A No-sugar Cake Recipe for My Daughter's First Birthday

We are getting ready to celebrate my daughter's first birthday in December. I am looking for a recipe for a no-sugar cake that I can make for her. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

I just made a sugarless banana spice cake in preparation for my daughter's first birthday and it's pretty good. It's from Bob's Red Mill cookbook and has wheat germ and other good ingredients. If you want the full recipe, email me at ____@____.com
jen

I made a great carrot cake sweetened with maple syrup for my daughter's first birthday and a chocolate cake also sweetened with maple syrup for my nephews third. I got both recipes from Feeding the While Family by Cynthia Lair. I made a delicious yam frosting for the carrot cake and it made a beautiful orange cake that i decorated with berries and flowers.

I used this recipe for my daughters first birthday, it was delicious!!! I baked in a heart shaped pan and made cupcakes with the rest of the mix. Good luck and Happy Birthday little one!
Baby's First Birthday Cake (Carrot Cake)
(Makes 1 double-layer 9-inch square cake)

2 1/2 cups thinly sliced carrots
2 1/2 cups apple juice concentrate (you may use slightly less)
1 1/2 cups raisins
Vegetable Spray/Shortening
2 cups whole-wheat flour
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 whole eggs
4 egg whites
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup wheat germ
2 Tbsp low sodium baking powder
1 Tbsp ground cinnamon

Prep: Preheat oven to 350 F. Line two 9 inch square cake pans with waxed paper and spray the paper with vegetable spray/shortening.

1. Combine the carrots with 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons of the juice concentrate in a medium size saucepan.
2. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 15 to 20 mins. Puree in a blender of food processor until smooth.
3. Add the raisins and process until finely chopped. Let mixture cool.
4. Combine the flour, wheat germ, baking powder, and cinnamon in a large mixing bowl. Add 1 1/4 cups juice concentrate, the oil, eggs, egg whites, and vanilla; beat just until well mixed. Fold in the carrot puree and applesauce. Pour the batter into the prepared cake pans.
5. Bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 40 mins. Cool briefly in the pans, then turn out onto wire racks to cool completely. When cool, frost with Cream Cheese Frosting.

this cake recipe was posted on another list I belong to. Somebody in my office baked it and brought it in and I thought it was very good. It was very rich and chocolaty, and
quite tasty! Pretty kid friendly, I think.

Chocolate Cake Recipe

3/4 cup apple juice concentrate
10 tablespoons butter
3 large eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 cup plain yogurt
½ cup lukewarm water
2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup unsweetened cocoa
1 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons salt

Mix all ingredients and pour batter into prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees, until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Serve plain or with unsweetened whipped cream.

You can get some great recipes for cakes with sugar substitutes at http://www.sweetsavvy.com/recipes/category.php?id=Cakes%2...

I want to echo the comment of the responder who said use agave nectar. It really works well in cakes, and it's natural--not manufactured like Splenda or Sweet n Low. I've tried the oatmeal cake and the brownies from the above site and had great results with agave nectar.

for Ellie's first birthday I layered matza (although I was planning to use thin slices of bread, which you could do if you don't have/use matza) with thickened youghurt and berries. The "torte" sat overnight and became moist, delicious, and something I would want her to eat anyway. Just an idea. Happy birthday!

I use Stevia in place of sugar. It's a plant extract and is extremely sweet, so replacement values are approximately 1/8 to 1 (more if you want it sweeter). You'll likely need to add more flour to get the batter to the right texture and I use a bit more leavening (about 1/8 to 1 tsp more) to get the right volume.

Stevia tastes a bit like name brand sugar substitutes, but is 100% natural, is recommended for diabetics as it does not elevate the glycemic index and has the added benefit of fiber! Inulin (a dietary plant fiber) is found in Stevia and some manufacturers (such as Wisdom Herbs) make a Stevia product that incorporates additional Inulin for extra fiber. I buy Inulin on its own and add it to soups, sauces, cereals ... everything ... to bump up fiber content in all our meals.

jen

I use agave necter instead of sugar. You can find it at any health food store and it is YUMMY. No one will ever know. Also we cut out the oils and butter by using applesauce. Yum Yum.

1 / 3