Adding Flavor to Baby Food

Yesterday I wrote my sitter a note asking her recommendations on getting my 7 month old to eat babyfood. He is on 2nd stages and does not care for it. When I called her last night she said she put sugar in his sweet potatoes. I was a bit upset since I was asking for suggestions and she just went ahead and added it to his food. I don't want him getting used to sugar in his food at such a young age and have to break that later. Has anyone added sugar or stevia or salt to baby food or other condiments that have worked and how did it work out as the child got older?

I added salt substitute, real butter, white pepper (NOT BLACK as it can stop up the intestines) and stevia or xylitol or sugar to my little ones' food. Cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger too! My girls especially loved it when I put cinnamon in their oatmeal or applesauce - the ginger I would put in carrots or sweet potatoes, the nutmeg in rice cereal or vanilla custard. Salt substitute is what I used simply because that is what the rest of the family uses - we rarely use real salt and when we do it is sea salt. I put that and the pepper in their peas and green beans. No harm ever came of it and my children are all good eaters - not picky at all and they all enjoy a wide variety of tastes. Good luck to you!

I never thought about putting sugar on my baby's food but I used to give my babies both veggies and fruit at the same time. it was meant to be dinner (veggies) and fruit (dessert) but my babies were "brats" and refused to eat it that way I eventually started putting the veggies on the spoon first and then the fruit second the baby took the whole bite and didn't realise it. DANG I was inventing a new thing and didn't realize it (V-8 fusion LOL) worked like a charm!!!

I would not add sugar. There is sugar in almost everything processed. My daughter did not like baby food either so I started her on soft solids at first. I tried lots of different foods until I found things she liked. You may have to experiment. Adding fruit is a good thing to introduce in to their diet.

Maybe he's one of those kids who just jumps right to the next stage. My daughter ate by the book (or rather by what the jars say). My son hated baby food. Would not eat it. so we started giving him little bits of what we ate (mashed or smooched (ect.), but he loved it. Never ate the baby food again. My doctor told me it was ok, just not to introduce a bunch of new foods all at once (oh and we didn't add a bunch of seasoning while cooking). Some doctors wouldn't agree. I think you should talk to your doctor and get his/her advice. I would also tell your feelings to your sister. My mother is constantly doing things like that with out my permission. Sometimes I have to remind her that even though she is a good mother, I am the parent and I have my own way of parenting.

We are one of the few cultures on the planet that doesn't add spices or flavor to our baby food. I started adding cinnamon to applesauce and sweet potatoes. Sometimes ginger too. My daughter enjoys lots of flavorful foods now at 2 years old. She will practically drink hot salsa while her older brothers are afraid of it. She even likes the flavors of Thai food.

I'd recommend getting the book Super Baby Food because she'll teach you how to make baby food that your baby will eat - and it's cheap. She has great ideas on what to add for flavor, like ground up sesame seeds. It's incredibly healthy and tastes good too. Don't add sugar or salt - babies don't need that. That book will walk you through everything you'd ever want to know and it's a good read too! Good luck.

I wouldn't add sugar or salt to the baby food. Salt can't be good for a little baby, and if you start adding sugar now, then he'll expect it later on things like Cheerios and oatmeal. Maybe you should just change up what you give him to eat. Try mixing some rice cereal with vanilla yogurt, or rice cereal with applesauce. Or you can try giving him macaroni(cut in half) noodles or rice (only 2 or 3 grains at a time) with low salt chicken stock. Also, your baby is probably getting independant and wanting to feed himself some. Try the Gerber snacks they come in tubes and have different flavors, they are like little cereals, but they melt in the babies mouth, the babies can easily pick them up. I have a 9mo old son and he's been eating them since he was 6mo old. I buy the Wal-Mart generic brand, they're called Parent's choice Little Puffs, they came in a package similar to what Pringles come in. My older daughter ate them too (she's 3 1/2 now)All 3 of my kids liked eating these different things. I have 3 kids, 2 girls aged 5 and 3 1/2 and a baby boy 9mo.

Have you tried changing brands or making your own baby food? Once they hit stage 2, I really found that I would just mash up whatever we were eating and my kids did much better (and it's cheaper!!) At 7 months, I'd still stick to single item things until you know there is no adverse reaction. You know, the real deal -- mashed or baked potatoes, pasta, throw the veggies and fruits in the food processor and pulse just a few times instead of puree. If you're worried about getting all the nutrition, stick with the stage 1 he likes to fill out the menu, introducing the new, chunkier stuff a teeny bit at a time. Good luck!!

I had the same issue with my son (who is now almost 2) but I was breastfeeding & once I stopped breastfeeding, he started to eat more, but I really never got him on baby food. I tried adding applesauce to his cereal & I did A LOT of changing foods - cuz he would eat about 1/2 a jar & that would be it for a week or so. He ate a lot of soft "snacky" foods, & as he got bigger he ate more table foods. Even with that - he is now a really good eater & eats better than my 4 yr old - broccolli, meat, you name it. So don't get discouraged that this will damage his wants for food in the future. But I would definitely NOT add sugar or salt. Hope that helps a little. Good Luck!

1 / 3