4 Year Old Cut Her Own Hair

I woke up this morning to my daughters once all one length blonde hair that has taken over 4 years to grow in chopped off in a big chunk on her bangs. I am really upset. Has anyone else experienced this lately. I could use some words of encouragement and maybe a laugh. Needless to say I had to give her an emergency haircut this morning. She is now sporting a chin length bob with some chunky semi straight bangs!!!!!!!!! I am a banker not a hairdresser. LOL!!!!

Thaks for all of your stories. It gave me a good laugh. Her hair really looks decent at best. The only part that is really bad is a small part on the side which thank god her big chunky bangs cover. On Chirstmas Eve before Church she asked me if she could put this bow in her hair. She said maybe it will cover my bald spot. I laughed so hard. She actually does have a bald spot but you can't see it!!! Too funny.

Awww I'm sorry that would totally bum me out too...my daughter almost three has barely any hair...I await that day to happen.....it scares me. My sympathy is with you :(

Are you a CityMommy Yet?
Joine: http://portland.citymommy.com

OMG My almost 4YO did the same thing this morning. I've been trying to get her hair all one length but she cut a chunk out of her bangs cause they were in her eyes (I was wrapping presents and left the scissors out). I just left it maybe after enough people ask her what she did she will realize it was not a good idea cause she doesnt like when people ask her questions LOL

Take photos. One day you will see the humor and appreciate the humor, perhaps not today or this week though. Look at it this way, you saved money on a haircut. And it is winter so if necessary she can wear hats for a few months.

Many years ago I got a tearful phone call from my friend across the street. Preschool pictures with being done first thing in the morning and her daughter had just cut her bangs 'because they were in my eyes'. She had 2 boys before having a girl and I had 2 girls at the time so she wondered if I could take a look and see if there was a fix.

I went over and Annie had cut a clump out of her bangs right in the middle and right up to the root. Well gel could have kept the rest of the bangs back along with a couple little hair clips but I gave my friend a hug and told her to just let them take the picture with the clump cut out of the bangs. It'll be the most precious picture you'll look at in a few years. She did just that. Annie is now 24 yrs old and every time I look at that picture it makes me smile.

I'm sure the hair meant more to you (and maybe Daddy) than it does to her. After all, it DOES grow back. My kids never did this, but it's kind of par for the course that if something is important to parents, kids want to find out 'why?'. I have 4 grown kids and 3 little 'Grands', and the middle 'Grand' (boy) is very sensitive and gentle natured, but if you tell him NOT to do something, that's when he decides it's time to find out 'why not?', and he goes and does it! EEK!

My sister cleaned house years ago for a doctor's family of 3 little boys. One morning she went to the house and found one of the boys with a very 'unusual' haircut, and asked him, "Who cut your hair?" His response: "I cut it, and Mommy cut it, and Daddy cut it, and the barber cut it!" LOL

When I was in second grade this sister of mine (9 yrs older) cut my hair for my school pictures, and she kind of 'ran out of hair before the job was done', if you know what I mean. I also had my 2 front teeth out and held my mouth shut (which is unusual for me! LOL). I was mortified when the pictures came, but it's now probably my favorite (and most memorable) school picture.

This, too, shall pass!

Awww... what is it about four year olds and cutting their own hair? My daughter, who is also four (surprise, surprise), took some scissors to the hair on the right side of her face. She always parts her hair to the right, so it was a little unnoticeable. That night at dinner, she had what looked like long bangs that swept her face. My husband, who never notices anything I do with my hair...drastic or subtle, asked her if she had cut her hair. She tried to lie and say she didn't. Days later, I found the scissors outside in the bushes!

My girls are 18 and 22 now. The oldest did this the night before her first ballet recital! We had been growing her hair out so that it could go up in a bun with no bangs. We ended up using a tube of super gel to hold all the little pieces up -- she had the shiniest head on stage!

I do have to warn you it doesn't end! My youngest came home at 17 and had cut off all of her beautiful long, long, long, blondish-brown hair to a chin length bob - died it jet black with very blonde streaks! She loved the effect so we just let it go and she has since gone back to a more natural color.

A., your comment about the bow in her hair was so cute! :) I cut my own hair when I was 5yo and ended up with a "boy cut" to make it all match. My niece (4yo) just cut her own hair two weeks ago and now has very short hair as well after getting it fixed the best they could. Like everyone said, thank God hair grows back!

Are you a CityMommy Yet?
Joine: http://portland.citymommy.com

I am also a little late on this one, but I felt the need to respond. I did this to my hair approximately around the same age. Well, my mom tried to fix it (not good) she made it worse; she had to call my babysitter to come over and fix it really late at night. The sitter could have died when she seen my hair and what my mother had done trying to fix it. An older cousin of mine happen to see me a few days after the babysitter had fixed it (now being extremely short) he was hysterical and gave me a nickname (Billy Boy) he said I looked just like a little boy at that point. I am now 32 and to this day he calls me Billy Boy. Sometimes what we think is tragic at the time turn out to be the best memories!

lol!!! I have 7 kids, so this has happened more than oce here! Once my dd cut all the hair on the right side of her head, leaving the left side long. Another time, a ds cut his sisters hair (at her request) and gave her bangs, cut right up at the scalp.
Words of encouragement: TAKE A DEEP BREATH, hair grows! No permenent damage.

1 / 3