on the phone in another room. It's a medication that should be used in a hospital - not in your bedroom.) Used properly, ahem, it is wonderful, F. - no wonder Michael liked it! I woke from that surgery, totally rested, no headache, no grogginess, feeling great. My husband took me to the IHOP for a late breakfast.

I tell whoever looks at me when I have to have any medical procedure they have to put asleep for, not to give me Demerol. I despise Demerol (they gave it to me when I was in labor with my first child - it took forever to get to 4 cms so I could have an epidural!) It made me drunk, throw up, and didn't help the pain. (Yes, they included an anti-nausea medicine, but it didn't help.) So now they put a red band around my wrist saying NO DEMEROL.

Do you know what meds they used to put you to sleep before? Find out the names, F.. Tell the doctor so that he or she knows not to use it or a close derivative.

You are a partner in your care. Do your best to educate them so that they can help you. This is how you get over being afraid.

I work in a hospital and get patients ready for surgery and work with them afterwards and I also was terrified before I went in. I had to be "put to sleep" for my C-Section. I didn't know this we went in for a scheduled C-Section but found out my platelets were way to low for a spinal. I was terrified due to one it being so short noticed and didn't have time to even process. I walked into the OR they had me lay on a table they draped me and they put the mask over my face and I counted back and was done. It was fine. You should talk to the anesthesiologist before you go in and he/she will answer any question you have. Also if the doctors feel you might be at risk for anything they might do a EKG. That just checks your heart for any irregular beats. I hope all goes well!

I was put under for a hernia and i was nervous too but came out of it just fine, bad thing is the hernia is back and they say to just let it be unless it is creating problems. I think going in knowing you have a fast heart rate and high blood pressure they will monitor what needs to be monitored. Have you ever gone fully under?

I have been put under way too many times that I can count. I have a problem with my neck after surgery a couple years ago so I have injections in my neck to "help" that. It hasn't really helped yet...but that's besides the point. I also have high blood pressure, but I have never had any problems with anesthesia. I think you will be just fine if anything it will calm you down and bring your high blood pressure down for the time being anyways. I don't think you have anything to worry about. God Bless

1 / 3