6 Yr Old STILL Coughing, Is It an Allergy?

What are reasons my son could (still) be coughing?? What are natural remedies and ways to prevent coughing?? My son is 6 1/2 yrs old. He has a cough that just won't go away. For approximately 3-4 weeks. Here are things we HAVE tried: expensive a/c filters and changing often, had air ducts cleaned out yesterday afternoon (hadn't though of that 'til then), nightly humidifer, planning on getting multi-room humidifier soon (currently on order). He had walking pneumonia back in January. He seemed to get better from that and was OK for a week. Then began coughing again. The new cough was different from pneumonia cough. Pneumonia cough was deep terrible sounding cough (peditrician said she could here a wheez also). (He was on antibiotics for the penumonia and prescription cough medicine.) (She even prescribed him an inhaler but he got better before we needed to start using that.) My husband says current cough could be allergy related (I guess), but I thought allergies cause itchy, dry eyes, itchy throat, and runny nose?!? can an allergy cause coughing with congestion and NO runny nose, dry eyes?? I don't have allergies myself so need help with diagnosing allergies. We currently give him children's triaminic cold & cough nightime over the counter medicine about every other night (on nights cough is keeping him from getting to sleep). We've used the triamic 4x so far. I guess I'll need to go back to peditrician for his current cough..as I don't want to continue to give him the triaminic as that's not really curing the cough. Any advice on cause and/or treatment?

I would definitely take him back to the doctor. My daughter has had lingering coughs and they got so bad she would gag on her food and throw up b/c she would break out into a coughing fit while she was eating. She also wasn't sleeping at night b/c of it. Her pediatrician gave her Orapred, also known as prednisolone. I was a little worried about giving her a steroid, but 3 days of it, and the cough was gone. Finally some peace for my baby! It has worked for us twice now-- she had RSV when she was a baby and is now prone to catching coughs and may have asthma. I am so thankful for it. We had no side effects from it whatsoever. The stuff pretty much worked immediately.

I don't know if anyone suggested this, but for my son, when he has a bad cough because of allergies, we use his inhaler, and it's much better after just a couple of puffs. I would try using that, if you still have it from when he had pneumonia, just to see if it helps open up his airways.

Sounds like Asthma to me! Especially since your doctor prescribed and inhaler. There are two types of inhalers though. One type is for prevention and the other is when there is a flare-up. Talk to your doctor but the albuterol should help clear it up in 3 days giving him 2 puffs twice a day. If he has flare ups more often then he'll need a preventative. My daughter had that cough/congestion off and on until from 2yrs until 6ys and has now outgrown it. It was hard for me to understand that it was asthma because I never heard her wheezing. But like one of the other mothers said the membranes flare up and it then becomes hard to get the congestion out. The inhaler just helps open those up and allows it to finally clear up. Tarrant Co ranks among the top ten most polluted counties in the whole country. So I truely believe that young children in this area are more suseptalbe to these flare-ups due to the pollution and allergies inducing them. Left untreated he could get pneumonia again or cause damage to his lungs. Trust me, the inhaler is so much easier than hearing your little man struggle with coughing and breathing!

use the inhaler that was prescribed and see if it helps his cough.

The cough could be lingering from the pneumonia. It could also be asthma that was related to the pneumonia. Have you tried the inhaler to see if it helps?

For my son, he had a cough that just wouldn't quit for 3 weeks. We tried every kids OTC medicine. Nothing helped. We took him to the pediatrician 2x. She said it was a cold. We had a planned allergist meeting, and when the allergist walked in, he took one look at my kid and reemed us out! My son was having an asthma attack and getting weaker by the day and minute. He did a lung test on him and my son's intake was in the 70s. It should be above 120. He sent us home with 2 inhalers and a steriod prescription. Within 3 days he was almost cough free. Now we know!

I would take your son back to the dr. and ask him for a nebulizer treatment. If it is asthma, the treatment will help immediately.

By what you describe it doesn't sound likely but one thing to consider is possibly pertussis (whooping cough). This is often called the 100 day cough. I know most people are vaccinated for this but there are many cases of this right now. My son was diagnosed with it two weeks ago and the school said they have had several kids with it already this year (the health dept. said something about the vaccine being changed and not as effective anymore). It never hurts to have him tested just in case...especially if he is coughing really hard or mostly at night.

My daughter (almost 7) has had a chronic cough every winter for her whole life. It started with RSV at age 3 months. As a toddler she would get bronchitis and pneumonia. She used a nebulizer pretty much all winter. Then as she started getting older, it was like an annoying "post-nasal" drip cough. She wasn't sick, and had no runny nose. I took her to an allergist but she tested negative for allergies. He called it Vasomotor Rhinitis and put her on Nasonex. It helped for several months, but this past fall the cough started up again. Not sick, but she sounded stuffy all the time and had to breathe thru her mouth. She needed Delsym to sleep at night. I called the allergist back and he suggested that her adenoids could be enlarged. Sure enough, a visit to the ENT confirmed it and they came out 10 days ago. He said the cough was from constant post nasal drip from the enflamed adenoids. Now, she breathes clearly and the cough is almost completely gone, on NO meds. Sooo, you might want to take him to an allergist or ENT... good luck!

It is common for a cough to linger on that long after a cold or flu. The mucous membranes remain irritated. Three to four weeks after pneumonia is not long at all. Sometimes it lingers because the cough becomes a habit.

I would not assume it's caused by allergies. It's best to not give medicine unless it's needed. I would call the advice nurse and ask about it.

You said he had walking pneumonia? Well... then coughing for this long especially after having pneumonia is normal. If he'd had a chest cold I would still say that it's normal to have a lingering cough.

Ask the pediatrician, but he should be able to take the pediatric version of Delsym cough syrup. It doesn't have anything else in it except the treatment of coughing. I wouldn't give a child Cold & Cough medicine unless they have symptoms of a cold WITH a cough. The Delsym is wonderful for quieting a cough, but making it productive when you do have to cough. It also works for a solid 12 hours and is non-drowsy but it shouldn't make your child hyperactive either.

It's a lifesaver in our house.

Remember that a cough is a symptom. The cough isn't what needs to be "cured" but whatever is causing it. And a lingering cough after an illness like pneumonia could mean that his lungs are still expelling fluid. In other words, not allergy.

1 / 3