5 Weeks Pregnant and Can't Sleep

Just found out a week ago that I am pregnant with # 4. My question is with the other 3 I never had a problem sleeping until late pregnancy - is it common to have it in the beginning? I wake up between 1-3am and CAN'T go back to sleep. I am so tired - I don't nap or anything and I do have a full time job so I need rest.

I had HORRIBLE insomnia with my daughter. I was so tired that I couldn't function and would just cry. I finally called my doctor. He said it was totally common in early pregnancy and told me that I could take Benadryl to knock me out and that it would in no way harm the baby. Worked like a charm.

I also recently found out I'm pregnant (with #5, not exactly planned) and I, too, haven't been sleeping well. I've never had a problem sleeping in my life-- except in late pregnancy, as you mentioned, when it's hard to get comfortable. My problem is falling asleep and staying asleep. Although nothing is wrong I just can't get comfortable. I toss and turn. When I finally fall asleep I'm prone to waking up in the middle of the night to toss and turn again.

I've never had this with my other pregnancies, so I thought it was pretty weird myself. No answers here, just a "Me too!"

During my first trimester I was lucky enough to only have two symptoms - sore boobs and insomnia. That was the only time in my life I've ever had trouble sleeping and it was exactly like what you're describing. It did go away around the end of the first trimester (only to be replaced by getting up to pee!), and I did not feel like I was anxious or stressed about anything, although pregnancy certainly affords that opportunity. I think it was just hormones. Here's an article that may be helpful. Good luck and congratulations!

http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancyhealth/insomnia...

Oh my. I have a nine month old and a 2 year old and I did not sleep during either pregnancy. I think for some people it gets better during the second trimester, I can't say that was the situation for me with either. I'm sorry you are going through this, it's tough. I felt like white noise helped a little..... I did not know my husband snored until I was pregnant - even the slightest noise from him would wake me up - and worse yet - keep me from going back to sleep. The amount of late night TV I watched was embarrassing - especially the soap channel, I got all caught up on General Hospital. We ended up in separate beds during both pregnancies, which was hard at the time, but in retrospect, not that big of a deal.
However, on the bright side, the newborn phase was a breeze because I felt like I was getting more sleep, and most of all, better sleep, than I had in months..... don't know if that makes you feel better or worse.........
Hang in there. I wish I could tell you a magic answer, but instead I'll tell you you are not alone.......

Wow, what a spread! Congratulations...Yes, the insomnia sucks...of course, check with your Dr. first (because everyone is different)...but I was told Unisom was safe and that is what I took when I was pregnant. Funny, I woke up between 1-3 too...must be some sick joke of God! LOL... Anyway, if you take a unisom about 9pm it should work the better part of the night (at least till 5am).

I agree with the yoga and meditation idea but with your clan, it may not be as feasible as you'd like. Best of luck to you!

Take up yoga. Go to the library and check out a video on pregnancy yoga. I did yoga all the way up to the night before I popped with my second one and slept well the entire time. With my first pregnancy I couldn't sleep past 6 months - but that was before I started doing yoga! Yoga yoga yoga! I swear by it even now!

When I was first pregnant all I did was sleep. I think I was in bed by 8pm most nights. But every pregnancy is different. Are you stressed? I cant sleep when Im really stressed out about something.

That is definitely an early sign of pregnancy for me. Usually it's my first clue that I'm pg! I hope you can get some sleep soon...even if it's a nap or 2 during the day.

1 / 3